DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BestBuy tried to get the best of me on a exchange...

silverdragon

Reactions
Mavic Mini history, it goes into Critical Battery landing mode... It did it on all 3 batteries. APRIL 29th is the last day to return or exchange...
I drive up to the curbside service, the fellow walks up to my door and asks what can I do for you? I reply " I have a Mavic Mini that goes into critical battery and auto land on all full 100% charged batteries (3) of them on every take off....he asks what do I want to do? I reply " even exchange " he then takes the Mavic Mini and takes it inside to inspect and make sure everything is there. He then comes back out to my car and says he has 1 left in stock and if I want it.... I reply yes... he then proceeds to ring it out and comes back and says I have a $79.84 balance... it's a 15% restocking fee...

I Then with a louder tone what.. " You mean to tell me you sell me a defective drone and on top of that your going to charge me $80 to exchange it.... I said to him" Are you ok? #1 Your not charging me anything for an exchange.... #2 let me talk to your manager?

# 3 your not going to restock this because its defective...He then says the manager is not here so he calls him and tells him what is going on and the manager tells him to do a even exchange..no charge.. so the salesman does just that... I brought the mini home and took it for a test ride. It works as it should... Imagine that.....

Last edited:
Mavic Mini history, it goes into Critical Battery landing mode... It did it on all 3 batteries. APRIL 29th is the last day to return or exchange...
I drive up to the curbside service, the fellow walks up to my door and asks what can I do for you? I reply " I have a Mavic Mini that goes into critical battery and auto land on all full 100% charged batteries (3) of them on every take off....he asks what do I want to do? I reply " even exchange " he then takes the Mavic Mini and takes it inside to inspect and make sure everything is there. He then comes back out to my car and says he has 1 left in stock and if I want it.... I reply yes... he then proceeds to ring it out and comes back and says I have a $79.84 balance... it's a 15% restocking fee...

I Then with a louder tone what.. " You mean to tell me you sell me a defective drone and on top of that your going to charge me $80 to exchange it.... I said to him" Are you ok? #1 Your not charging me anything for an exchange.... #2 let me talk to your manager?

# 3 your not going to restock this because its defective...He then says the manager is not here so he calls him and tells him what is going on and the manager tells him to do a even exchange..no charge.. so the salesman does just that... I brought the mini home and took it for a test ride. It works as it should... Imagine that.....
Happy ending, that's the main thing. lol

We have all been there. Awesome outcome.

Wow, I purchased my drone from Best Buy. So far no problems. I’m going on my 2nd week, with 15 completed flights. I do have geek square insurance or whatever bs they call it. I will use these tips if they try to hit me with a restocking fee.
That is a bit shady for them to try to hit you with a restocking fee.

they tell you at the time of the sale there will be a restocking fee. I bought my M2P from them Oct of '18 and before they even rung me out they went over the possibility of a restocking fee if i returned or exchanged it... so not sure where the shocker is on having that?

I'm glad that buyers here in the UK and Europe are protected. No such thing as restocking fees.

Reactions: ff22
I have taken back 2 drones in the past from Best Buy never had a problem even exchange. 15% stocking fee is only if you ask for a full refund. I love the return policy. You have to make sure those sales guys in there know what they’re doing because a lot of them are not too bright. Millennials. ? If there is not a app for it there lost.

Reactions: bcfd29 and ff22
they tell you at the time of the sale there will be a restocking fee. I bought my M2P from them Oct of '18 and before they even rung me out they went over the possibility of a restocking fee if i returned or exchanged it... so not sure where the shocker is on having that?
Not to be rude or disrespect your reply but you say they told me at the time of sale that theres a 15% restocking fee. Wow, you were there behind me in line and you heard them tell me that? I didnt hear them say that part.

Not to be rude or disrespect your reply but you say they told me at the time of sale that theres a 15% restocking fee. Wow, you were there behind me in line and you heard them tell me that? I didnt hear them say that part.
then your sale guy was lazy. or new. i was just merely stating the fact i was told, and they pretty much tell anyone

No business should charge for replacing a product they sold when it was defective out of the box. This example is not an exchange or return. Cashiers don’t always understand. The manager did understand. Kudos to to him and the OP for pressing his tights in the face of ignorance.

then your sale guy was lazy. or new. i was just merely stating the fact i was told, and they pretty much tell anyone
Just playing with it. Your right about that. If it where a Mavic 2 Pro and it was a defective out of the box and you brought it back to exchange and you had to pay 15% restocking fee which happens to be about $250 you would get upset a bit. The salesman was so sure that he was going to get $80 to exchange a defective drone the store sold me in the first place. Naaa. Homey don’t play that...

From BestBuy, I've purchased 3 Mavic platforms, and other items that fall into this silly restocking category over several years. Never once on Drones, Cameras, Security systems, Tablets, etc has any BestBuy Salesman (multiple stores, multiple states) told me about a restocking fee. As a Elite Plus member, not sure if that changes anything... doubt it.

Adding to that, spontaneously purchased a DJI FPV combo kit today... walking through and noticed they had one. When purchased, they worked hard to sell their "Beta Program"... one of the reasons was that it provided 60 days over ElitePlus 45 days to return the Drone. This was at the Customer Service Counter with 5 staff present... not one injected a correction statement.

I haven't decided if this little FPV is needed, or I'm capable to adjust to FPV... just an impulse buy due to all the chatter on FPV model. I may return it or sit on it... normally I'm anxious to open up and examine & touch... with all this chatter on restocking fee... I'll just leave it unopened for now.

The restocking fee is something new, I can recall a time of no-questions return... video cameras, etc had a shorter window but still no issues or restocking fees.... especially 15% robbery. I certainly don't see a 15% markdown in the Returned Merchandise section.

What's particularly wrong to hit Customer up for 15% on Drones and a few other items. For DJI Drones, due to initial setup and DJI registration that can't be changed from 1st Owner, it's a Return to DJI for system wipe & refurb sale; not an open box Sale Item for BestBuy anyway. BestBuy Company receives full credit on their DJI Company Returns... no penalties or restocking.

All the BestBuy restocking comments got me to hold on breaking seal & opening... went in and inquired at Store, found a Manager.

The restocking fee applies only to certain States that allow it. Several States, such as Iowa do not... so no restocking fee or shorter return periods... as ElitePlus, have 45 days.

Incidently, Manager agreed... it's technically not even in a Restocking category, it's a mandate return to DJI since 1st Registered Owner remains associated with serial.... not Resalable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada