DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Better to store with charged or discharged batteries?

attman53

Reactions
Sorry, I have a question to ask those who have more experience than I do; if you don't plan on flying for a few weeks, is it better to store your MM and RC with your batteries charged or discharged? If the drone has not been used for 3 or 4 weeks after storing it with charged batteries, is it necessary to recharge everything before flying? Thanks to everyone who wants to help me!

Sorry, I have a question to ask those who have more experience than I do; if you don't plan on flying for a few weeks, is it better to store your MM and RC with your batteries charged or discharged? If the drone has not been used for 3 or 4 weeks after storing it with charged batteries, is it necessary to recharge everything before flying? Thanks to everyone who wants to help me!
drop them down to between 50 to 65% and you will be fine thats all batteries drone and controller just have a look at them after a couple of weeks and make sure they are stored in a cool dry safe place, then before you fly again make sure you charge them fully

drop them down to between 50 to 65% and you will be fine thats all batteries drone and controller just have a look at them after a couple of weeks and make sure they are stored in a cool dry safe place, then before you fly again make sure you charge them fully
And if you don’t fly for longer periods check them monthly.

By defalult, the batteries will self-discharge to 50% after 10 days, IIRC. You can set this yourself to something more appropriate to your flying pattern to avoid unnecessary charge cycles as well, e.g. if you can only fly every other weekend they you might want to set it to 14 days instead. They'll hold that charge level quite well for some time, but as noted above, for longer term storage just push the button to check every month or so and give them a charge once they get down to maybe 25% or so.

It's also generally a good idea to store batteries (of any type) that are on the shelf outside the device for any periods of downtime longer than a few days, and ideally in such a way that they cannot be accidentally shorted. I use some of those LiPo Safe bags for this as they give some additional padding against accidental knocks as well, but practice any non-conductive bag or box will do - or even some tape at a pinch. Some people also store them in a fire resistant container like an ammo box so that if they do cook off (it's rare, but it happens) it can't start a more serious fire.

By defalult, the batteries will self-discharge to 50% after 10 days, IIRC. You can set this yourself to something more appropriate to your flying pattern to avoid unnecessary charge cycles as well, e.g. if you can only fly every other weekend they you might want to set it to 14 days instead. They'll hold that charge level quite well for some time, but as noted above, for longer term storage just push the button to check every month or so and give them a charge once they get down to maybe 25% or so.

It's also generally a good idea to store batteries (of any type) that are on the shelf outside the device for any periods of downtime longer than a few days, and ideally in such a way that they cannot be accidentally shorted. I use some of those LiPo Safe bags for this as they give some additional padding against accidental knocks as well, but practice any non-conductive bag or box will do - or even some tape at a pinch. Some people also store them in a fire resistant container like an ammo box so that if they do cook off (it's rare, but it happens) it can't start a more serious fire.
@zocalo please don't take offence but the batteries for the MM do not have a self discharge setting like the other mavics

@zocalo please don't take offence but the batteries for the MM do not have a self discharge setting like the other mavics

No offence taken - glad to be corrected! I know the MM is stripped down feature-wise, but I didn't realise DJI has removed what I would consider a pretty significant safety and longevity feature of LiPos. I expect DJI's reasoning is that smaller batteries equate to less risk and less painful to replace when they wear out.

I guess you're meant to discharge them manually by running it in a hover in that case, assuming you haven't already run them down to a suitable percentage range on your last proper flight.

Reactions: old man mavic
No offence taken - glad to be corrected! I know the MM is stripped down feature-wise, but I didn't realise DJI has removed what I would consider a pretty significant safety and longevity feature of LiPos. I expect DJI's reasoning is that smaller batteries equate to less risk and less painful to replace when they wear out.

I guess you're meant to discharge them manually by running it in a hover in that case, assuming you haven't already run them down to a suitable percentage range on your last proper flight.
actually if you purchase the flymore combo then the hub that comes with it allows you to discharge them by using it as a power bank

Reactions: WooZie and Capt KO
I carry a spare battery pack with me that I use to both charge and discharge the mini batteries.

Reactions: WooZie
I may be wrong, but I think the mini has lithium ion batteries rather than lithium polymer so would that make a difference. Great question, btw!

Reactions: Thomas B
The Mini uses metal can Li-Ion which are less prone to swelling.
Mid charge level is ideal but if choosing between fully charged and nearly empty (as indicated by %), I'd side on discharged, as long as you don't leave it that way so long that the self-discharge doesn't take it below level of no return.

However it probably would take an awfully long time to die due to self discharge. I have P3 batteries that I haven't used for months and they still have one steady LED and one blinking.

The MM uses a Lithium Ion battery, not LiPos. There are those who say it’s not important to discharge them as required by other Mavics. There are also those who disagree with this. I keep mine charged and ready to go. My Nikon D7100 DSLR uses Li-Ion batteries and I have kept them fully charged and ready to go for four years now without any noticeable shortening of battery life. There was a thread about 3 weeks ago on the same subject. You can do a search and get more information there on both sides of the issue. Best wishes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: old man mavic
I may be wrong, but I think the mini has lithium ion batteries rather than lithium polymer so would that make a difference. Great question, btw!
Just saw a video on youtube about this. He says they are different batteries and dont auto-discharge, like the smart batteries for mavic and such. Oldman Mavic is right! Again! BTW, this is not Oldman Mavic in the video.

Just saw a video on youtube about this. He says they are different batteries and dont auto-discharge, like the smart batteries for mavic and such. Oldman Mavic is right! Again! BTW, this is not Oldman Mavic in the video.

@WerePig thanks for clearing that up he is a lot younger than me ,i try to give a correct answer if i can,and appreciate your comments

Reactions: Dbez1 and WooZie

This makes sense. I think, also due to the portability, ease and speed from storage to flight they figure you will be flying a lot more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786