DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of knock off ND filters..

FlyLikeMarv

Reactions
after a long hike I thought I was able to relax and take my drone for a spin at glider's point(southern California), boy it all went down hill..took it out from my bag. I had the 'knock off' filter on them. While at home a few days back, I already had issues first time putting it on MUI not initilizing, but my idiot self thought it could work, a put a little pressure on the gimbal to put on, after a couple tries, well it did initialize. everything was good right? well no, got the notorious gimbal overload error first thing out in the field...

I'm always careful carrying my drone, never a had a crash. I only take it out from my room if I feel like using them..

So we all know the deal with gimbal overload error. I think I've pretty much watched all the videos on YT that may fix it without dissecting it from inside out (replacing the ribbon cable)..the 90 degrees temp fix does work but haven't tried it in action. I heard their all this random errors will show up so I'm having second thoughts if I should even try it out...

Already bought the replacement ribbon from amazon coming in 2 days, already got the necessary tools to take it apart. Mixed with excitement and worries that I might forget a step or two. Just got to be extra careful!

Wish me luck! I'll post an update after a week or so.

oh the filters I got from amazon. Don't let the reviews deceive you..
going cheap served me right..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZVK8B2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fell free to suggest nd filters that you're using and assures that will NOT break the very precious sensitive gimbal..

Reactions: mkdive
I was referring to filters made or sells by AQGOODLIFE on amazon. Probably the way it was made, it had some kind of rubber at the end, so you had to put a little pressure so it covers the camera completely all the way in..

oh okay. They probably are, I have no idea. It just happens to be that the error started happening when I got the filter a few days back. Have you ever had any problems during initialization process?

You can trim some of the rubber gasket to make it easier to insert. You don't need the filters to be on so tight that you have to manhandle the gimbal/camera to put it on or take it off.

The movement of the gimbal doesn't generate enough angular momentum to fling the filter off to warrant such a tight fit.

I had the 'knock off' filter on them. While at home a few days back, I already had issues first time putting it on MUI not initilizing, but my idiot self thought it could work, a put a little pressure on the gimbal to put on, after a couple tries, well it did initialize. everything was good right? well no, got the notorious gimbal overload error first thing out in the field...

I'm assuming you've taken off the filter and retried the startup without it ... ?

Just read the reviews on your filters. They stated that there were hard to get off and that they were to big or heavy so that the gimbal calibration usually failed. Even PolarPro's first filters were to big, causing gimbal failure. Since their first release, the filters were modified and now work. Hopefully PolarPro destroyed the bad filters, but you never know, were more than likely, sold to a reseller like the one you experienced. I did a lot of research on filters before buying and am very happy with the ones I got. Go on and off easy and not calibration issues.

Just read the reviews on your filters. They stated that there were hard to get off and that they were to big or heavy so that the gimbal calibration usually failed. Even PolarPro's first filters were to big, causing gimbal failure. Since their first release, the filters were modified and now work. Hopefully PolarPro destroyed the bad filters, but you never know, were more than likely, sold to a reseller like the one you experienced. I did a lot of research on filters before buying and am very happy with the ones I got. Go on and off easy and not calibration issues.

mind sharing what kind of filters you got? I'm shopping around for one while waiting for my ribbon replacement.

I got
SKYREAT DJI Mavic Pro Lens Filters Polarizer Multi-coated Series-4 Pack(UV/ND4PL/ND8PL/ND16PL) from Amazon. Couple poor reviews, but mostly good ones. Good return policy.
I am not
affiliated with neither skyreat nor amazon.

U get crap quality filters and then u get decent ones. I have KNOCK OFF filters. Been flying with them since day one. I use Freewell ones. I keep an ND8 on my drone almost all the time. If I fly early morning or early Eve I remove it. I've never had failures, gimbal errors or any of the stuff u mention EVER. I've flown over 120 miles on my drone

Reactions: Mike_Jaxson
folks, im not trying to bash the other filters, not my intention at all. I just wanted to share my own experience with the ones I got. If you have better experience with other brands/seller, then good for you. I just happen to have bought the bad quality filters.

Reactions: Dogstr
Didn't think you were. It is good to know when certain products work and when they don't. and like for you they didn't, but maybe for someone else they did. That is with any thing you buy. You do you research and when you are comfortable, you make the best decision you can at the time, based on what you know. And hopefully they is always a way back. i.e. return or exchange. I hope you can return them and get some that work for you.

Reactions: Prado man
Hopefully PolarPro destroyed the bad filters, but you never know, were more than likely, sold to a reseller like the one you experienced.

We have not at any point provided filters that were known to cause calibration trouble to any of our resellers. Once the decision was made to redesign the Mavic filters, we began taking the older models out of circulation. Due to the sheer number of filters sent out prior to this (the Mavic filters are very popular) it is sometimes still possible to find older units at some retailers, but all of the new units we have been shipping out to both retailers and customers have been the new models. We want everyone to have the best possible experience with our filters, so in the event someone does end up with an older set somehow, we are happy to exchange it for a new set.

- Oliver from PolarPro

Wow. Thank you for the great information. I know PolarPro makes good products and am pleased to hear that you take care of you customers.

Wow. Thank you for the great information. I know PolarPro makes good products and am pleased to hear that you take care of you customers.

You're welcome! We know there is some confusion out there around the different filter generations and we're always happy to help clear things up. Please feel free to email [email protected] anytime if you have any further questions for us.

- Oliver from PolarPro

These look very similar to the "Sunnylife" 6 x filter set I purchased. All 6 failed Gimbal self test. After dialogue with eBay seller and sending video of them all failing selftest I was offered a refund. No return necessary. So once I didn't have to send them back I made a small lathe from a power screwdriver and a cork and sanded down the edges until they all passed self test. Search on YouTube for Sunnylife. Caveat Emptor

Reactions: MrsTreat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut