DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of Temp NFZ Activating while your in the Air. Drone downed by DJI

bkushner

Reactions
So today I was flying where I fly all the time over the Delaware River in Philadelphia. I'm flying along around 192 feet (max height in area) when all of a sudden the drone starts beeping and LANDING. I Tried to head for land but didn't have much speed as the drone descended right into the River.

What happened was at 6:05PM a Temp NFZ went into effect for the Phillies game. No warning, no change to waiver which you can do if you take off while Temp NFZ is in place just right into the drink.

To say I'm pissed would be an understatement. I fly often and safe and to lose my drone for a temp NFZ miles away is wrong. Why doesn't the drone immediately return to home when this scenario occurs? Why not give you some time to land safely? Taking control away and landing the drone ANYWHERE is wrong and dangerous. How hard would it be to send the drone home and force the landing?

All I can say is beware out there of these temp NFZ that pop up. I am selling my P4P V2 and will not purchase any further DJI equipment. Going with Autel EVO for now. If anyone is interested in the controller let me know will sell for fair price. Extra batteries already sold.

Reactions: kem and dawgpilot
Hmm. First time I heard of this. Do you have the flight log? If it’s definitely cause by the temp NFZ, I would be asking DJI for a replacement.
I've heard of it before. There was a guy here [Language removed by Moderator] for a while maybe a year ago where his drone autolanded in the middle of a freeway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kem
You flew with Litchi. The logs doesn't show the typical message, so it seems like it's speculation that it's due to the temp NFZ?
If it started to land, couldn't you cancel and fly back? Last log says it's re-established connection with your drone, so it didn't drown?

You flew with Litchi. The logs doesn't show the typical message, so it seems like it's speculation that it's due to the temp NFZ?
If it started to land, couldn't you cancel and fly back? Last log says it's re-established connection with your drone, so it didn't drown?
It autolanded at 6:05 PM the exact time the temp NFZ started. It drowned did you see the -24 feet? The reconnection was me starting my P4P 7 minutes later I never exited the Litchi screen.

I would still report to DJI, tell them they have a flaw with the programming. Get a replacement. Then sell it with the remote, if you plan to move away from DJI. It'll probably help other DJI owners if DJI is aware of this flaw in the software and fix it.

Reactions: pvs and RogerMav
I'm gonna go back out to the area I flew yesterday, there is another Temp NFZ at 6:05 PM. I am going to go up OVER LAND and see what it does. I have my P4P and a borrowed M2P. Gonna be in DJIGO4 this time instead of Litchi and see if I get any options once auto landing starts. Will report back if I can pull it off.

Sorry for my English.
I have situation,then fly near with red "no fly" zone.
So just try not fly into this zone.
But.. for few seconds fly into red and come some pop-up message on screen..
Dont know what exactly in this message, but just have time read in the end.. "...no fly zone.Auto landing..3..2...1.."
I have water down. Sea. Just push stick back, and go out from red zone..
So craazy.. I don't understand why dji not return drone just home or dont give more time for understanding... :(((

Reactions: wagslarr
NLD works on everything except the Air. M2P, fw 0100.
After removing the NFZ, can you then load newer firmware or must you stay with 0100? But then just avoid updating the NFZ or location data base that it always offers when starting up again?

You have to stay on 0100 until the newer firmware is supported.
Always decline the NFZ update and it will fly anywhere.
After removing the NFZ, can you then load newer firmware or must you stay with 0100? But then just avoid updating the NFZ or location data base that it always offers when starting up again?

Thanks for doing the experiment. DJI definitely owes you a drone, and I think they need to fix this. It should RTH, and pilot cant cancel. It shouldn’t just land immediately.
Please bring this to DJI’s attention, tell them they should fix the software. And send you a new drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007