DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware Sport Mode

Former Member

Reactions
Quick fact. Did you know that 75% of the drones I repair arrive with the controller in Sport Mode? Is there a design flaw with sports mode that allows the drone to crash? Nope. It's pilot error 100% of the time.

Do yourself a favor. Slow it down chief! Unless you want to have to send me that dreaded email that begins with, "I was flying in sport mode when..."

Sport Mode is awesome for jetting out to a location quickly then switching to P Mode / Intelligent Flight Mode to "get the shot". Then switching to Sport Mode to jet on back to the Home Point.

Its also amazing to do tail stands in mid air. Sport Mode full pass in front of you at a fairly low altitude and then pressing the pause button on the remote controller.

The speed and velocity that the Mavic's can attain while in a non-obstacle sensored mode should be respected though and its not a beginner mode for sure.

Sport Mode full pass in front of you at a fairly low altitude and then pressing the pause button on the remote controller.

Never tried that! Im afraid the drone would go one way and the props would go another!

How many G's do you think the drone is pulling when you do that? Just wondering...

A ton! The Mavic litterally tail stands in the air from approx 40 mph and I know that there must be incredible forces that are being generated on the arms.

I have done it many times in the past as it is a crowd pleaser. Lots of ooooohhh's and aaaaaahhhh's like watching fireworks. It can be addicting!Mavic_Pro_Tailstandjpg.jpg

Last edited:
I have a confession to make - despite all the good advice here, I was recently photographing for mapping practice an archaeological site on a rock outcrop with an overhanging tree next to it, and the sensors wouldnt let me get under the overhead tree branches a foot or so above my drone where I wanted to shoot the bedrock, so I used sport mode to override it and complete my shots. Risky? Yeah, but the only risk was to the drone. I would not have done it had I been out around public. It worked well, but I knew the thing could easily go south if I wasnt careful with it at the controls.

Note to self. I want to fly with @AMann . Archaeological sites with rock outcroppings. Sounds rather fun!

You took the fast mode to disable sensors rather than going into the app and disabling them. Its a time saver for sure , but risky as small stick inputs equal large movements.
Definately small sticking it - was on my last battery and running low- few shots left so I rushed it. Got the shots but definitely sweating it.

Have to disagree,
For some the P mode is fine, or sport.
Anyone that has flown fast RC aircraft- be it a fixed wing or a heli, the Mavic's sport mode is painfully slow.
I opted for the sport mode+ mod for reason mentioned by BDOG. Try to get to the spot fast where I want to take pics, do my thing, and jet back.
Sport+ mode is also excellent to fight head wind. Love it!
Think of it like the pro fisherman with a 200-300 horsepower 19 foot shallow fishing boat. They just want to get to their fishing spot fast fish around and get the heck out of there quick.
Will the day come when the mavic needs repair? yes, most likely.

I have a confession to make - despite all the good advice here, I was recently photographing for mapping practice an archaeological site on a rock outcrop with an overhanging tree next to it, and the sensors wouldnt let me get under the overhead tree branches a foot or so above my drone where I wanted to shoot the bedrock, so I used sport mode to override it and complete my shots. Risky? Yeah, but the only risk was to the drone. I would not have done it had I been out around public. It worked well, but I knew the thing could easily go south if I wasnt careful with it at the controls.
Sounds like we have a lot in common AMann, exploring archaeological or historical sites in California. I too use high tech drones including Mavic 2 Pro, but I disable sensors and fly in P mode, then when in areas needing to slow down switch to Tri-pod mode. Also, in P mode with sensors off one can still easily maneuver with short stick movements in tight quarters.

I fly in entrances of rock caves searching for Native American pictographs up on sides of mountains, from great distances of launch area.

Give it a try, if you know the terrain you really don’t need the safety sensors. They auctually can create an issue, you want full maneuverable.

Good luck,
Paul

Quick fact. Did you know that 75% of the drones I repair arrive with the controller in Sport Mode? Is there a design flaw with sports mode that allows the drone to crash? Nope. It's pilot error 100% of the time.

Do yourself a favor. Slow it down chief! Unless you want to have to send me that dreaded email that begins with, "I was flying in sport mode when..."
I agree, for my type of flying really don’t need Sport mode. I’m trying to conserve battery, covering a lot of terrain for research purposes and P-Mode is perfect with Tri- Pod mode for those extremely tight areas. Don’t use obstacle mode either, it auctually can create issues.

P-Mod is fast enough, and it conserves Battery.

Great post!
Paul

Have to disagree,
For some the P mode is fine, or sport.
Anyone that has flown fast RC aircraft- be it a fixed wing or a heli, the Mavic's sport mode is painfully slow.
I opted for the sport mode+ mod for reason mentioned by BDOG. Try to get to the spot fast where I want to take pics, do my thing, and jet back.
Sport+ mode is also excellent to fight head wind. Love it!
Think of it like the pro fisherman with a 200-300 horsepower 19 foot shallow fishing boat. They just want to get to their fishing spot fast fish around and get the heck out of there quick.
Will the day come when the mavic needs repair? yes, most likely.

Keep my number handy lol joking

I used to go fishing on the lake in the early mornings when I had my 24' cuddy. Im one of the guys that would look at the 19' bass boats with 300hp engines going 80mph on the lake and think, "jeez, I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing." I would not be able to relax going that fast in a small boat. It would be all adrenaline, and then that would defeat the whole purpose of being out there in the first place. I drive my underpowered Subaru like an old man too. At my age, there's nothing in the world thats worth driving any faster for ;)

I was led to believe that Sport mode uses less battery than P-mode because the obstacle sensors are deactivated, sparing the computing to be constantly processing images and signals.

I was led to believe that Sport mode uses less battery than P-mode because the obstacle sensors are deactivated, sparing the computing to be constantly processing images and signals.

Yes, but when you think about it, it's like turning off ABS on your car. Yes, it will save a little gas, but wont protect you when it's needed. There is a reason that DJI turned OA on as soon as you power up your drone.

A ton! The Mavic litterally tail stands in the air from approx 40 mph and I know that there must be incredible forces that are being generated on the arms.

I have done it many times in the past as it is a crowd pleaser. Lots of ooooohhh's and aaaaaahhhh's like watching fireworks. It can be addicting!View attachment 63007

Were you jinking a missile? ;)

I dont like flying in sport mode because Im too old and slow to react and correct if Im in trouble. Thats the same reason why I drive a Subaru with "Eyesight" Driver Assist Technology. The package includes emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and a load of other features that keep me out of harms way. It's like obstacle avoidance for my car.

Talking about sport mode... it has been twice that the Mavic won’t let me switch to it. Some message about “can’t switch now, but you can do it in manual settings “
Huh?

I am pretty new to the drone game but I'm lucky enough to have a 100 by 250 backyard so I have been doing a lot of practice flying at my house. Practicing figure 8s and trying to make smooth controlled turns.

When I'm almost done practicing I usually kick it into sport mode for the last few minutes for some extra fun. It covers that's 250 feet pretty quickly in sport mode. Lots of fun. I'll put thunder drones on speed dial....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots