DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware the Fn button using Litchi . . . CRASH!

Captain Spock

Reactions
Mini2 and DJI Controller and Litchi: I was idling my Mini2 indoors (stupid) checking gimbal control and zoom with Litchi using the Fn button and shutter combo when my finger strayed over the Fn button without the simultaneous shutter button, and . . . "TAKEOFF!"
"OH GEEZ!" Frantic to pull the left stick back but too late: BANG, WHOMP, BING, TWAAAANNNG! (that last sound was hearing one of my strut strobe lights flying off - yet to be found). Got a (repetitive) lesson in prop replacements. :-(
Regarding the replacements, I had an original set of props that came with my Mini2, and another set that came with my DroneMask2. While the size and shape of the props are the same, the holes in the DroneMask props were smaller! Original screws got jammed with the new DM2 props; screws that came with the DM2 props worked fine. Flight tested ok.
DM2 prop - double yellow strips. (white paper covers name and address out of embarrassment...)
Moral of the story: don't be stupid and fly in a confined space . . . like an office. :-(

Attachments

• IMG_5201.JPG
    IMG_5201.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
Would this happen while using the DJI Fly app or just Litchi?

Reactions: Captain Spock
Point 1, you should NOT change single blades on a motor, always replace both irrespective of whether or not only one is damaged, they are weight balanced.
Point 2, given the striping and comments about the screws I suspect the replacement blade shown Is for a Mavic Mini and NOT an Mini 2.
I suggest you replace the blade/s with mini 2 blades IN & AS pairs BEFORE you fly the drone again.

Mini2 and DJI Controller and Litchi: I was idling my Mini2 indoors (stupid) checking gimbal control and zoom with Litchi using the Fn button and shutter combo when my finger strayed over the Fn button without the simultaneous shutter button, and . . . "TAKEOFF!"
"OH GEEZ!" Frantic to pull the left stick back but too late: BANG, WHOMP, BING, TWAAAANNNG! (that last sound was hearing one of my strut strobe lights flying off - yet to be found). Got a (repetitive) lesson in prop replacements. :-(
Regarding the replacements, I had an original set of props that came with my Mini2, and another set that came with my DroneMask2. While the size and shape of the props are the same, the holes in the DroneMask props were smaller! Original screws got jammed with the new DM2 props; screws that came with the DM2 props worked fine. Flight tested ok.
DM2 prop - double yellow strips. (white paper covers name and address out of embarrassment...)
Moral of the story: don't be stupid and fly in a confined space . . . like an office. :-(
The subject of this thread is misleading. Using the function (FN) button when flying with Litchi does not cause your drone to crash.

The FN button can be configured to one of many options. In Litchi, a single press on the FN button is equivalent to pressing the C1 button on other remotes. Double-tapping the FN button is equivalent to pressing the C2 button on other remotes. Go into Litchi's settings and see what you have C1 and C2 configured to do.

The real cause of your crash is flying indoors with a GPS drone and not knowing how your remote is configured.

Sounds like you got it set to take off in settings
I use litchi only and use the zoom with the wheel and fcn button never had a take off though
The zoom only works when camera is in video mode

Thanks, all. I admit I am still a pretty new flyer and I appreciate all the feedback.
I gotta do some Fn homework (hmmm there may be a pun there).
The only Fn use I had been using was with DJI FLY was to hold Fn and use the dial for zoom.
@DJ Wes: The relationship between Fn and C1, C2 etc was a mystery to me as I only have the DJI controller that came with my mini2. Do you have any recommendations for alternate remotes?
The subject of this thread is misleading. Using the function (FN) button when flying with Litchi does not cause your drone to crash.

The FN button can be configured to one of many options. In Litchi, a single press on the FN button is equivalent to pressing the C1 button on other remotes. Double-tapping the FN button is equivalent to pressing the C2 button on other remotes. Go into Litchi's settings and see what you have C1 and C2 configured to do.

The real cause of your crash is flying indoors with a GPS drone and not knowing how your remote is configured.

@Yorkshire_Pud: Thanks for your feedback about prop balancing. Are these the right ones for a mini 2? I ask that as the "Mavic" word is tossed around in the description, but in the Q&A section the author confirms they are mini 2 not Mavic. If these are not the right ones, can you point me to a link that is correct?

Reactions: Spartan Drones
The orange striped blades are Mini 2 blades, the grey/yellow striped blades are, given the screw comment, Mavic Mini blades. In the attached image, the drone with the orange arm is a Mavic mini the other arm belongs to a Mini 2.
Genuine DJI blades are supplied in packs of 4 blades, each pack contains 2 anti clockwise blades and 2 clockwise blades. see the second attached image
You should replace both the blades on the front left motor with blades from an "A" pack of a mini 2 four-pack.
"Mavic Mini " was the name of the first "mini" drone, "Mavic" has been dropped from the name of the subsequent "mini"s
the following link might work for you but bear in mind I am in the UK

Attachments

• 20230214_191608.jpg
    20230214_191608.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230214_192502.jpg
    20230214_192502.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
@Yorkshire_Pud Thank you for your explanation. While I flight tested my mini 2 in the current incorrect propellor configuration, it seemed ok. However, as what you and others have said, I need to get this fixed before another flight. Just to be sure: is this ok?
Thanks again.

Yes it should be fixed before you fly again and paired MINI 2 blades fitted to every motor that currently has 1 or more Mavic Mini blades fitted to it.
Any imbalance will load the motor bearings and cause vibration wihich is not good for anything.

This is a wrapup on this thread and a thank you to all that helped me out.
@DJ Wes: Appears the Litchi default for C1 (single Press Fn) is to take off). Fn is reprogrammed now.
@GFields: T/O was only observed in Litchi not DJI Fly because of Fn programming difference. Figured it out now.
@Yorkshire_Pud: Got my Mini 2 props (NOT MAVIC Mini) and will install pairs as recommended. The incorrect props I had came with another accessory. As they are of no use to me, I will separately post a give-away.

Thanks again all. Mavic Pilots is the best forum I've ever been a member of. Great advice. Learning to fly a drone is like peeling an onion: each layer brings surprises . . . and makes you cry. See y'all in the sky, CS

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
perhaps I misspoke or it was panic at the time, but it sure seemed that way to me. there is a "Pause - Resume Flight for C1 though

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent