DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big bad drones!

Merrill277

Reactions
Funny how people think that drones are so bad. Yes they make a funny noise if you are near them. Yes they take pictures of you. But so do cell phones and everyone has one of those. And phones are generally a lot closer. No you cannot chase and hurt the birds. They are much too fast for that. But the funniest thing is that it seems that if some people see you flying a drone they're suddenly experts on where you can and cannot fly them. And of course they like to report you whether you are in a legal spot or not. Never mind the gang of bikers that just blasted their ears. They do or say absolutely nothing about that, but how dare you fly a drone around me? Maybe drone flyers should show up in black leather and act rude to everyone. Maybe then they would just back off and shut up. .02

Funny how people think that drones are so bad. Yes they make a funny noise if you are near them. Yes they take pictures of you. But so do cell phones and everyone has one of those. And phones are generally a lot closer. No you cannot chase and hurt the birds. They are much too fast for that. But the funniest thing is that it seems that if some people see you flying a drone they're suddenly experts on where you can and cannot fly them. And of course they like to report you whether you are in a legal spot or not. Never mind the gang of bikers that just blasted their ears. They do or say absolutely nothing about that, but how dare you fly a drone around me? Maybe drone flyers should show up in black leather and act rude to everyone. Maybe then they would just back off and shut up. .02
Yep. Same with cars that have concert level loud speakers in them that drive up and down your street, or those little Japanese cars that have to be twice as loud as their size !
Ohhhh wait…you say those people have a LICENSE for those cars AND they can drive them on a public street ? Hmmm.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I am afraid that members of the public sometimes display a fear of the unknown and drone incursion into their daily lives is one such avenue of "confusion." Having said that I have been flying drones on and off for about 5 years now and I have yet to be "confronted" by such anger and "confused" MOPs, but then I usually take off from "quieter" areas.
One thing that doesn't help the cause is the fact that most media stories concern military drones that take out terrorists and even now Putin's forces. and the excesses of drone misuse such as the Gatwick drone incursion that closed the airport a few years back.
Most people don't realise that practically every TV program or film they watch has drone footage in them, but they are taken for granted.

Another aspect of modern life is the "surveillance" society, and in Western democracies, we have some of the most intrusive CCTV systems in the world, which does present a real concern to some. I have the attitude that I am a law abiding citizen so what do I have to fear from this, but no one REALLY likes the thought of the "big Brother" society constantly watching them.
Unfortunately, drones fall into this category, some see it as an intrusion on their privacy and due to their own misunderstanding of the motives of us hobbyist drone flyers and the negative aspects of drone use, find yet another aspect of society that "threatens" them.

I don't think it is wise to use comparisons of other activities that upset them in attempts to placate the real fear in the misunderstanding populace, Yes loud exhausts irritate people, but they are hardly the same perceived threat to their "privacy" than their misunderstanding of the motives of drone flyers.

All we can do is ENSURE that we fly within the law, and emphasise the positives of drones in the modern age and if for example they are watching the David Attenborough "Frozen planet 2" on TV at the moment, they would not be able to marvel at the series and be awestruck by it without the extensive use of drones.

All the media seems to do is assist this "fear" of the surveillance society, by portraying the negative aspects of drone use. Who remembers the media reporting the Derbyshire Police using drones to enforce the Covid restriction within the last 2 years!

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Yeah that's true, lack of knowledge of the subject is usually the reason, but hey, I ride my Harley and wear the leather jacket, but I'm not rude ha ha.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty