DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big debate, needing help/advice

sammackay23

Reactions
So with the imminent release of the Mini Pro 3 I'm in limbo at the moment. Current Air2 owner and previous owner of phantom 3A, mavic pro, and mini 1.

I've 'agreed' a deal to sell my Air 2 and now I'm wondering whats next. My 2 options are the Mini 3 Pro new or a used Air2S fly more combo. I know with all new releases there is teething problems and I expect the Mini 3 Pro to be no different so might have to wait for reviews. I've seen plenty photos and videos from the air2s and it looks fantastic. Could the Mini 3 Pro reach those heights?

Also in 2 minds whether to get the smart control or just the standard control should I got for the Mini 3 Pro. I've never felt I've needed a smart control before, I do alot of my editing on my phone which I fly with, samsung note 10+, using Lightroom mobile. How would that work if I was using the smart control?

Thanks

Reactions: Rchawks
There is a lot out there on this but...

The camera in the Mini 3 will be better than your Air 2. In some situations it will even be sharper than an Air 2S, although that camera still Is superior in lower noise and higher bit depth color. Bottom line... they are nearly identical in performance and only in the most niche situation would you notice a difference.

As for everything else? Well the Mini 3 essentially packs the features/brains of the Air 2S into its body, has better battery life, and is MUCH smaller and lighter. You have the option of using the new RC screen controller (a $240 total add on to the Mini 3 without a remote) vs. the Air 2S using the slightly superior RC Pro as an option (which is $1200! extra.) The Mini 3 is also significantly cheaper.
The Air 2S likely has better wind resistance and a slightly higher top speed, however both handle strong winds, strong enough you likely wouldn't be flying in it for long anyway.
The Air 2S is a great drone. It in my opinion still is the better option if you absolutely know you will color grade your own ungraded images (dcinelike) ... if you don't know what that means, buy the Mini 3... your results will be the same.

I own the Air 2 and fly it regularly. Will not upgrade to Mini 3 for now, main reason is its wind resistance and max speed is not as good as in the Air 2.
Unless you really need the bigger sensor, mastershots, Smart Controller, or the sub-250 g, I would get the Air 2S instead.
Also, it is not very advisable to buy a drone at its release, there might be issues, like it was the case with Mavic 3.

Air 2S is a great option! I do not own it, however I flew several times with my friend's Air 2S. Great drone, you can fly it in very, very strong winds, has very good signal and great camera.

I tend not to fly in wind anyway, even although I know the Air 2 would handle it. So the wind debate really isn't that important to me. And neither is colour grading etc. I don't take alot of video if I'm honest and most of my stuff ends up on social media. So all of that surely leads to the mini 3 pro?

So with the imminent release of the Mini Pro 3 I'm in limbo at the moment. Current Air2 owner and previous owner of phantom 3A, mavic pro, and mini 1.

I've 'agreed' a deal to sell my Air 2 and now I'm wondering whats next. My 2 options are the Mini 3 Pro new or a used Air2S fly more combo. I know with all new releases there is teething problems and I expect the Mini 3 Pro to be no different so might have to wait for reviews. I've seen plenty photos and videos from the air2s and it looks fantastic. Could the Mini 3 Pro reach those heights?

Also in 2 minds whether to get the smart control or just the standard control should I got for the Mini 3 Pro. I've never felt I've needed a smart control before, I do alot of my editing on my phone which I fly with, samsung note 10+, using Lightroom mobile. How would that work if I was using the smart control?

Thanks
I think your decision might be easier than you think. Let's go on the presumption that the images from the Mini 3 and the Air2s will be similar. In my heart I believe that while there may some features here and there, image quality will be similar enough that there won't be enough significance to choose one over the other. Price wise, these drones are similar, and with Air2S refurbs available, they will be bit less based one what *my* choice would be with the Mini 3.

Is stability important to you? Yes the Mini 3 has a cat 5 wind speed rating as does the Air2s. But a heavier more powerful Air2s will be more stable and better handling in high winds. The Mini 3 will be be better in the wind than the Mini 2 because the camera will allow a steeper forward flight angle. But the power of the Air2s will hold it's own and has more power to return in higher winds. If stability were my priority I'd be with the Air2s.

Mini 3? In my mind the only combination to buy is the set with the Smart Controller. With even the bright screen aside, the extra programmable buttons alone are worth the $150 extra. Perhaps we'll find out differently down the road, that the new smart controller will work with other DJI drones? But if not, I'm left with wonder, as the standard contoller that comes with the Mini 3 will work with the Mini 2, Air2, Air2s and M3... but the Mini 3 smart controller couldn't be used in any of those other drones? I hope I'm wrong, because I think the Mini 3 smart controller is HUGE upgrade to the standard controller. And the Mavic 3 controller for $1200 doesn't work with other DJI drones (yet) either. Maybe in the future, but it seems the DJI's application of the advanced controller(s) is a bit predatory. Having said that, again, I believe that the Smart Controller combination is the only Mini 3 package to buy. The DJI bean counters have actually priced it MORE than the Air2s FMC as you have to pay another $250 for the extra batteries and accessories.

The Mini 3 will be the go-to drone for those that absolutely need to stay under 250g's. While I could be mistaken, but one other benefit to the Mini 3 is that if you're recreational you won't have to register it, AND I believe will be immune from having to have RID when that is implemented. [Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part]

Reactions: Rchawks
The Mini 3 will be the go-to drone for those that absolutely need to stay under 250g's. While I could be mistaken, but one other benefit to the Mini 3 is that if you're recreational you won't have to register it, AND I believe will be immune from having to have RID when that is implemented. [Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part]
Speaking of the US, I think you are spot on.
In EU (EASA territory), you are also on the safe side beyond 2023 even with no c label to fly in A1 category (register, online test and near people flights possible).

Speaking of the US, I think you are spot on.
In EU (EASA territory), you are also on the safe side beyond 2023 even with no c label to fly in A1 category (register, online test and near people flights possible).
I think COVID is close to having herd immunity. I expect in the next year again we'll start traveling again, maybe renting a place in Mexico or somewhere out of the US for a month or more in the winter. I can see selling my Mini 2 and going for the Mini 3 for travel. In the US my Mavic 2 Pro is easy enough to carry around on trips and I don't have to worry about weight. If money isn't an object even if you live in the US the Mini 3 I think will be a terrific travel drone, especially with the smart controller- because when you're on location and see something quick deployment can be huge.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The thing that really pushed me over the edge to order one was the Smart Controller. I have wanted to get a second/smaller drone to compliment my Mavic 3. I also own the RC Pro controller and would never go back to the standard controller. Not only is it way more convenient, the controls are more precise and it is easier to get smooth movements. I did have an Air2S and really liked it, but let's face it, newer tech is usually going to be better. In my opinion 3 things make the mini 3 pro a better optuon: 1) smaller size 2) smart controller 3) best value for the money. I hope this helps.

I bought an air2s FMC brand new for 877 euro. I sold it weeks ago for 1000 btw. Why? Because of europe, and because I believe the mini 3 offers superior photography options, gimbal also, low noise, sharper image, higher dynamic range and so on.

the RC with the screen? Merely a bonus for me at this point! i don’t film in 5.4K and I don’t fly in winds exceeding 50km/h, nor would I use ADS-B

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580