DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Binoculars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoog

Reactions
I'm thinking of getting some binoculars to watch my Mavic from a distance. Anyone doing this and what do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G928T using MavicPilots mobile app

You know that does not count as Line of Sight Flying within the FAA's definition. You must have unaided direct line of sight with your sUAS as per the FAA.

Same goes for a spotter that assists you. Using glass is consider flying BLOS

Duh. I'm talking about seeing it close up while still in line of sight. But I understand your concern.

I'm thinking of getting some binoculars to watch my Mavic from a distance. Anyone doing this and what do you recommend?

I don't get the point of doing this therefore I don't do it so I can't really recommend.

I do have a pair of Vivitar PV series binos for other uses. They're great. They might work for your intended purpose.

I don't get the point of doing this therefore I don't do it so I can't really recommend.

I do have a pair of Vivitar PV series binos for other uses. They're great. They might work for your intended purpose.
Say someone is with you. It gives them something fun to do. And those binocs do look nice. Good price too.

And boo to all of the nay sayers here. The drone police are out tonight. If someone wants to do something, you don't need to understand or question their reasons. I'm just sayin'... I appreciate the spirit of your comments, as many noobs are out to do stupid things. But the OP just wanted some recommendations.

Not trying to police . Far from it. Apologies if it was misinterpreted. I was genuinely concerned that if you are flying using Binoculars and someone who is knowledgeable spots you they could claim you were exceeding LOS.

Lots of "concerned" citizens out there would like nothing more than to harass and look for opportunities to do so.

If you want to risk that and say F IT ! More power to you!

Reactions: Phoog
BINOCULARS?!?!! YOU MUST BE A SPY!!! OFFICER, THAT MAN IS WATCHING ME GET CHANGED! PEEPING TOM!!! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!

EXCUSE ME! I'd like to chime in here.
I was out the other day flying around a lake that was in an unrestricted area according to DJI map and my DroneMaps app ( Japan ).

As normal, I do my research before I fly. I check the area on maps first. On site, I survey the area. I double check with SIRI about airports in the area ( Clear ).

Everything is a green light. Aircraft inspection done. I’m in a safe take-off area away from people. I get up in the air.

Low and behold, a hot-air balloon has taken to the air.
Where the hell did he come from?
Next, helicopters in the air.
Where the hell did they come from?

My GF is with me and she knows I care about being a responsible pilot. She gets on the iPad that we always bring with us. She finds the Heliport beyond 10km but no ILS pathways ( SIDS / STARS ) on the map.

I continue to fly but under 100m.

With that said, the OP in this thread surely has more than one reason to request good information about binoculars. I think some members were a bit harsh towards him.

I just started looking into binoculars today because I want to survey the airspace before flying. I also want my spotter to be able to search around when we hear an audible aircraft sound.

It doesn’t mean the drone pilot wants to fly BLOS. He knows where his drone is. Instead, we want to find the other people in the air.

It would be nice if there were glasses that could magnify the view of the iPhone screen as well. We want to see more information. The screen is too small.

The danger is looking into the Sun though.

So what do you guys recommend?

Attachments

• E6F40534-5CD1-4839-A4B2-0F2A26F0AEE3.jpeg
    E6F40534-5CD1-4839-A4B2-0F2A26F0AEE3.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 19
For watching aircraft, or astronomical objects, I really like these:

LOVE is not a strong enough word to describe how happy I am with my Canon stabilized 12x36 binos. I bought them for astronomy but use them for all sorts of other things. If you get them, when you're not amazed at looking at your Mavic, point them at the Moon and count craters, point them at Jupiter and count moons, and see how many nebulas and galaxies that you can see with them. And when you're not doing those things, take them to a concert or a sporting event.

You'll be hooked!

Peter T

real nice but I can buy a new drone for the price of those LOL

The 12 x 32's that I have are still available on amazon for $600-$700. It's still not "cheap", but they are REALLY wonderful.

My wife and I went to a concert recently and I forgot to bring the Canon's. We stopped at Dicks Sporting Goods on the way and grabbed a pair of Nikon Acculons for about $100. They were 10x (and I have forgotten the lens size). They were a decent enough pair of binoculars, but, we couldn't justify keeping them (and we wanted to). We were so used to the Canon's that we were disappointed every time we picked them up.

You will find yourself using the Canon's for MANY other things besides drone watching. EVERYONE who has used them has been impressed. As soon as they figure out how to use the stabilizer button you hear them softly say .......wow.

Those Acculons were a lot of binocular for $100, but, we've been spoiled.

You might want to look on Craigslist for the common 7 x 35's. You can pick some up cheap and 7x is close to the limit of comfortable handheld magnification (without resting against something, using a tripod, or having built in stabilization.)

Peter T

I was typing when you were posting.

I was impressed with the Acculons, and if I had never used my Canon's I would probably still own them and be happy with them. (If you can lean against something when you use them the image settles down considerably.)

Peter T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada