DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Attack

DonB

Reactions
With a minute of takeoff today I had a huge hawk eyeing my Mavic, anyone ever have a bird attack their drone?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes, I used to fly rc helis and a number of people (including myself) had hawks go after our smaller sized helis.

It happens all the time. It may be why some drones just fall out of the sky when flying beyond visual range. Small birds are very territorial and aggressive. I don't know how many times I've been chased. Just remember Sport mode. Maintain speed when flying over trees to avoid being targeted. The Mavic seems able to take a hit without shutting off motors.

I had a flock of birds playing with my drone during a flight...they kept flying around in a big circle right through the drone. It was pretty scary, I just flew out of the area until they calmed down.

I have had hawks watch the drone around my house and start flying around it. I normally just bring it back home quickly and land it.

... and as the spring comes around and territorial birds start invoking their instincts watch out.... they can take you out! (and you can injure them)

Reactions: Romario1972
Here in New Zealand it's generally seagulls, I've had 20+ at times, dive bombing and squawking at the drone, but that's all they do. When i use the inspire I just ignore them, even aim for them if they're getting on my nerves but with the smaller drones mavic & p4 (my mavic was stolen at the weekend) I generally try to avoid confrontation, mainly because the blades aren't as powerful as the inspire. However, magpies will kill themselves trying to attack the drone, so for that fact, unless it's a seagull, get it to safety!

With a minute of takeoff today I had a huge hawk eyeing my Mavic, anyone ever have a bird attack their drone?

Happens to me all the time. Put it into sport mode and fly full speed changing directions often. The birds freak out at how powerful your bird is and become subservient to the superior beast.

Yes, it is happening at almost every flight with me. Seagulls dive to it.... What I do, I get altitude quick... then they leave the Mavic alone :)

Here in New Zealand it's generally seagulls, I've had 20+ at times, dive bombing and squawking at the drone, but that's all they do. When i use the inspire I just ignore them, even aim for them if they're getting on my nerves but with the smaller drones mavic & p4 (my mavic was stolen at the weekend) I generally try to avoid confrontation, mainly because the blades aren't as powerful as the inspire. However, magpies will kill themselves trying to attack the drone, so for that fact, unless it's a seagull, get it to safety!

Flapping seagulls.. steal chips and mavics.

Reactions: Davidr
Wonder if a wrap that made the mavic look like a bird of prey would help. Perhaps loud colors as well?

Orange works well, apparently. But as others have said, while it might seem counterintuitive, your best option is left stick to the max. They'll soon realise who's boss.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
I wonder if there is a generally accepted "It's cool I'm just flying through" call? Of course this might only work with smaller birds. Bigger birds may consider it meal call.

Seagull took a P4 out in Bodega Bay, CA. Fortunately, it crash onto a fishing boat in the harbor. Needed new camera, gimbal and 1/2 shell.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929