DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird attacks! Do you get a lot of bird encounters too?

volition

Reactions
Just read a good article about a commercial drone operator stating that he sees a Wedge Tail Eagle 1 in 4 jobs. And they regularly break his drones. Check it out here

I got a Mavic Air 2 about 3 weeks ago I have been flying daily pretty much all VLOS been expanding my range a little getting to over 300m (i’ve got an Arc XL strobe to assist with spotting too). My skills are getting better, I haven't really done barely any footage or photos just flying and a lot in sports mode. I just want to get my controls to a level of subconscious thinking before push too hard.

I live in regional Victoria On my very first flight a galah came and had a look. And on the second a pair came and I assume gave a warning pass under. Geez that made me cautious, 2 days ago a magpie swooped it whilst in the air, the I landed and he kept swooping lol. That’s just the notable occurrences in the short time. I always seem to garner some birds interest. I understand it’s nesting season. So that is increasing the likelihood of bird encounters and it was comforting to read the article where the operator stated that all the birds just do warning passes and he isn’t worried about them, Except for the Wedge Tail Eagle! They seem to be a real nuisance for drone pilots that is. I know we are in there territory so I am happy to land and leave them alone if they are around. But I haven’t had an encounter with one yet. Touchwood. The straight up manoeuvre is the ticket. Then find a way to land, the article gives some advice.

So there we have it, i am more confident with all the other birds but now super worried about the eagles, lol.

I would love to hear any bird encounter stories in Australia guys, especially any wedge tailed eagle ones. any thoughts on animal safe deterrents, ideas? The article also advises flying In the morning before the thermals have become strong,

Tell me your bird encounter stories, got any cool videos. I’ve seen a cockatoo one around, any others?

Reactions: mereflyer
Birds that have had a look at mine,
A seagull (for quite some time) the drone was virtually right overhead so it was difficult to judge their height difference but it was checking the drone out.
A Hooded Crow over the garden but I sent the drone up and it lost interest after a few fly pasts.
I had a Phantom 3 fairly close to a hunting Buzzard and it wasn't in the slightest bit interested, after a bit it made one pass and I called it quits.
A house Martin or similar over a field, it circled the drone several times. Other seagulls but as I was going to or coming from somewhere I was soon out of their zone of interest

Reactions: volition
Birds that have had a look at mine,
A seagull (for quite some time) the drone was virtually right overhead so it was difficult to judge their height difference but it was checking the drone out.
A Hooded Crow over the garden but I sent the drone up and it lost interest after a few fly pasts.
I had a Phantom 3 fairly close to a hunting Buzzard and it wasn't in the slightest bit interested, after a bit it made one pass and I called it quits.
A house Martin or similar over a field, it circled the drone several times. Other seagulls but as I was going to or coming from somewhere I was soon out of their zone of interest

lots of encounters! Thanks mate. I have seen others mention how interested the seagulls are a number of times.

I've had a Black Kite follow the drone back to me from a paddock about 1 km away. I was just having a fun flight and when it returned the bird sat on a telegraph pole and checked things out.

I was going to launch again but realise the birds gaze was fixed on my drone. Eventually a couple of smaller birds harassed the Kite to the point where it took flight and went back to wherever I annoyed it.

I have been told however that if you are being assaulted, fly directly UP and then work your way back to terra firma.

I've been attacked by a Powerful Owl taking stills, so I'm not a fan of upsetting these (beautiful) creatures.

I've had a Black Kite follow the drone back to me from a paddock about 1 km away. I was just having a fun flight and when it returned the bird sat on a telegraph pole and checked things out.

I was going to launch again but realise the birds gaze was fixed on my drone. Eventually a couple of smaller birds harassed the Kite to the point where it took flight and went back to wherever I annoyed it.

I have been told however that if you are being assaulted, fly directly UP and then work your way back to terra firma.

I've been attacked by a Powerful Owl taking stills, so I'm not a fan of upsetting these (beautiful) creatures.

Yes that’s it! the article talks about ascending to avoid the attack but also about getting the timing right. If you ascend too early the wedgies Adjust and fly upwards with it. So you got to hold your mettle and wait lol. A skill I’d rather not have to learn.

powerful owls are awesome! Categorised a Threatened species down here in Victoria.

anyone else had some interesting bird encounters? Lost a drone to birds?

Reactions: Fishman Dan
Most Raptor attacks are prey related, they think the drone is food.
Other types of birds it is usually territorial.
Predators single out the slow and weak individuals, most attacks would be with the drone in slow mode, the big Mavics ( I fly a Mini) are fast and nimble enough to avoid most Raptors and birds in general.

Most Raptor attacks are prey related, they think the drone is food.
Other types of birds it is usually territorial.
Predators single out the slow and weak individuals, most attacks would be with the drone in slow mode, the big Mavics ( I fly a Mini) are fast and nimble enough to avoid most Raptors and birds in general.

My issue with a bird attack is harming the animal. I would be devastated if my hobby injured wildlife.

To be completely honest I've never used my Mavic Pro Platinum in Sport Mode. I'm reliably told this is key to avoiding in-flight conflict.

My issue with a bird attack is harming the animal. I would be devastated if my hobby injured wildlife.

To be completely honest I've never used my Mavic Pro Platinum in Sport Mode. I'm reliably told this is key to avoiding in-flight conflict.
I agree, harming wildlife is a no-no. The harm would happen when the bird is able to catch the drone. Using VLOS and sports mode could prevent that from happening. I fly a Mini, in south-east Australia, up in the bush, lots of birds, I rarely have a flight that does not involve a challenge from some sort of angry or hungry bird.
Sports mode saves the day, a display of speed and agility, up/down and side to side will deture most birds.
Falcons and Goshawks are not scared of anything much, and are deadly to the Mini.

Thanks guys,

It’s interesting, lots of reports of bird encounters. but none yet of a drone/bird collision. Dont get me wrong they obviously happen. But I’m speculating that they are super super rare. Encounters not, collisions yes. Which is encouraging from a wildlife protection and drone protection aspect.

I speculate that most birds rather then get into a tussle with an unknown are interested in scaring us away.

I stand to be corrected on the collisions being rare

We get quite a bit of bird action here in Colorado. But I've only been attacked once (last week of all weeks). And it was more of a threat than an attack. He pulled away at the last minute.

We have lots of raptors very interested but never attached before. We also have problems with seagulls, swallows, and pigeons. Pigeons have to be the dumbest bird on God's green planet. They always just circle the drone and get in the way of the video. It's almost like they're puppies wanting the drone to come and play with them.

We've also had issues during mating season for hawks. We've had to either change shots for monthly progression photos, and removed shots from lists where there are active nests.

The best thing to do if confronted by angry birds is to get as high as possible, as fast as possible. Birds have a hard time attacking things above them. And even if they are successful in attacking a drone from below, they're not hurt by the props. So hit left stick up to get out of trouble. Then fly away from the area.

Here in The States we have the 400' limit, but we are allowed to break that ceiling in emergency situations. I don't know if Australia has that as well, but it would be worth checking out. We've never had an issue with having to go that high though. The birds usually just want us to go away, and a couple hundred feet work fine.

here in SE Alaska rainforest, i have been attacked several times by raptors. Bald eagles don't like the drone but dont attack, and actually fly to avoid my mini and pro, but hawks and falcons are always after my azz. vertical climb works well, but keeping the drone in sight around areas like rivers and such is the best advise. being prepared to make un-natural movements like straight ups and downs make all the difference in avoidance as birds dont encounter these sorts of movements in prey normally and dont compensate well. the seaguls around here are only interested in salmon and dont hang around after the salmon are gone and are seasonal. i have a couple videos where a bird came after me and was a near miss brown streak in my video....

Just read a good article about a commercial drone operator stating that he sees a Wedge Tail Eagle 1 in 4 jobs. And they regularly break his drones. Check it out here

I got a Mavic Air 2 about 3 weeks ago I have been flying daily pretty much all VLOS been expanding my range a little getting to over 300m (i’ve got an Arc XL strobe to assist with spotting too). My skills are getting better, I haven't really done barely any footage or photos just flying and a lot in sports mode. I just want to get my controls to a level of subconscious thinking before push too hard.

I live in regional Victoria On my very first flight a galah came and had a look. And on the second a pair came and I assume gave a warning pass under. Geez that made me cautious, 2 days ago a magpie swooped it whilst in the air, the I landed and he kept swooping lol. That’s just the notable occurrences in the short time. I always seem to garner some birds interest. I understand it’s nesting season. So that is increasing the likelihood of bird encounters and it was comforting to read the article where the operator stated that all the birds just do warning passes and he isn’t worried about them, Except for the Wedge Tail Eagle! They seem to be a real nuisance for drone pilots that is. I know we are in there territory so I am happy to land and leave them alone if they are around. But I haven’t had an encounter with one yet. Touchwood. The straight up manoeuvre is the ticket. Then find a way to land, the article gives some advice.

So there we have it, i am more confident with all the other birds but now super worried about the eagles, lol.

I would love to hear any bird encounter stories in Australia guys, especially any wedge tailed eagle ones. any thoughts on animal safe deterrents, ideas? The article also advises flying In the morning before the thermals have become strong,

Tell me your bird encounter stories, got any cool videos. I’ve seen a cockatoo one around, any others?
I am in Canada and regularly get attacks from large Bald eagles ?
Not a Bird you want to mess wirh

I am in Canada and regularly get attacks from large Bald eagles ?
Not a Bird you want to mess wirh

Seagull are bad and I just land when they show up but even so I have seen lots of close up shot's in my video. I wouldn't mess with any of the predators. I have no idea how you would protect yourself if they decided to attack. We have red tailed hawks in California and I see them on approach to airports hanging out at around 500 feet just to the side of final approach and they are oblivious to the airplanes passing by.. they just watch the field below for prey.
I've been to exhibitions with predatory birds and I know that in spite of all they are quite fragile in structure. Extremely light construction like the Mini. hollow bones and all that..They latch onto their prey with claws that ratchet closed and have to be triggered? free. I really love the Ravens that we have locally and I would, for sure, never want to injure the very thing that gave man the desire to fly.

Oh yes, ‘flammin’ Galahs, flocks of them!

I was photographing painted Silo’s in WA and SA and flocks of Galahs appeared out of nowhere on nearly every shoot. They would approach my M2P as a group, fly around for a while and then fly off. Not sure if they were curious or trying to fend off before they realised what they may be messing with.

Can’t help think of Alf every time it happens!

I’ve posted this before, but this was my encounter with a couple of black backed gulls in Napier NZ earlier this year.
They were very aggressive and I had to abandon my flying as I didn’t want to injure them or risk losing my M2P.
Good luck with your flying, looking forward to seeing your videos. Take care. Peter

I have, on occasion, ran into problems with birds. When I sense a problem, I land until they move on. Usually just a few minutes

Just a random thought...having a strobe mounted on the drone and having it on during the daylight hours, I wonder if that would be any kind of deterrent for our feathered friends since it's something not normally seen in nature?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair