DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird encounters ... close calls

Was out flying yesterday and was getting chased by an Osprey. Had to put my Air in sport mode to escape

Birds are of course a concern for us all. Let’s see your vids and pics of your bird encounters. I’ll start.
In my clip there are 4 passes by an eagle, each one progressively closer... had to abandon my project and get out of the air.
Scary. It's a good thing you weren't looking down when it passed by, could've been disastrous.

Reactions: Thomas B
Scary. It's a good thing you weren't looking down when it passed by, could've been disastrous.
Of course I am not a bird expert but if it's the same eagle or osprey could be that there was a nest nearby with little chickies. Best to abandon ASAP in my opinion and drive down the road to the next place.

I think I was hit by smaler bird at 35 ft height... I think it was a bird, the gymbal took a swing to one side. I am getting concerned.

Ha! I was outside yesterday flying my new Mini when I noticed a bunch of black birds/ crows start to land in some trees and a chimney. I was just getting familiar with my controls, keeping below 10 meters.

I decided to just land and not risk a tragic “bird carry-away.” o_O

it seems when flying low... but my ting is that you can't flight high with the mani all the time.

Was hovering at 60’ above a partially frozen lake I was imaging here in NW PA this afternoon. An eagle swooped down from about 200’ and was either curious, or aborted it’s attack from about 50’ from the Mavic 2. Happened so quick that I’m not sure what options I would have had.

Ha! I was outside yesterday flying my new Mini when I noticed a bunch of black birds/ crows start to land in some trees and a chimney. I was just getting familiar with my controls, keeping below 10 meters.

I decided to just land and not risk a tragic “bird carry-away.” o_O
Yep, my mavic mini was carried off by a big blue jay. I never did get it back.:mad:

Using the drone to take some pics of a campsite when a flock of cockatoos (yep, I'm an Aussie) decided to come in for a look. I actually lost sight of the drone, panic set in so dropped elevation to about 5m. Then panic set in again, I was flying over a river. Hovered till there was a break in the flock, hit RTH and got the AC back.

The footage looks pretty cool. Let me know if you are interested and I'll pop it up on YouTube.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Curious buzzards. They'll circle the drone a couple times and depart. So far my only birding experince.

Attachments

• buzzard 1.jpg
    buzzard 1.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 20
  • buzzard 2.jpg
    buzzard 2.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 20
Excellent, just remember you can go straight up or straight down. Birds can't do that. I enjoy flying with them . Getting photos is another thing . Work in progress.

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60