DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Bird strike over the sea ?‍♂️

We always fly directly into the birds or away from the birds but not cross wind flying thru them ,

Notice how well the Birds avoid my drone when facing them head on as we have had much success with that , maybe they can only see going forward or so it appears.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on the Waves.

We always fly directly into the birds or away from the birds but not cross wind flying thru them ,

Notice how well the Birds avoid my drone when facing them head on as we have had much success with that , maybe they can only see going forward or so it appears.

Phantomrain.org

Birds are incredibly clever creatures ?. I'll probably be in hospital this week, but when I get out I'm putting a scary owl decal on the drones

Close call there!

Reactions: Drone Views Media
Two tips I might have.

I have a Mini 2

1. Change the top colour of your drone (where they tend to attack). I changed it to black (I use Phantom Rain's wetsuit - and no, not advertising for him) and have flown many times since in the middle of pigeons, seagulls and even cormorants without one touching me.

2. In the case of any initial attack, fly straight up as fast as you can climb for a few seconds. Birds have a harder time flying up than any other direction.

Hope that might help.

Adam

Two tips I might have.

I have a Mini 2

1. Change the top colour of your drone (where they tend to attack). I changed it to black (I use Phantom Rain's wetsuit - and no, not advertising for him) and have flown many times since in the middle of pigeons, seagulls and even cormorants without one touching me.

2. In the case of any initial attack, fly straight up as fast as you can climb for a few seconds. Birds have a harder time flying up than any other direction.

Hope that might help.

Adam
Yeah, I generally fly upwards rapidly, but as a result of the strike I had a temporary motor block, so my challenge was to keep it in the air. I'm definitely doing something regarding a decal on the top and bottom

I have experienced Gulls here in San Diego attacking my Phantom more than my Mavic or Spark.
I had one follow and attack my Phantom all the way back to the beach and at about 5 feet above the beach, he made contact and knocked it out of control.
Fortunately, it crash landed on the soft beach sand with prop guards on, so there was no damage, but they have caused me to modify where and what I fly to avoid conflicts.

I have experienced Gulls here in San Diego attacking my Phantom more than my Mavic or Spark.
I had one follow and attack my Phantom all the way back to the beach and at about 5 feet above the beach, he made contact and knocked it out of control.
Fortunately, it crash landed on the soft beach sand with prop guards on, so there was no damage, but they have caused me to modify where and what I fly to avoid conflicts.
I'm definitely going to review my flying habits, I really don't want this happening a 3rd time. First job will be a scary decal, and then I'll find some safer places to fly ?

I'm definitely going to review my flying habits, I really don't want this happening a 3rd time. First job will be a scary decal, and then I'll find some safer places to fly ?
Others have found little to no help from decals.
As memory serves the reflective ones were apparently most effective.

Nice and thanks for sharing.

Glad you did get back in hand.

Ok, seeing as I'm still recovering from the vaccine beside effects, here's a bird strike over the Irish sea. I got seriously lucky on this one!
*Sorry for the overexposure, I wasn't expecting to be hit ?

Did that bird have insurance? HAHAHAHAHA

Phantomrain.org

All birds have a rule which is to always turn right if they fly into anything, to avoid collision with another bird.

I had no more contacts with birds once i wrapped my mavic pro 1 with a taxi wrap

I’ve done some filming of Kites (red ones - not paper ones) in the Chilterns. They’re lairy at first - bearing in mind that they’re umpteen times bigger than my MA2 - but get used to it and I’ve had some superb footage. The Buzzards though …..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS