DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird strike

jwringo

Reactions
My mini hit, or was hit by, a pigeon yesterday. Took a bad fall from about 100 feet... condition critical. Anyone had a bird attack a MM? Mine came in second.

My mini hit, or was hit by, a pigeon yesterday. Took a bad fall from about 100 feet... condition critical. Anyone had a bird attack a MM? Mine came in second.
Welcome to the forum but sorry to see your first post was about drone loss. Did you have Care Refresh, the DJI insurance?

Went out recently to a park that just re-openned after five months and after one minute of flight I had three birds buzzing my mini. Withdrew to fight another day.

Read my previous post about my bees and my mini....

Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear about your accident. Did the bird continue flying or did it appear to have been injured as well?

Many of us have had "Close Encounters" with birds but few have had actual impacts with birds.

Hopefully yours is repairable and you're flying again VERY soon.

Reactions: Thomas B
I've had several encounters and have had the stalk my mini many times. I'm very cautious about birds when I fly, they consistently scope out my drone. Seagulls, hawks and geese are particularly aggressive...

My Mavic Mini was also almost hit by two small birds the other day.but fortunately I avoided it by lowering my drone

Lost my 1st Mini for a combination of RTH and (unconfirmed) bird strike. Flying near birds can be very risky.

Swallows, seagulls and pigeons seem the most dangerous (aggressive).

If i have any birds coming on to my birds i just land them as quick as i can. Wait for them to find something else to lock on to and then take off again. They usually don't hang around long. They are looking for food most of the time....

There are a lot of close encounter with birds posts if you do a search side wide. Hear is a video of one I had with a Hawk a couple of months ago. The hawk comes in at about 55 seconds, from the upper right of the screen. The rest of the video is fleeing back to the ground. Apparently my drone caught the attention of the hawk because he circled back around. He did not attack my drone but paid very close attention to it most of the way to landing.
Hawk encounter.

Reactions: dino9832
Birds are such a nuisance. I've had two drones taken down by birds. One was very recently just a couple weeks ago. thankfully, neither happened over water and I was able to recover the craft and have them replaced by DJI care. Unfortunately, I'm now out of replacement, so if it happens again, I'm out of luck.

I had a seagull hit me just a couple of days ago also. Cracked one of the props but no other damage. unfortunately for that one, I was a couple of hours from home and just starting a job. I didn't have my normal bag with me with replacement prop so I was unable to finish. And all the Best buy's around me were out of stock on props.

In all cases the strikes happened right around 50 to 60 feet. I'm definitely much more cognizant of them now, and sometimes just choose not to fly if there's too many birds around.

Looks like a "House Martin" to me... I get a lot of them where I am, as well as Swallows and swifts. They are very prevalent and often take an interest in the drone. I have them around mine all the time M2P but haven't had a strike yet. I will have to point my camera at them and see exactly how clost they are getting...

Hmm I think the birds ? are angry at drones probably thinking they are a danger to them or a threat to their airspace .one thing for sure is they hate drones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas