DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird went down. :-(

RyanB286

Reactions
So, went out flying this oh so calm morning, the clouds were pretty up against the mountains, a shot I've gotten a thousand times already in a place I've flown just as often, but what the hell, what's one more, right?

...Uh huh.

Fast forward a mere 11 minutes and change, a high wind warning pops up (completely calm all the way up to 1500M which is as far up as UAV forecast will display and, as we all know, WAY over what the limit is), my mavic pro almost instantly turns sideways, starts to spiral slowly at first, then quicker, and finally turns her nose down to the ground and hurtles towards the earth completely out of control in a scene that can only be likened to a fiery Hindenburg meeting her doom. A scene I had a first row seat in as I watched it unfold live on my galaxy S8.

Oh the horror.....and I'm pretty sure I screamed like a little girl.

I exaggerate (a little) but this SUCKS.

Don't know what happened, I can only assume it was a prop, but that's not for me to decide, but I now face the oft talked about grueling task of claiming Care Refresh, and waiting months to end up getting someone's refurb P.O.S that PROBABLY did the same thing and made him or her pee a little and cry a lot.....or getting told it was my fault and there goes my $2000 and counting investment. Poof.

Question is, has anyone had experience dealing with DJI and Care Refresh either way? Nervous as hell here and worried, mostly because A few rules MAY have been broken, and not sure what they take into consideration when deciding whether or not to honor it, and honestly ive heard a LOT of horror stories.

Seriously? This sucks. Can't wait to get in the air again.

So, went out flying this oh so calm morning, the clouds were pretty up against the mountains, a shot I've gotten a thousand times already in a place I've flown just as often, but what the ****, what's one more, right?

...Uh huh.

Fast forward a mere 11 minutes and change, a high wind warning pops up (completely calm all the way up to 1500M which is as far up as UAV forecast will display and, as we all know, WAY over what the limit is), my mavic pro almost instantly turns sideways, starts to spiral slowly at first, then quicker, and finally turns her nose down to the ground and hurtles towards the earth completely out of control in a scene that can only be likened to a fiery Hindenburg meeting her doom. A scene I had a first row seat in as I watched it unfold live on my galaxy S8.

Don't know what happened, I can only assume it was a prop, but that's not for me to decide, but I now face the oft talked about grueling task of claiming Care Refresh, and waiting months to end up getting someone's refurb P.O.S that PROBABLY did the same thing and made him or her pee a little and cry a lot.....or getting told it was my fault and there goes my $2000 and counting investment. Poof.

Question is, has anyone had experience dealing with DJI and Care Refresh either way? Nervous as **** here and worried, mostly because A few rules MAY have been broken, and not sure what they take into consideration when deciding whether or not to honor it, and honestly ive heard a LOT of horror stories.

So sorry to hear of your loss, I am sure DJI care will sort it out and you will be back up in the air again.

So, went out flying this oh so calm morning, the clouds were pretty up against the mountains, a shot I've gotten a thousand times already in a place I've flown just as often, but what the ****, what's one more, right?

...Uh huh.

Question is, has anyone had experience dealing with DJI and Care Refresh either way? Nervous as **** here and worried, mostly because A few rules MAY have been broken, and not sure what they take into consideration when deciding whether or not to honor it, and honestly ive heard a LOT of horror stories.

Could you post the DAT files from your Mavic? Sorry to hear about your loss, that does suck. I think Care Refresh has a better reputation than their regular warranty repairs so I wish you luck and a quick fix! -CF

i dont know,in all fairness you broke the rules and possibly endangered airspace,do you think you deserve another drone knowing this was careless and deliberate,not including other aircraft's flying,what about birds or drone failure?thats like a little missile at 1100 feet
i may get flamed but this is the reality of being careless.

Reactions: ScubaBob
i dont know,in all fairness you broke the rules and possibly endangered airspace,do you think you deserve another drone knowing this was careless and deliberate,not including other aircraft's flying,what about birds or drone failure?thats like a little missile at 1100 feet
How I read it (and I could be wrong) was he was flying up into mountains therefore even if you are 1500+feet above take off point, you can still be only several hundred AGL.

How I read it (and I could be wrong) was he was flying up into mountains therefore even if you are 1500+feet above take off point, you can still be only several hundred AGL.
i been told its 400 ft above take off point
and i KNOW 400 feet is only recommended

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan

Yeah... He messed up and lost his drone.. I would say 75 percent of the people that post these kinds of things are usually super high up, remember the last one, he was 1000 feet up too... I have been doing a lot of mountain flying lately and 1000 feet up on the mountain, the wind can be super calm or just insane to the point I don't feel safe up there and it changes so fast. The only way DJI will replace that with refresh is if he has it but when they see that he was 1000 feet up...I don't think they will.

so if i take from a skyscraper,i go 10' in the air but the skyscraper was 10.000 ft. high,then im only flying 10' from top?
id find that hard for the FAA to swallow;)

Reactions: Randy
Yeah... He messed up and lost his drone.. I would say 75 percent of the people that post these kinds of things are usually super high up, remember the last one, he was 1000 feet up too... I have been doing a lot of mountain flying lately and 1000 feet up on the mountain, the wind can be super calm or just insane to the point I don't feel safe up there and it changes so fast. The only way DJI will replace that with refresh is if he has it but when they see that he was 1000 feet up...I don't think they will.
he stated he was 4500 ft up

Show me the rules in the refresh plan, give them what you got, they'll send you a refurbished that's the plan.

so if i take from a skyscraper,i go 10' in the air but the skyscraper was 10.000 ft. high,then im only flying 10' from top?
id find that hard for the FAA to swallow;)
This is a quote from the FAA website.

"You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots)."

Actually the above is for part 107 people only, hobbyists have no limit although there is a 400' advisatory. I missed that his post was in meters, if that wasn't a typo than I completely agree with you that it was an unsafe and dangerous flight.

sure sounds like a prop came off if you can post your dat file the guys can tell if it was by the rpms,etc

This is a quote from the FAA website.

"You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots)."
so if this were so he could take off from a mountain side and be within 400ft. top,then he would have stay to within 400 ft,since further would mean he would be higher than 400 ft
you gotta admit these are stupid guidlines

sure sounds like a prop came off if you can post your dat file the guys can tell if it was by the rpms,etc
coulda even be moisture got in his drone since its basically a computer and a single drop of water can fry it.

this video may help explain the LEGALLY way to fly over 400 feet

edit: US law

Last edited:
i’m not sure if the op was actually flying at 1500m, he only mentioned the uav forecast was showing calm all the way up to 1500m but i could be wrong. i’m pretty sure it’s not a warranty case but i think you have a good chance with dji care. just contact dji.

Reactions: laurens23
i’m not sure if the op was actually flying at 1500m, he only mentioned the uav forecast was showing calm all the way up to 1500m but i could be wrong. i’m pretty sure it’s not a warranty case but i think you have a good chance with dji care. just contact dji.
pretty clear to me

Fast forward a mere 11 minutes and change, a high wind warning pops up (completely calm all the way up to 1500M which is as far up as UAV forecast will display and, as we all know, WAY over what the limit is),

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada