DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds again

WARRIK

Reactions
Has anyone noticed if birds tend to be more aggressive towards drones in the day/evening hours? I was flying a construction site early evening and had to quit as the birds were very aggressive...I usually fly here very early (no people around) and have no problems but weather forced the change...Just curious.

Might check the forum for other posts. I seem to recall postings that even included a sign warning of certain aggressive species potentially attacking drones.

Speaking of... tonight's news featured an intriguing Red Wing Blackbird in Toronto. He's Dive Bombing anyone who comes within Range of his 'Turf'.

They figure it's a Male protecting either a nest with Little Ones, or even Eggs.

It actually dives toward anyone who 'Ventures' (sorry~) too close, or even gives them a peck on the back of the head. Kinda scary for the unaware.

Folks in the area have named it "Dave the Dive Bomber", or something similar.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Way too many years ago I ran into a red-wing black bird that was like that. I was trying to get some blackberries from a fence line, and either he was protecting a nest near there or he considered those his berries. I "solved" it by whistling like some swallows that were feeding nearby -- they started dive-bombing him and he left me alone after that.

Still made a lot of angry noises, though.

Not sure this would be useful for protecting a drone, though.

Has anyone noticed if birds tend to be more aggressive towards drones in the day/evening hours? I was flying a construction site early evening and had to quit as the birds were very aggressive...I usually fly here very early (no people around) and have no problems but weather forced the change...Just curious.

You need a drone cat cover:322F0057-EBE9-4261-AE3A-C69E2AB33089.jpeg

Reactions: rickcore
I have to say, that I've made only a few hours with my new Mavic 2 and almost instantly noticed that the swallows are not happy with it being around.
If they happen to be near, they will always gather and fly around it in close proximity. This makes me really nervous about my drone, the birds and the things that my be damaged if they accidentally take it down by colliding with it.

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
I have to say, that I've made only a few hours with my new Mavic 2 and almost instantly noticed that the swallows are not happy with it being around.
If they happen to be near, they will always gather and fly around it in close proximity. This makes me really nervous about my drone, the birds and the things that my be damaged if they accidentally take it down by colliding with it.

I always cringe for the birds’ sake too. If they are nesting swallows, you may want to stay away from them anyway.

Reactions: informer
I always cringe for the birds’ sake too. If they are nesting swallows, you may want to stay away from them anyway.
You are right here. I also thought that this might be related to the nesting season.
The problem is thatI cannot always guess if they are around. Last time it happened just above a pine forest high in the mountain (~1500m alt).

P.S. Just to avoid misunderstanding here - it is of course obvious to expect birds above a forest, but I didn't expected swallows on that spot.

Reactions: AMann
Thanks to all who replied...I was at the site again this am and no bird issues...The site (minor league baseball stadium) will be opening Monday so I will no longer be shooting there...I did like the cat cover idea but doubt my wife will let me use ours to try it...next time maybe.

I listed this elsewhere, but thought it might be appropriate here, taken mid afternoon, incidentally no harm done to birds or Mavic Pro

Pigeon attackpigeon attack 005.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11