DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds - Anyone else deal with curious birds?

naiku

Reactions
Does anyone else have birds that seem to be very curious about what the buzzing thing is in the sky? At least 3 times that I can remember now I have flown my Air around near my house and a Turkey Vulture starts to swoop by a little too close for comfort. The first time I noticed it I was bringing the drone into land, another time I was just flying around and then today again as soon as I put the drone up, here it comes, swooping past me. I attached 3 pictures, obviously they are not great pictures, the vulture was not that close, but certainly close enough that I went a different direction.

In the minute or so of video that I pulled those images from, he / she can be seen crossing the picture at least 5 times.

Wondering if anyone else has a similar thing happen to them? I am tempted to try and film it flying around some, but with the number of trees around + size of the bird I am not sure I want to risk my drone!!

Attachments

• bird1.PNG
    bird1.PNG
    547.7 KB · Views: 105
  • bird2.PNG
    bird2.PNG
    262.8 KB · Views: 104
  • bird3.PNG
    bird3.PNG
    154.9 KB · Views: 101
Once the swallows come to nest in my barn, flying becomes a lot more risky! They will go chasing after drones like they would a hawk, trying to drive it away. For the most part though, birds don't seem to pay too much attention to drones in my experience.

I have had several birds fly up behind my AIR. They get close enough that my sensors pick them up.

I have yet to have a run in, but I am sure its bound to happen sooner or later with a curious fellow

Reactions: Dooley
Had a close encounter with a flock of pigeons. Birds will get curious and come in for a closer look sometimes. My advice, use your prop guards to avoid a crash in the eventuality of a collision (highly unlikely) but still better to be safe than sorry.

Oh last niggt was the night of the birds... Flock of seagulls decided to crowd my air at 300ft... Then while descending a buzzard swooped very close to the rear end.. So surprised not to see a puff of feathers..
I think birds in general are curios but will usually stay far enough away

In Brazil I had all sorts of birds dive bombing my Air. Even minuscule colibris would go for it!

My experience: Vultures are curious but nothing more. Pelicans completely ignore the mp. Sea gulls usually are unconcerned but can challenge for territory and might even attact. Hawks can hunt it down. To be clear, I try to stay far away from birds and definitely respect their no fly zones. If they come near, fly straight up and then away to land. But the sky is big and most birds are tolerant when you leave them plenty of space.

I was flying around my hometown in Illinois a year or so ago and chimney swifts were really going after the Mavic. I had to keep it moving all the time.

Does anyone else have birds that seem to be very curious about what the buzzing thing is in the sky? At least 3 times that I can remember now I have flown my Air around near my house and a Turkey Vulture starts to swoop by a little too close for comfort. The first time I noticed it I was bringing the drone into land, another time I was just flying around and then today again as soon as I put the drone up, here it comes, swooping past me. I attached 3 pictures, obviously they are not great pictures, the vulture was not that close, but certainly close enough that I went a different direction.

In the minute or so of video that I pulled those images from, he / she can be seen crossing the picture at least 5 times.

Wondering if anyone else has a similar thing happen to them? I am tempted to try and film it flying around some, but with the number of trees around + size of the bird I am not sure I want to risk my drone!!
Have a mate here in Australia who lost his drone to an Eagle. Flew in and grabbed his drone and flew off with it.

In Brazil I had all sorts of birds dive bombing my Air. Even minuscule colibris would go for it!

Would love to see a drone’s eye view video of a harpy attack, but the guys in Oz have wedge tailed eagles to contend with, they’re flying velociraptors when it comes to drones or manned parasails!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute