DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Birds

Oyibo VFX

Reactions
Hey guys, just encountered again the live version of Angry Birds. They didn't hit my drone but came too close for comfort.
They crashed my previous Mavic and both Thursday as yesterday.... nearly.
So, just wondering.... when any of you comes in contact with birds, what do you do. With my Inspire I go to sports mode because that is way too fast for them. But the Mavic can't go that fast. Usually I raise and lower quick but that is maybe just an idea.
Any advice?

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
I always ascend with max vert. velocity. Most birds give up seeing the mavic jump to a high altitude that fast. Birds are very aware of the energy they have to spend for ascending fast to a higher altitude.

Swallows are a different matter. They just come for you no matter what. Fortunately they're too small to become a real hazard, if we stay lucky.

My Mavic got chased by a hawk and I tried full up and down. It didn't seem to care. I ended up landing and the hawk flew within ten feet of me to get a better look. I stood there in shock as it passed between me and the Mavic at a high rate of speed.

I'm guessing it's a territory issue because it screamed after it passed me. I packed up and went home.

Hawk 1
Mavic 0

That actually makes a lot of sense...
Thanks. Need to check this out next time
Max throttle and straight up for 100 feet or so. That is something no natural flying bird can do. Even a hawk or a falcon can only ascend straight up while circling (just like a WW2 fighter) and that takes them way more energy then they like without using thermic. If you fly away from them while ascending they can follow you with ease.

Reactions: s2seyecle
Many times over past 2 decades, I have been watching and studying the hawks, falcons and eagles from my best friend who is a retired professional falconer, and how they used and preserved their energy in flight and chasing pigeons and crows. If it wasn't worth the energy they quickly gave up and looked for another prey.

Also a lot of the issue comes down to mating and nesting season. Birds get overly protective when nesting and also looking for a mate

Sport mode vertical climb seems to get mine away from small birds having a go at it.

Reactions: s2seyecle
I would say the strobes would ward off any bird,once they spotted it?

Just experienced the bird chasing. Nothing in the sky but soon as I got above the house level....about 10-15 small birds..not sure if they liked the sound but the Mavic was 2X their size...They were darting all around it. Not fun landing like that but they avoided the Mavic.... Lauched again and they came back...

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Is there an altitude that birds generally keep at?

Good question. They seem to come in around 100 feet. Not a big deal except for the landing part. It makes you really nervous as they are likely about 10 feet from the Mavic and flying right by. I would upload the last video but they just streak by.

I read somewhere that yellow and yellow/black are nature’s warning colours. How true this is I don’t know but figured that this wrap would be worth a try. Hopefully it will stop crows and raptors paying way too much attention to the Mavic. If I was a bird I wouldn’t go near it.View attachment 26754 View attachment 26755 View attachment 26756

Attachments

• 78395A73-1CB2-425E-92E0-6B084970EC4F.jpeg
    78395A73-1CB2-425E-92E0-6B084970EC4F.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 68
  • E2A4128A-9D16-4EC3-9082-C7CAB090E28F.jpeg
    E2A4128A-9D16-4EC3-9082-C7CAB090E28F.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 72
  • D929C7EE-34AB-4F96-9EEE-E24B012D519D.jpeg
    D929C7EE-34AB-4F96-9EEE-E24B012D519D.jpeg
    705.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Reactions: Ashley

I could only dream of having Humming birds where I live, even pigeons are considered exotic!

The colour is advertised as Limoncino Yellow and in the flesh looks more brass than gold, not my favourite colour but if it does the trick........we shall see.

Thank you for complimenting the finish. I took my time as I did not want edges curling up anywhere.

Happy Holidays to you and yours also.
Here’s to 2018 being a great year for Mavic flying

Last edited:
A whole flock of Snowgeese suddenly turned and came right at my Mavic a few days ago. these birds weigh about 5 pounds, one flew right into my drone, hitting it with a wing, and turned it around 180 degrees. The Mavic immediately recovered and produced beautiful footage of the birds flying away! I plan to post a slow-motion video of the encounter tomorrow.

Wow. Is your Mavic stock in colour if not I wonder if a bright skin would have helped? It seems that it may not have been intentional on the part of the bird. The size and colour of the Mavic against a landscape background may make it almost invisible to a flock of birds flying at speed. I have heard similar stories when pigeons flock and drones being taken out because of collisions. Anyway I’m glad the Mavic is OK and it sounds like the Snowgoose should be which is just as important. Really look forward to seeing the footage.

Wow. Is your Mavic stock in colour if not I wonder if a bright skin would have helped? It seems that it may not have been intentional on the part of the bird. The size and colour of the Mavic against a landscape background may make it almost invisible to a flock of birds flying at speed. I have heard similar stories when pigeons flock and drones being taken out because of collisions. Anyway I’m glad the Mavic is OK and it sounds like the Snowgoose should be which is just as important. Really look forward to seeing the footage.
My Mavic is gray, however if you watch the footage I posted, you’ll see that the geese were on a straight path, some I think dodged, but not the one that hit me. Kind of like when you’re in traffic following a semi I suppose, can’t see what’s right ahead.

Amazing footage. I don’t think a skin would have helped you there with the density of that flock. A case of wrong place wrong time and a reminder that birds belong in the sky and we are just visitors to their domain. Glad no damage done.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada