DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Black screen but can take pictures and video

marnat3

Reactions
Last week I installed all needed updates and had video feed. Now I can do everything but see the feed from camera. I have taken pics of the desktop several times and hear the shutter click each time. I have read on the forum here that the updates should have nothing to do with this issue, but I am at a loss. I have also used DJI assistant to re calibrate the sensors and noticed that I had live feed on Assistant. Any help is welcome. I should add that I have not had a crash since I have yet to fly the bird due to cold and windy weather.

Last edited:
Try a different cable
Use the usb port at the bottom of the remote controller

Also it's impossible to get a live feed from DJI Assistant 2, the software only allows you to upgrade and refresh the firmware on the AC and RC

I am using an Android tablet so I am using the usb port on the the bottom. I have since found out what I thought was a live feed from the camera was the image from the proximity sensors. The thing that gets me is the camera is taking pics and video but not showing on screen.

I am also seeing "Opti Mode". Which I had never seen before. No error messages at all.

This is Opti-mode

For the black screen, what are your camera settings e.g iso, apeture and shutter speed ?
Do the photo's come out normally or black like the screen ?
Have you tried un-installing and re-installing DJI Go4 ?

I did just uninstall the Go4 app and reinstall it ,no. change.
However the Mavic is not in opti mode anymore. Whew!:D
The photos are normal. That is what I don't understand.
I think I will rollback the firmware to the previous version as that is when it worked.

I just had the same screen issue with my Mavic Air 2 and the DJI Fly App. Drone could fly, take pictures and video, but I had no video feed to my phone screen. Disconnected all cables several times, removed the drone battery and replaced it, turned phone and controller off and started each back up. The classic example of a useless experiment - change multiple factors at once... The black screen was gone and everything has functioned fine for the last couple of days and probably 10 flights.

Howard

I did just uninstall the Go4 app and reinstall it ,no. change.
However the Mavic is not in opti mode anymore. Whew!:D
The photos are normal. That is what I don't understand.
I think I will rollback the firmware to the previous version as that is when it worked.

I still suspect it's the cable

How many firmware updates had you missed ?

I have not missed any updates and the former owner had not either. I can see the history on DJI assist. I am using the same cable I have used to do the forward and bottom sensor calibration. So its making the data connection.
Well I did the rollback and no change in view from camera.
so I went back to the most recent firmware update (01 04 0500) not sure of the #, and now it wont connect to GO4 at all.
I can operate the controls from RC and Mavic responds accordingly but no telemetry at all on screen.
Again No error messages at all other than I live in a NFZ.
Seems that this problem is getting worse. I am getting pretty frustrated.

I have not missed any updates and the former owner had not either. I can see the history on DJI assist. I am using the same cable I have used to do the forward and bottom sensor calibration. So its making the data connection.
Well I did the rollback and no change in view from camera.
so I went back to the most recent firmware update (01 04 0500) not sure of the #, and now it wont connect to GO4 at all.
I can operate the controls from RC and Mavic responds accordingly but no telemetry at all on screen.
Again No error messages at all other than I live in a NFZ.
Seems that this problem is getting worse. I am getting pretty frustrated.

Have you ever had the camera view working since you got it from the previous owner ?
If your confident it's not the cable, try a different tablet or phone.

Does the Go4 app automatically register that the MPP is connected, on the first screen it should show a MPP (before going into camera view) ?
Are you seeing this screen in DJI Go4, note the connected icon green in the bottom left ?
1603764032617.png

No telemetry in DJI Go4 means that the app is not connected to the RC, on the RC screen are you seeing all the telemetry settings, as below ?

1603763911129.png

Yes, camera view was working as of Thursday last week. I did try a different tablet and still no go.
The app did auto go to the Mavic pro screen before ,but does not now. Also the controller connects to the Pro and goes through all the modes GPS, ATTI, NFZ and Opti.
Now it seems the Go app is not connecting at all.

As was stated, the initial app screen will show if the app connected to the RC in the lower left corner. You don't need the RC to be connected to the AC for this to show.

If you can't get the RC to connect to the app, and you've tried different cable and mobile device, then the USB side of the RC may be bad. Besides a standard USB cable to the lower A port, also try the included short cables to the side port.

The only short cable I have does not fit my devices. I believe it is an Apple cable.
It was connecting to the app before I did the rollback. That did not change anything , so I went back to the current version.
Now it wont connect to the app all. But I do have full control from the R/C.

I am so happy and sad someone else is experiencing this so I can discuss too...
This is happening on my dad's Mavic Pro - My Mavic Pro works great with no issues. He has had no crashes, no damage, nothing that should have caused this. It worked great for about 10 total flights and it was new. He just never really used it and then ran the updates and that's when it stopped working for the most part.

Here is the list of things I have done for troubleshooting:
1. Reset all camera settings
2. Changed from his Samsung to my Iphone, to my Ipad, which all work fine using my drone, just not his.
3. Changed from side cable to USB cable, tried 3 cables
4. Reset all Drone settings
5. Reset firmware to previous versions
6. Reset remote
7. Uninstalled, reinstalled software on devices
8. Removed the memory (also heard that formatting your memory card will fix, haven't tried it yet)

When I called a repair shop they told me they wouldn't waste time looking at it and to just replace the camera for just under $400 (no thanks) I'd rather buy a new drone for that.

I am here to report that my Mavic Pro is now connected and has live view.
I am not really sure what did the trick, but here is what I tried...
Rollback firmware = no change
Reinstall the Go4 app 2 time = No change
Try every cable I could lay my hands on = No change
Redo all the above = complete loss of connection to the Go4 app.
Tried it all again yesterday with a new Galaxy Tab A8 = no change
Tried again with the Galaxy Tablet from my Phantom 3 Standard = Yay everything works.
All I can say to everyone who is experiencing this problem Is keep trying Something will work.

Lastly, THANK YOU to everyone who has tried to help in this thread and others here on the forum.
It is really refreshing to be able to seek answers and not be made to feel dumb for asking.

Reactions: Otisangb
I am here to report that my Mavic Pro is now connected and has live view.
I am not really sure what did the trick, but here is what I tried...
Rollback firmware = no change
Reinstall the Go4 app 2 time = No change
Try every cable I could lay my hands on = No change
Redo all the above = complete loss of connection to the Go4 app.
Tried it all again yesterday with a new Galaxy Tab A8 = no change
Tried again with the Galaxy Tablet from my Phantom 3 Standard = Yay everything works.
All I can say to everyone who is experiencing this problem Is keep trying Something will work.

Lastly, THANK YOU to everyone who has tried to help in this thread and others here on the forum.
It is really refreshing to be able to seek answers and not be made to feel dumb for asking.
I envy you right now! lol I will go back to the drawing board on my dad's and just keep pluggin away.

I went through all of the above a bunch of times over the past 5 days.
I am still not sure what I did right or wrong but I was not going to throw in the towel.
As my Dad used to say "Onward through the fog"

I have a similar problem going on. I'm using a Galaxy Tab A, haven't changed any cables or settings, most current software/firmware updates, and all of a sudden no live camera view. If I connect my Galaxy S8+ I get same problem. DJI's site says the Tab A should be supported yet no live feed. Very odd. It's been a while since I last flew, and both devices worked flawlessly in the past.

Last edited:
I just remembered something that I hope wasn't already mentioned in the past posts:

If you have any of the included short cables plugged into the the side port, that disables data on the bottom full A port. The bottom port will still deliver power though which might fool you into thinking you have a full USB connection. This drove me nuts for some time with my M2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake