DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bluetooth GPS Reciever, WIFI iPad Air 2 and setting Home Point to Remote

CBR954RR

Reactions
Before anyone tells me to do a search about this subject, I have read many posts on this and used these posts to try the 2 GPS receivers listed below as they were stated as working with Apple products and can't get the following to work and am hoping someone here can enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro with firmware version 01.00.0510 installed in drone, all batteries and remote. I am trying to get the Set Home Point to Remote to work but every time I try I get the message 'Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak. It's location cannot be acquired'.

I have tried the following setups;
iPad Air 2 (WIFI only) with a Dual Electronics XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver as well as a Garmin Glo 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver while connected to the remote
iPad Air 3 (WIFI and Cell) with no sim installed while connected to remote
iPad Air 3 (WIFI and Cell) with no sim installed and a Dual Electronics XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver as well as a Garmin Glo 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver while connected to remote
iPad Air 3 (WIFI and Cell) with sim installed and connected to the remote
iPhone 7 Plus connected to the remote

I have tried with v4.3.29 of DJI Go 4 on both iPads and tried v4.3.32 and v4.3.42 on the iPhone 7 Plus all with the same results.

What exactly am I doing wrong that I cannot get the Home Point set to the remote instead of the drone?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Dan

I know it can be frustrating getting these devices to work nicely with each other...even though the iOS products rank on the better end of the spectrum of working with DJI products. It looks like you've done some due diligence working with iPad Air 2 & 3 and an iPhone 7. I don't have experience with the Dual or Garmin units though I've been happy using a 'Bad Elf' GPS while in airplane mode. (In all honesty though, it wasn't so much to give position data to the iPad for flight...but it's worked in the Apple maps program for me.). That being said, I've decided not to use a separate GPS and I just use an iOS device like an old iPad Pro or an iPhone on its own. I'll use just enough cellular data to populate the map then switch data off, then perform the flight. Even at that, I ensure that I get "The home-point has been updated, please check it..." message when I take off next to me. That's pretty close to the controller's position. Would that work for you? Perhaps not if you're taking off from some distance from where you're desiring to stand during the flight. The other work around I can think of is updating the home point after takeoff to where you are and maybe periodically thereafter. Quite a pain I'd suppose if on a boat.

Just a quick edit to my post: I see you're using the DJI Go 4 app and I'm using the DJI fly app. I don't get an option of resetting my home-point to the remote position, and since I've never had it, I don't miss it. I'm guessing that the way that function works is to take a home-point snapshot from the remote and hold it for if/when needed. If it were to check the remote immediately upon RTH, that would create an unsolvable problem for the drone in the event of a loss of link. That suggests to me that frequent or periodic manual updates to the home-point might be inevitably necessary.

Last edited:
TS_Thomas02,

Thanks for chiming in. I am trying to get the feature to work for the instances where I launch in one spot but walk to another, or as in your example, I launch from a boat and move to another spot. In this instance I would like to have the home point set as the remote that way no matter where I move to, the drone should always return to the remote.

At least that is how I assume setting the home point to the remote will work.

I watched a video from a forum post I had read where the pilot set the remote down and walked around with the Bluetooth GPS receiver and the drone followed him even though the remote sat on the ground.

So, in those rare instances where i move from the take off point, I would like to be able to set the home point to the remote so that no matter where I go, the drone will come to me in case of RTH.

Dan

What exactly am I doing wrong that I cannot get the Home Point set to the remote instead of the drone?
You haven't been able to reset the homepoint to the controller with Apple devices for a few years.
If you really need to, you have to use an Android device.
Either that or work out another way to achieve what you are trying to achieve.

In this instance I would like to have the home point set as the remote that way no matter where I move to, the drone should always return to the remote.
If you could reset the homepoint to the controller, this is the message you would see:
i-kjXR62t-M.jpg

Note that it says the current location of the controller.
It won't follow the controller if it's moving, the new homepoint is where the controller was when you reset it, not where the controller goes after that.
There is no dynamic home point.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you could reset the homepoint to the controller, this is the message you would see:
i-kjXR62t-M.jpg

Note that it says the current location of the controller.
It won't follow the controller if it's moving, the new homepoint is where the controller was when you reset it, not where the controller goes after that.
There is no dynamic home point.
Thanks Meta4 for chiming in. Makes sense about not being a dynamic homepoint. I just wish it would work as it should so that I could at least change it to the remote on the times I move from launch location.

I guess I'll need to look into a cheap Android based tablet just for the drone.

Thanks again.

Dan

Just a quick update...

I solved my problem by trying the software Litchi. What I have been having issue trying to get to work with DJI Go 4 worked just fine first try with Litchi.

Thanks to all that chimed in to offer advice.

Dan

Reactions: Joethedrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929