DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Body repairs

• Thread starter Deleted member 113944
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 113944

20200117_064109_edited.jpegI noticed what appears to be a crack in the shell of the drone.
Can anyone tell me if this looks bad enough to send it to repair or is there an adhesive I can use which is compatible with the material of the drone's body?

I was thinking maybe a hobby shop might have an adhesive to prevent further splitting.

Those two pieces (one on each side on top of the rear legs) are called "butterfly's" , they form part of the motor arm and sit under the middle shell, they are designed to stop the legs from moving up during flight maneuvers and causing a prop strike on the body.

If you can get the right industrial strength adhesive (maybe epoxy but it would depend on the type of plastic), you might be able to shore it up for a while, but it does look like its cracked through.

This issue was discovered a while back as the reason for a prop strike.
From what I remember, the Op replaced the butterfly's by himself, some others have done a carbon fiber mod gluing a piece on top.

Just out of interest do you do a lot of sport mode flying, as this was suspected as the cause ?

Last edited:
Those two pieces (one on each side on top of the rear legs) are called "butterfly's" , they form part of the middle shell and are designed to stop the legs from moving up during flight maneuvers and causing a prop strike on the body.

If you can get the right industrial strength adhesive (maybe epoxy but it would depend on the type of plastic), you might be able to shore it up for a while, but it does look like its cracked through.

This issue was discovered a while back as the reason for a prop strike.
From what I remember, the Op replaced the butterfly's by himself, some others have done a carbon fiber mod gluing a piece on top.

Just out of interest do you do a lot of sport mode flying, as this was suspected as the cause ?
No sport. Never have flown in sport mode yet.
Thank you for your help.
I'm a bit sad because I know the adhesive will help for a while. The rest of the craft is still in excellent condition.
Perhaps I'll use it for short low flights. ?
The positive is now I'm "forced" to get another drone ??.

View attachment 91051I noticed what appears to be a crack in the shell of the drone.
Can anyone tell me if this looks bad enough to send it to repair or is there an adhesive I can use which is compatible with the material of the drone's body?

I was thinking maybe a hobby shop might have an adhesive to prevent further splitting.
An update

Drone Nerds in Miami Florida told me on the phone they can repair by fix or replacement of the section of shell.
It's not going to be cheap but not awfully expensive either.

??

You might want to contact @djidroneservice and get a quote from them. They offer FREE shipping (to and from) and a FREE quotation on repairs so you've got nothing to lose by asking. And they are Vendor here so their support helps to keep the forum FREE for the rest of us.

Hard to tell from the pic if you need a new arm or middle frame. Parts readily available though

new arm

middle frame

Labor is about 1 hr

Send it in for a free inspection (you only pay if we fix) we cover shipping both ways and we will provide an exact quote

You might want to contact @djidroneservice and get a quote from them. They offer FREE shipping (to and from) and a FREE quotation on repairs so you've got nothing to lose by asking. And they are Vendor here so their support helps to keep the forum FREE for the rest of us.
I am doing that, DJI service in new Jersey. Yes free shipping. Thank you ?

Reactions: DDS and BigAl07
An update

Drone Nerds in Miami Florida told me on the phone they can repair by fix or replacement of the section of shell.
It's not going to be cheap but not awfully expensive either.

??
Another update. I'm going with DJI service in New Jersey. Thank you everyone for timely feedback.
This is such a great forum of folks!

Just adding that I have tested the tensile strength of that part glued by cyanoacrylate glue and it is safe to temoprarily fix it with that. Infact I also tested two ~1.5 x 20 x 30mm cutout pieces of a middle frame also, glued in a butt joint, and it could take about 3kg lateral so plenty strong enough. In case anyone else stumbles across this in search of emergency repair info :)

(I'm waiting for a replacement motor arm but have been flying in sport mode with that whole upper "lip" broken off and replaced with a cutout piece from a crashed upper frame glued with the same cyanoacrylate. Slamming the throttle, flying in hard wind, no signs of stress after ~5 hours of flight)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No sport. Never have flown in sport mode yet.
Thank you for your help.
I'm a bit sad because I know the adhesive will help for a while. The rest of the craft is still in excellent condition.
Perhaps I'll use it for short low flights. ?
The positive is now I'm "forced" to get another drone ??.
no sport ever? no crash landings? no flight in extreme conditions? It just looks to me like that took some serious force, that is, if it was NOT a manufacturer defect. It might be worthwhile to solve the mystery of the cause before making any costly decisions, if at all possible, because of it is a deeper issue then it could be wasted cash.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov