DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boosted Antenna system with Dish

Possums

Reactions
As I understand it, with the boosted antenna systems like the Atlas, one whip antenna (the left one) transmits to the drone and the other receives signal from the drone. Does the drone lose connection to the controller because it loses signal from the controller or does the controller lose the return signal from the drone first?? When flying from my front porch, would it help any at all to have a dish behind the Atlas whip antennas like the picture below - especially the receiving one. They have a Titan Antenna Car Mount similar, but without the dish, of course.AtennDish.jpg

Attachments

• AtennDish.jpg
    AtennDish.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 34
As I understand it, with the boosted antenna systems like the Atlas, one whip antenna (the left one) transmits to the drone and the other receives signal from the drone. Does the drone lose connection to the controller because it loses signal from the controller or does the controller lose the return signal from the drone first?? When flying from my front porch, would it help any at all to have a dish behind the Atlas whip antennas like the picture below - especially the receiving one. They have a Titan Antenna Car Mount similar, but without the dish, of course.View attachment 84705
You’d be better off replacing the whips with a directional antenna to begin with but A+ for creativity!

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
You’d be better off replacing the whips with a directional antenna to begin with but A+ for creativity!
I had a Titan Cyclone directional antenna at first. This one (the Atlas) seems to work better. Probably because I am having to fly through and around lot of large trees where I live. I'm sure if I were on top of a mountain or in the middle of Kansas, I could fly for miles. I just thought, since I have a "car mount" being shipped and these 24" satellite dishes are practically free at the county dump, I might try something like this, if I could figure out exactly how the boosters work.

Bwahahahahahaha

It could work, but how much gain will it provide? Do the math here to decide if it’s worth it:
What! ............So I was thinking?
The Satellite Dish
The curved dish reflects energy from the controller's transmitting antenna, generating a narrow beam to the drone??.
A satellite dish is just a special kind of antenna designed to focus on a specific broadcast source. The standard dish consists of a semi-parabolic (bowl-shaped) surface and a central feed horn (antenna in this case). To transmit a signal, the controller sends it through the antenna, and the dish focuses the signal into a relatively narrow beam.
satellite-tv-7.jpg

1573006688925.png

The dish, on the receiving signals from the drone, works in the exact opposite way of the transmitter? When a beam hits the curved dish, the parabola shape reflects the radio signal inward onto a particular point (just like a concave mirror focuses light) onto the receiving antenna of the controller.

satellite-tv-6.jpg
1573006729112.png

Brilliant!!!

Still waiting on my 1573005806466.png

Last edited:
Using that parabolic antenna is going to make it extremely directional and you’re going to have to be able to track your drone with it very well to use it at its highest gain efficiency.

Eager to hear a forum member evaluation of the double M2 battery! I've been tempted! Please keep us posted!
If it's on the internet ....you know it's got to be true!

Last edited:
Reactions: spicciani2
If it's on the internet ....you know it's got to be true!
Did you order the M2 version which is $265? It is roughly the same price as a two M2 batteries. If it also has the Smart Battery chip from a stock battery, it could be a gem! However, I suspect not, but the extra juice in one battery would be worth losing the Smart chip, and managing the battery manually.

(Edited to reflect the $265 price of the double M2 version.)

Last edited:
Did you order the M2 version which is $159, as I recall? At worst, it is roughly the same price as a single M2 battery. Any extra juice would be a bonus. If it also has the Smart Battery chip from a stock battery, it could be a gem! However, I suspect not, but the extra juice would be worth losing the Smart chip, and managing the battery manually.
However, I suspect not, "YOU ARE RIGHT" I guess you get a free prize.

However, I suspect not, "YOU ARE RIGHT" I guess you get a free prize.
The price of $265 reflects two M2 batteries in one. It might be the real deal, rather than a cheap knock off! Last I looked, a look alike was closer to $159 from some one other seller, which was suspiciously low. A legit M2 battery extender with XT60 connectors runs about $65 plus external batteries and mounting brackets.

The price of $265 reflects two M2 batteries in one. It might be the real deal, rather than a cheap knock off! Last I looked, a look alike was closer to $159 from some one other seller, which was suspiciously low. A legit M2 battery extender with XT60 connectors runs about $65 plus external batteries and mounting brackets.
You're kidding - right?
DJI Mavic 2 Battery Adapter (Pro / Zoom)
No reviews

• USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
*** Please note, the adapter covers the top upward obstacle sensor.
Important: Adapter must be mounted on pin 3,4 and 7,8 from the left.(Connecting to the wrong pin WILL cause damage and your Mavic)

You're kidding - right?
DJI Mavic 2 Battery Adapter (Pro / Zoom)
No reviews

• USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
*** Please note, the adapter covers the top upward obstacle sensor.
Important: Adapter must be mounted on pin 3,4 and 7,8 from the left.(Connecting to the wrong pin WILL cause damage and your Mavic)
Not kidding. That's how the M2 battery mod is currently being done by others, which is why the double battery is so much more attractive to me!

Wow.... whom ever uses that two pin adapter that “slips” over the contacts.... good luck!
I've already ordered my "double battery" from china!
View attachment 84936
Also, please please please when you get said battery, take some photos please. Many of us have wondered, and well you got the balls to do what some of us are scared to! Awesome!!! Following this post!

Wow.... whom ever uses that two pin adapter that “slips” over the contacts.... good luck!

Also, please please please when you get said battery, take some photos please. Many of us have wondered, and well you got the balls to do what some of us are scared to! Awesome!!! Following this post!
Does seem a bit sketchy, but it seems to work, as long as you slip it over the correct contacts! :oops:

we played with something similar bit a little smaller a few years ago on some fixed wing craft when the video links where still very sketchy. we mounted our antenna/dish on this
and it was able to track the craft keeping a very nice link. There are probably better setups available today that would automatically track the drone allowing for a very dierction link being maintained. I just havent bothered as the range we get now is mostley more than adequate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost