DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boosting the signal: how do the antennas on the cotroller really work?

jumpingbean

Reactions
Hello fellow Mavic pilots!

I've been up in the air for more than a decade, but so far I've been flying mostly my DIY constructions. I'm really impressed with Mavic Mini though, as the ratio of portability to video capacity is insane and I'd like to give it a shot.

As I live in Europe, I'll be probably blessed with the CE version. No big deal though, as I've lost enough drones while performing long-range tests. Nevertheless, I'd like to improve the stability of the signal over short distances for particular occasions, and it seems that signal boosters would do that just fine.

I was wondering, if somebody could explain how the two antennas on the controller work. Is one 2.4 GHz and the other 5.8 GHz? I've stumbled upon a few topics here regarding them, but due to the number of different controllers and FCC / CE version differences, I couldn't find a solid answer.

I'd like to craft a signal booster by myself, but I'm still puzzled whether should I use two 5.8 GHz amplifiers, one 2.4 and 5.8, or two 2.4. Any advice will be much appreciated!

Fly high and avoid obstacles ;)

Since I’m not the radio frequency expert, I’ll just watch this one and learn.
I did just get my hands on another controller for the idea of doing a bit of antenna mod. I did a test flight yesterday and was surprised how the mm reacted to the distance. I had a full bar signal(three lines?) and got a message on the screen that said the signal was failing. The next message was a return to home which I cancelled. I just looked at the radar screen, turned the mm towards home point and brought it back that direction and regained signal. More testing in the works, and hopefully gain some insight.

Any luck on this information?
I asked one forum, and they said it was one 2.4 and one 5.8 antenna on the RC.
Not confirmed tho.

I think member @brett8883 might be able to lend some advice on this topic.

Reactions: bymoerch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3