DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

boracay philippines

shb

Reactions
I'm in boracay Philippines now. I went through 11 batteries on the first two days. on my last flight the second day, two guys came up to me and said flying drones in
boracay is not allowed. the next day I saw two cops on the street and told them what these's guys said. the cops said you can fly but you need a permit. they said the permit was free. the gave me vague directions on where to get the permit, but I couldn't find the place. I've been very sick so I can't fly now anyway, but I'll either try
to get the permit when I feel better, or make sure I take off where there are no cops around. I have around 60 minutes of video already so I don't really need much more. but certain parts of the island I haven't been to yet. just thought I'd pass this on so people can be aware. if I learn more I'll update this thread

I found the place that issues the permits. it turns out that you don't need a permit. it's like everywhere else in the Philippines. you can fly wherever you
want except around crowds of people. so for boracay, that means white beach is off limits. steve

I found the place that issues the permits. it turns out that you don't need a permit. it's like everywhere else in the Philippines. you can fly wherever you
want except around crowds of people. so for boracay, that means white beach is off limits. steve

Update to this, its a LGU Malay Ordnance (No 362 series of 2017) and you do require a permit to operate. They are actively fining people for non compliance (in excess of 3000php a time).

The actual ordnance wording is "An ordnance regulating the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles or Drones for Recreational Purposes or otherwise in the municipality of Malay, Aklan". Its been in law since 2017.

The good news is, its really easy to get a permit. Just go to the mayors office with the specs of the drone, serial number and ID, fill in a form, pay a fee and you're good to go. The whole process took less than 15 minutes.

In addition the permit according to the office exempts you from the normal rules about proximity to airports etc (Caticlan airport puts almost the entire island within the philippine law 10km no fly zone otherwise...). The permit allows you to operate in daylight hours anywhere you wish over the island including White Beach (this is mentioned specifically on the paperwork).

Within 5 mins of launching on my first flight the TREU turned up, asked did i have a permit, showed it and they were happy and went away. Within 2 mins of a sunset flight someone else asked the same so they're actively looking for and enforcing violators.
But like i said, a permit is easy to obtain.

Reactions: B-Radd
Glad they finally got that straightened out with the permit. I had the same experience last time I went a few year ago. Walked outside the hotel lobby straight out to the beach and flew the drone. Within minutes cops showed and told me I’m not allowed to fly a drone in boracay. I asked if a permit was needed and they said only for commercial use.

I just got back from a trip to the Philippines and you can pretty much fly anywhere as long as you follow the Philippines drone laws. And yes the permit are easy to get, in some cases a hotel or a business your visiting will get the permit for you.

Confusion may have been the 2 tier system.
Commercial needs an LGU permit *AND* permission off the CAAP.
Recreational only requires the LGU permit.

2 flights again today, i just made the effort to find the nearest police and tell them im about to fly. That way it avoids them turning up mid flight asking questions.
Being allowed to operate on white beach is a bonus and wasn't expecting that due to crowds etc.

I really have no objection to permits for certain areas if they're easy to get and offer relatively few restrictions as is the case here. Theres no reason NOT to get one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore