DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bottom Line Camera Settings

SAC89

Reactions
Hi Mavic Pilots,

Newbie here, I am looking for the bottom line absolute best camera settings for videos and still photos on for the Mavic. I have seen way too many youtube videos saying they have the best settings, but I don't think they are MAVIC Pros.

I am taking still photos and videos for a local RE broker, still playing with the settings, haven't dialed them in quite the way I like yet. I am FAA PArt 107 certified with insurance, so I am legit, just trying to figure out the best settings for my customers.

I am using a PC, and also looking for a cost effective or free photo and video editing program. Adobe is a monthly charge for their products which is not cost effective over the long haul.

I look forward to any recommendations for my needs as far as the Mavic settings and camera settings are concerned as well as recommendations on cost effective (preferably free) editing software.

Thanks,
Scott

Reactions: sgarrand
I haven't heard of that one, I will check out DaVinci Resolve....Thanks!

I have also watched 'hundreds' of YT on this subject. With latest firmware (.1000) I have settled on post edit with Photos (Mac) for stills and Resolve 14 for video with these settings:

• Camera: Raw and then other exposure settings 'like normal'
  • Video: 4K (3840x2160/30p), D-log, 0, -3, -3, ND filters as appropriate to maintain low shutter speed. Combine with LUTs for fast editing.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Thanks for the reply Eyvindj, I really appreciate your input. I must ask a very ignorant question, and I can probably google it, but what are LUTs?

Thanks for the reply Eyvindj, I really appreciate your input. I must ask a very ignorant question, and I can probably google it, but what are LUTs?

I am not the person you asked the question of but with the above linked program (Davinci Resolve) I have started to mess with LUTs (Look Up Tables) which are, as I understand it, like presets that perform some simple color correcting for you. It is a starting point or a jumping off point. I have tried a free one here: Free LUTs for Mavic Pro D-Log and Art and it even tells you the recommended settings (This works great on D-Log shot in (-1,-3,-3). I'm no expert and I'm still experimenting.

I think the issue with why there may never be a "bottom line" is because it's all completely subjective. What is my bottom line may not be yours and vice versa.

Reactions: Eyvindj
I am not the person you asked the question of but with the above linked program (Davinci Resolve) I have started to mess with LUTs (Look Up Tables) which are, as I understand it, like presets that perform some simple color correcting for you. It is a starting point or a jumping off point. I have tried a free one here: Free LUTs for Mavic Pro D-Log and Art and it even tells you the recommended settings (This works great on D-Log shot in (-1,-3,-3). I'm no expert and I'm still experimenting.

I think the issue with why there may never be a "bottom line" is because it's all completely subjective. What is my bottom line may not be yours and vice versa.
I concur with this response.

In addition I can say that Resolve takes a little time to learn, but it's worth it - and it's free! Plenty of YT tutorials on this. Resolve also have a standard DJI LUT installed, although I find it a bit vivid in its color correction. Hence the other ones, which you can download. Let me know if you need the links.

I sense that the jury is 'still out' on whether to use 0, -3, -3 or +1, -3, -3, depending on the amount of 'noise reduction' performed up front by the Mavic (resulting in loss of picture quality, according to some), but now I think it's so far down the detail, that I'm not sure if it's worth going into... Check the Casey Farris channel on YT.

Another 'flat' profile I used to use is the D-cinelike, I just don't find that many LUTs for this - that works for me. Most LUTs are for D-log, which is also easier to work with up front, I think

Reactions: MrsTreat
My experience with LUT's is furthermore, that it goes a bit faster, if you create a node before the node, where you apply the LUT. On the node before you can do some basic smaller adjustments to Lift (shadows) and Gamma (highlights). Use the white bars for that. With these you apply the LUT to the whole 'shabang' - and thereby tone the LUT up or down as you see fit. If you find a good LUT for you, it can also be deployed as a standard correction on importing the media.

Because of the large video format be sure to investigate working with Optimized Media, otherwise the PC may buckle under the pressure from the amount of processing.

Working with Render Cache -> Smart (Playback menu item) gives a really fast rendering process.

You want to use the large video format in order to be able to speed up or down - or - zoom in/out in post-edit without loss of too much detail in final version.

All of it can be Googled/YT'ed. My 5 pennies worth...

Wow, that is amazing information. I will download the LUT's and start testing. I totally understand the "bottom line" question may not have been the proper term. It is all subjective.
Thanks for the information!

Reactions: Eyvindj
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots