DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bottom sensors still active in sport mode?

KelvinFPV

Reactions
A week or so ago we had a SAR training mission for rope rescue. We hiked a good ways up to a ledge and when we got to the top the safety person noticed a good few members wernt wearing mask and we routinely couldn't keep socially distant so I ran back to the truck and thought along the way to save time I would fly the mask back up to them . It worked wonderfully, the load wasn't that heavy, I just couldn't decend! I had to hold down and go into landing mode to overide the sensor then tap rhe Rth button to stop the decent while another member took the payload. Too rocky, dirty and grassy to actually land all the way. Thinking back on it im pretty positive I switched it over to sport mode after the first attempt but it still would go down. Has anyone else ever experienced this maybe on another model?

I don't think the downward infrared sensor can ever be turned off on this model. I turn all the sensors off all the time, but the infrared sensor always comes into play when hand catching. You have to reach up and grab it as far forward - or away from the sensor - as possible. That was probably your issue. No way around it that I know of.

I don't think the downward infrared sensor can ever be turned off on this model. I turn all the sensors off all the time, but the infrared sensor always comes into play when hand catching. You have to reach up and grab it as far forward - or away from the sensor - as possible. That was probably your issue. No way around it that I know of.
Yeah i usually get the little jump 1 time while handcatching. Ive kinda learned to decend low enough its still in reach after the jump.

That being said, I wonder if a little electrical tape over the sensor before arming will deactivate those sensors? I know if its dark I get the message "vision system disabled" or something to that effect if its dark.

I wonder if a little electrical tape over the sensor before arming will deactivate those sensors?
Yeah, I proposed that idea to a forum member awhile ago when he was looking to completely disable the sensor, I think for over water flight. I never heard back if it worked, but it probably would. It only makes sense.

On my M2P, the bottom sensors are still active in sport mode. Taping up the IR sensor will disable it.
On M2P, try disabling Landing protection in sensors menu. It disables the bottom sensor on mine. Great for hand catching.

I can't seem to find the option to disable the landing protection in my Mavic Air 2 menu. Maybe it's an option on the M2P but not the MA2?

I also want to be able to hand catch it with ease. Especially from a boat choppy seas. I've seen a few catch handles which makes hand catching look easy.

I can't seem to find the option to disable the landing protection in my Mavic Air 2 menu. Maybe it's an option on the M2P but not the MA2?

I also want to be able to hand catch it with ease. Especially from a boat choppy seas. I've seen a few catch handles which makes hand catching look easy.
Next time try grabbing it as far forward as you can. The infrared sensor emits downward in a cone and is narrow beneath the copter. By grabbing forward, you can avoid it. You are also correct in that it can not be turned off in settings.

Reactions: asaltfrigate
All the sensors are active in sports mode. In sports mode, you can be going to fast for them to detect and avoid obstacles.

I found this out... Traditionally I fly it up near myself and pick it out of the sky. The sensors kept stopping it. Tried it in sports mode, and yes, sensors still stop it. Had to adjust my "handing" technique a little.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929