DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boy did I screw sumthin' up!

garyinreno

Reactions
Im pretty new at this. I went flying today and the whole time it read "Disconected" in the upper lefthand corner in RED. So I was able to fly, it was just unable to do a few things.
So heres where everything got messed up. A few days ago I got out the drone and started messing with the settings. I really had no business messing with some of those settings. It was like a Auto Mechanic doing a hysterectomy.
I would sure appreciate any help with this mess!

Thank you,
Gary

If you were able to fly the drone then the controller was connected to the drone. The message means that the PHONE was disconnected from the controller.

With regards to the changes you made a few days ago I know of no over all reset button for all the settings but there may be one for camera settings. For the other settings I think your only option is to work your way through the menus and manual and check them one by one.

If relevant to the Mavic Pro, the VITAL ones to check are, IMO,
1) the response to a disconnection of the controller (FAILSAFE) and I would recommend that be set to RTH and
2) the response to the CSC position which I would suggest you set to breakdown, with both of the above I assume the Mavic Pro offers the same options as the Mavic 2 Pro.

As for the rest I am afraid I can not help but suggest you ask about any that you even think you are not certain about.

If you were able to fly the drone then the controller was connected to the drone. The message means that the PHONE was disconnected from the controller.

With regards to the changes you made a few days ago I know of no over all reset button for all the settings but there may be one for camera settings. For the other settings I think your only option is to work your way through the menus and manual and check them one by one.

If relevant to the Mavic Pro, the VITAL ones to check are, IMO,
1) the response to a disconnection of the controller (FAILSAFE) and I would recommend that be set to RTH and
2) the response to the CSC position which I would suggest you set to breakdown, with both of the above I assume the Mavic Pro offers the same options as the Mavic 2 Pro.

As for the rest I am afraid I can not help but suggest you ask about any that you even think you are not certain about.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate being talked to like a human. That other guy has no business being allowed on this site. Just because Im a new guy makes him no better than Myself.
I will try everything you mentioned.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate being talked to like a human. That other guy has no business being allowed on this site. Just because Im a new guy makes him no better than Myself.
Excuse me no offence was meant and on re-reading my comment i can see it could be misconstrued as somewhat abrupt. Again apologies.

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate being talked to like a human.

Ah word to the wise, this is an international forum and people in one region say things in a different way to people from another region. Someone's way of talking may seem abrupt one person but is humorous to another, so you need to develop a bit of a thick skin in that respect.
Also bear in mind that most responders are aiming to offer assistance and some do not pull their punches, if only to save you heart ache further down the line.
What Manc54 wrote, if that is the person you are referring to, is correct, you really should not have flown when you did not know the reason for the warning.
Personally I see nothing wrong with his response but I suspect I have lived in the area he is from and so have some familiarity with the local way of speaking.
There are others on here who are far more abrupt than that but again their aim is generally to be helpful.

Last edited:
That "other guy" was good enough to give you a prompt, honest, and straightforward answer to your request for help. Please don't suggest that he should be removed from this forum.

You should not fly a drone knowing that there is a potentially serious problem with it. There's no getting around that.

If you're willing to accept further advice on your problem, you'll need to provide a better description of your problem. Saying that things are messed up because you messed with them doesn't provide much to go on.

Last edited:
Great.
It's actually rather funny because it sort of illustrates how easy it is to misunderstand what someone is saying.
The impression I got was that you were more concerned about having been experimenting with various settings. I missed the fact that the disconnected message was the reason behind your post.
Cable problems are not unheard of, especially with the 'strange' socket found on the side of these controllers. That socket accepts two types of plug, micro USB type A and B, see File:USB_2.0_and_3.0_connectors.svg from wikipedia. The socket is actually a type A socket.
A type A plug is the rectangular sort used on the DJI cable, type B plug is the one usually used on charging cables and older Android phone cables.
You need to be careful that plugs are the correct way up when inserting them into that side socket otherwise you can damage the socket, with a type B plug the chamfered corners should be nearest the controller's display.
With regards to replacement cables used with the side socket, you also need to ensure that any cable is an OTG cable, the wiring of the micro USB plug differs slightly from that of the micro USB plug in a non OTG cable.
Just as an aside, it is probable that you can also 'drive' the phone using the big, type A socket between the swing out arms ( you can with the Mavic 2 Pro's controller) but to do so you must unplug the side entry cable from the controller. That may make life easier if you ever switch to a tablet that needs an extended cable.
When I got a Mavic mini, it uses a similar style of controller with swing out phone holding arms, I was very worried about damaging the socket in phone (micro USB for me). When I subsequently got the Mavic 2 Pro I thought the cable sliders used in the left arm of the Mavic 2 controller were great, so much so that I fitted one to the Mavic Mini's controller. They make connecting the phone so much easier..... for me.

Last edited:
With regards to replacement cables used with the side socket, you also need to ensure that any cable is an OTG cable,
With a Mavic Pro (or my Platinum) using the standard GL200A RC, an OTG cable or normal cable with OTG adapter does not work, I just tried it. I have seen that said here in this forum before and always doubted it... now we know.

Also, using the large Type A port on bottom of the RC requires a normal cable.

That's interesting because I have found that with one or other of, or perhaps both, the Mavic Mini and the M2P an OTG cable is a MUST for the side entry port. The VERY annoying thing is that I can see no markings on OTG cables to indicate that they are OTG, it would be very helpful if they were marked.

Im pretty new at this. I went flying today and the whole time it read "Disconected" in the upper lefthand corner in RED. So I was able to fly, it was just unable to do a few things.
So heres where everything got messed up. A few days ago I got out the drone and started messing with the settings. I really had no business messing with some of those settings. It was like a Auto Mechanic doing a hysterectomy.
I would sure appreciate any help with this mess!

Thank you,
Gary
Greetings to another northern Nevada flyer! I live in Carson City, and I'd love to get together to fly sometime.

Some quick tips:

1) Don't take off if you're getting any warnings. Figure out what's wrong, and clear the warnings first.
2) If you get any warnings while flying, come home and land immediately, unless you are certain that the warning can be ignored.
3) There's probably a way to change the settings back to factory default, and just re-start your learning process from there. I don't know how to do that, but I'm sure someone here does.

What are you flying?

TCS

I have only heard helpful advise from ALL on this thread unless a post was pulled and I can't see it. Yorkshire_Pud above said: "Also bear in mind that most responders are aiming to offer assistance and some do not pull their punches, if only to save you heart ache further down the line." There is an abundance of knowledge and experience on this forum so appreciate it and enjoy it. Do not jump on others (again not sure why in the first place) or maybe they will hesitate to reply next time. We are all humans but email, text and posts are the not always user friendly and tone is missing many time. Roll with it and benefit from the selfless assistance offered.

Reactions: ifr
Greetings to another northern Nevada flyer! I live in Carson City, and I'd love to get together to fly sometime.

Some quick tips:

1) Don't take off if you're getting any warnings. Figure out what's wrong, and clear the warnings first.
2) If you get any warnings while flying, come home and land immediately, unless you are certain that the warning can be ignored.
3) There's probably a way to change the settings back to factory default, and just re-start your learning process from there. I don't know how to do that, but I'm sure someone here does.

What are you flying?

TCS
Thank you Chaosrider, Its nice to see a Nevada Guy here. The problem with my Mavic Pro was just a bad cable.
I would like to get together and fly sometime. I love flying at Tahoe and Fallen Leaf Lake. Have you flown around them parts? Summer is here and its time to fly!! Im saving up for a M3, Itll be a while!

Hi. A friend of mine had played with many parameters, and he rolled back everything like this:
-Factory settings on the drone, using DJI Assistant connected on USB
-Erase all user data from DJI GO 4 app on his phone. He had to enter his credentials again)
Drone to RC pairing was not lost, so he didn't need that step
Then the drone behave normally

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54