DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BRAND NEW DJI FLY APP UPDATE TO 1.6.8

CLAYB.7

Reactions
I just got the new update on the DJI FLY APP to V.1.6.8 from V.1.6.6 and it was basically a few new features and functions added to the MINI 3 PRO and the MAVIC AIR 2s and overall DJI FLY APP improved functions I'm going to go and investigate it a little further to see if it did have a couple of new features for the MAVIC AIR 2 but I didn't see anything in the little list that they gave with it if you Guys see anything please let me know Thank You and God Bless You ✝️✝️✝️ Sincerely Clay B.

I've just powered up the Mini 3 and the update to the Fly app is not showing up automatically for download. Does anyone know how to update the Fly app on the Smart Controller (Mini 3, not Pro) other than the prompt when loading the app?

Be aware that once again DJI has updated the download file (1.6.8) without updating the text on the link on the download page. The link still shows 1.6.6.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLAYB.7
The Fly app on the RC is included in that big update. It also includes new battery firmware.
The Fly app shows version 1.6.6 on the controller. The Mini 3 firmware is at 01.00.0150, just updated today. RC firmware is at 01.00.0300.

I'm trying to install the Fly app version 1.6.8, released today.

What is the big update you mentioned? Are you thinking of the Mavic 3?

Sorry, I meant the single large update that showed up on my RC controller.
Mini 3 Pro V01.00.0200 - 1060.14MB
This includes the M3P, RC 1.6.8 and battery firmware updates in a single download.

I currently have v01.00.0300 and it sounds like there's a newer version - 01.01.000. But it's not showing up when I connect via Assistant 2.

There is a big change to the attitude indicator. No more lines, the bottom shows false horizon. Upper left switches between craft or controller as center. Whole controller dot changes color with orientation. S, E and W added instead of just N. Plus it is just a few pixels larger, easier to see.
atti5.jpgatti4.jpgatti3.jpgatti2.jpgatti1.jpg

After updating my Mini 3 Pro with RC controller to DJI FLY APP to V.1.6.8 earlier today I had multiple occasions where the RC controller had severe screen "update lags" or momentary freezing of 1-3 seconds despite what i believe were strong connection parameters and line of sight. It also happened once with the quad pretty close. It was worse with screen recording on. It didn't happen with regularity. (I didn't get much sleuthing of the data done. I just started learning about flight records but had been hampered by the fact that they would not show up in the Android file tree using either a card reader or access through the drone. I eventually found at least some of them using the Assistant 2 .) I glanced at the videos and it looks like the image on the SD card also had defective updating.

I charged up and went out again later.

On the second flight set I had total lock up of the controller screen. Once I wasn't sure if it may have been happening. Another time it was clearly happening for a prolonged period of time--long enough for me to eventually dig out my phone and try to record what was happening. I could move the aircraft but there were no updates of any part of the image. This time the Mini 3 Pro was within 10 or so feet of me. Both batteries had lots of juice, the screen recorder was off, video recording was on. Eventually I saw a generic message about fly app in an "app isn't responding" box. I was able to land. I restarted the controller, began a new flight but I could not reproduce the lock up within the battery time I had available. I won't have time to inspect the recordings for a couple of days. And Oh How I'm not looking forward to losing flight time to detective work...

Another thing to note: after updating the OS earlier today I suddenly was able to use Active Track.

One other side issue: I just put a screen protector from Skyreat on today.
It will be coming off.

Darn.
Is this likely because of the update?
Is this sort of communication failure a gremlin that periodically just occurs o_O?

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: burtba
[...] attitude indicator. [...] the bottom shows false horizon.
But still it only correctly shows the horizon's movement relative to the aircraft in pitch. Aircraft's nose goes down, horizon comes up. Correct. In the pitch axis it correctly shows the movement of the horizon.

But in roll it's incorrect. Aircraft rolls to the right, right wing goes down, the horizon should roll to the left. Instead the blue (horizon?) line is shown as rolling to the right. So here it's actually showing the movement of the aircraft, not the horizon.

This hybrid combination hurts my head. In the pitch axis the display correctly corresponds to the movement of the horizon. In the roll axis the display instead corresponds to the movement of the aircraft, not the horizon.

I was really hoping they'd fix this. Apparently not.

Here's a shot of a plane flying in cloud with no outside visual reference. The pilot can only rely on his instruments. The proper artificial horizon display on the left shows the orientation of the blue sky and brown earth relative to the red lines of the airplane's wings. The plane's nose is below the horizon, with the horizon rolled to the left.

DJI also shows the plane's nose below the horizon, but with the plane's wings rolled to the right (confusing).

They're both showing the same thing, but in opposite directions. The instrument on the left shows the motion of the horizon in both pitch and roll. The one on the right is a hybrid showing the motion of the horizon in the pitch axis, but the motion of the plane in the roll axis.

To me, the one on the left makes perfect sense, whereas the one on the right is backwards.
 Instruments.jpg

Below is what it looks like with the actual horizon visible. Clearly the proper artificial horizon instrument on the left makes more sense with the display correctly aligned with the actual horizon. DJI's instrument display on the right becomes even more bizarre when compared to the actual horizon.
 InstrumentsWithHorizon.jpg

The latest Fly app update has not corrected this discrepancy. It's still backwards. And why do they insist on showing the area below their new [plane/horizon line?] as blue? Not only is it rolling in the wrong direction, but it's also upside down. The sky should be blue and the earth brown, no?

atti4.jpg

But still it only correctly shows the horizon's movement relative to the aircraft in pitch. Aircraft's nose goes down, horizon comes up. Correct. In the pitch axis it correctly shows the movement of the horizon.

But in roll it's incorrect. Aircraft rolls to the right, right wing goes down, the horizon should roll to the left. Instead the blue (horizon?) line is shown as rolling to the right. So here it's actually showing the movement of the aircraft, not the horizon.

This hybrid combination hurts my head. In the pitch axis the display correctly corresponds to the movement of the horizon. In the roll axis the display instead corresponds to the movement of the aircraft, not the horizon.

Here's a shot of a plane flying in cloud with no outside visual reference. The pilot can only rely on his instruments. The proper artificial horizon display on the left shows the orientation of the blue sky and brown earth relative to the red lines of the airplane's wings. The plane's nose is below the horizon, with the horizon rolled to the left.

DJI also shows the plane's nose below the horizon, but with the plane's wings rolled to the right (confusing).

They're both showing the same thing, but in opposite directions. The instrument on the left shows the motion of the horizon in both pitch and roll. The one on the right is a hybrid showing the motion of the horizon in the pitch axis, but the motion of the plane in the roll axis.

To me, the one on the left makes perfect sense, whereas the one on the right is backwards.
View attachment 151014

Below is what it looks like with the actual horizon visible. Clearly the proper artificial horizon instrument on the left makes more sense with the display correctly aligned with the actual horizon. DJI's instrument display on the right becomes even more bizarre when compared to the actual horizon.
View attachment 151015

The latest Fly app update has not corrected this discrepancy. It's still backwards. And why do they insist on showing the area below their new [plane/horizon line?] as blue? Not only is it rolling in the wrong direction, but it's also upside down. The sky should be blue and the earth brown, no?

View attachment 151018
Well stated and illustrated, @Zbip57. DJI’s interface for this important real-time flight data is confusing—especially in the event of BVLOS flight.

Reactions: BroomRider
After updating my Mini 3 Pro with RC controller to DJI FLY APP to V.1.6.8 earlier today I had multiple occasions where the RC controller had severe screen "update lags" or momentary freezing of 1-3 seconds despite what i believe were strong connection parameters and line of sight. It also happened once with the quad pretty close. It was worse with screen recording on. It didn't happen with regularity. (I didn't get much sleuthing of the data done. I just started learning about flight records but had been hampered by the fact that they would not show up in the Android file tree using either a card reader or access through the drone. I eventually found at least some of them using the Assistant 2 .) I glanced at the videos and it looks like the image on the SD card also had defective updating.

I charged up and went out again later.

On the second flight set I had total lock up of the controller screen. Once I wasn't sure if it may have been happening. Another time it was clearly happening for a prolonged period of time--long enough for me to eventually dig out my phone and try to record what was happening. I could move the aircraft but there were no updates of any part of the image. This time the Mini 3 Pro was within 10 or so feet of me. Both batteries had lots of juice, the screen recorder was off, video recording was on. Eventually I saw a generic message about fly app in an "app isn't responding" box. I was able to land. I restarted the controller, began a new flight but I could not reproduce the lock up within the battery time I had available. I won't have time to inspect the recordings for a couple of days. And Oh How I'm not looking forward to losing flight time to detective work...

Another thing to note: after updating the OS earlier today I suddenly was able to use Active Track.

One other side issue: I just put a screen protector from Skyreat on today.
It will be coming off.

Darn.
Is this likely because of the update?
Is this sort of communication failure a gremlin that periodically just occurs o_O?

Mike
Yeah a few people on Youtube are seeing the same lock ups, even after updating to .201. That's a pretty serious bug really. Seems to be associated with recording, what if someone flys a distance away, finds a scenic view and then records, it could be very tricky. (all still within VLOS)

Yeah a few people on Youtube are seeing the same lock ups, even after updating to .201. That's a pretty serious bug really. Seems to be associated with recording, what if someone flys a distance away, finds a scenic view and then records, it could be very tricky. (all still within VLOS)
I have noticed some buggy behavior since the update myself. A couple of times the drone became non-responive to commands and once I had a gimbal tilt lock up and then it leveled out a few seconds later. Pretty sure there are some bugs in the latest update since my previous versions flights had zero issues.

I agree. It is serious. I had a minute to look at a video around the time of the longest lock up. The drone was a little more than arm's length from me. Time stamps indicate lock up was over minutes. I believe there is an entire section of recording missing. Have you noticed also that the subtitles are now much more verbose than previously?
Mike

DJI Mini 3 Pro Update Available to V01.00.0201
The issue of controller screen lockup and this update to 1.6.8 seem to be in more than one place.
If you are interested, I also have this to say in another thread.

Mike107

Last edited:

View attachment 151014

View attachment 151015

View attachment 151018
Just use black as the sky. Problem solved

There is a big change to the attitude indicator. No more lines, the bottom shows false horizon. Upper left switches between craft or controller as center. Whole controller dot changes color with orientation. S, E and W added instead of just N. Plus it is just a few pixels larger, easier to see.
View attachment 150981View attachment 150982View attachment 150983View attachment 150984View attachment 150985
I actually like this implementation. I would still like to see them give us an option to make the compass absolute rather than relative. I find the relative display too disorienting when moving the controller. North is always the frame of reference (unmovable/fixed) for radar displays which I am used to.

Reactions: Mike107
I actually like this implementation. I would still like to see them give us an option to make the compass absolute rather than relative. I find the relative display too disorienting when moving the controller. North is always the frame of reference (unmovable/fixed) for radar displays which I am used to.
Having options sounds good.
I am more toward the classic artificial horizon kinda guy.

I wasn't sure I'd ever get away from what was a deeply ingrained "Stick back = Up" reflex but I did (--eventually ha ha), so I guess either way it'll work for me
Mike

Reactions: BroomRider

View attachment 151014

View attachment 151015

View attachment 151018
"But in roll it's incorrect. Aircraft rolls to the right, right wing goes down, the horizon should roll to the left. Instead the blue (horizon?) line is shown as rolling to the right. So here it's actually showing the movement of the aircraft, not the horizon."

It was my understanding that the line is there to indicate the angle of the aircraft's body/wings and not the horizon. I thought I read that it was there to give you a feel for how much the aircraft was compensating for wind or fighting it. So your last picture is telling me that the drone is feeling a noticeable west to east cross wind and adjusting to it by lowering its right side as it stays on course heading to the south.

Do others concur, or am I incorrect?

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I think the issue with the attitude indicator (AI), or artificial horizon gauge, is that the programmers that wrote the subroutines for the display are "gamers" and only have experience with flying drones and have never piloted a real aircraft. Therefore, they have no reference to real world situations and circumstances…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest