DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand New Drone - Gimbal Resetting Randomly

maximeeso

Reactions
OK, I know there seem to be like 20 different threads about this but I'm hoping creating a new one I can find someone out there (anyone?!) with some type of success story.

I recently received another Mavic Pro from Best Buy after exchanging a unit that was randomly having "jello" issues. While I was setting it up I updated the drone firmware to .9 (which I realize now was probably a mistake).

Well on my 2nd flight with the new drone I was probably 200 feet up in the air recording 4K video when the camera/gimbal just reset, it pointed up to the sky, pointed to the ground, pointed crooked, and then eventually "leveled out" (albeit, no longer that level horizontally) -- I think some folks on here call it "gimbal gone wild"
Coincidentally enough, the first instance was right at the 9:00 minute mark when the video was about to cycle. (That just sounds so software related to me..)

Currently I have 1 hr 45 minutes of flight time on the drone and it has occurred twice so far. Is there anyone on this forum that has had this issue and resolved it without getting a completely new quad? Some folks have mentioned replacing the ribbon cable might have some success, but that's just a maybe. I've heard of others sending it to DJI and them sending another quad with the exact same issue. I've heard that it might just be a firmware issue, a pity we could never get DJI to look into that.

The deal is, I have 12 days left to exchange it at Best Buy. I am wondering if I should just hold out and hope that it is indeed just a software issue, or if I need to just bite the bullet and do another exchange at Best Buy because it may be a hardware issue.

I want to love and enjoy my Mavic, I really do! That's just proving to be pretty difficult if it's just issue after issue, I'm almost paranoid even the new replacement will have SOME OTHER issue that I cannot get fixed...

Personally, I'd take it back if you still can. Transfer your refresh (if you bought it) to the new drone.

Reactions: Enigma
It sounds like a ribbon cable issue.
After i returned two brand new Mavics (no crashes or heavy landings) with the same gimbal issues, i decided to change out the ribbon cable on my third Mavic myself.
All issues were solved. I am convinced the original cable is poor and has a systemic problem, and over time the vibrations and movement around the "cable folds" on some Mavics are breaking the conducting material. But the gimbal will still work to a certain extent, and throw up errors.

The after market cable appears more robust, and after a few weeks i still have no issues.
I have bought another ribbon cable as a reserve.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSK
Try lowering your resolution and see what happens.
I have not had a problem since I lower the res to 1080p 60. It's been 3 weeks and filling up the card has be a breeze without the reset issue. I will try res 2.7k next to test that out after a month at 1080. But I know for sure filming at 4k for long periods it will reset randomly. For me I wouldn't trade it because the mavic in my opinion size and price point is the best in the game. (Mavic or Die) [emoji12]

I have not had a problem since I lower the res to 1080p 60. It's been 3 weeks and filling up the card has be a breeze without the reset issue. I will try res 2.7k next to test that out after a month at 1080. But I know for sure filming at 4k for long periods it will reset randomly. For me I wouldn't trade it because the mavic in my opinion size and price point is the best in the game. (Mavic or Die) [emoji12]
But 1080p on the Mavic is absolutely Sh****t.

It sounds like a ribbon cable issue.
After i returned two brand new Mavics (no crashes or heavy landings) with the same gimbal issues, i decided to change out the ribbon cable on my third Mavic myself.
All issues were solved. I am convinced the original cable is poor and has a systemic problem, and over time the vibrations and movement around the "cable folds" on some Mavics are breaking the conducting material. But the gimbal will still work to a certain extent, and throw up errors.

The after market cable appears more robust, and after a few weeks i still have no issues.
I have bought another ribbon cable as a reserve.
My ribbon looks perfect. What I notice is light knicking at top of the camera with gimbal clamp that protrudes down to keep the gimbal mount from sliding out of place. I will try to take a picture and post it.

Try lowering your resolution and see what happens.

Well I'm not interested in doing that. I paid $1,000 for a drone that was capable of 4K for a reason. (I'm not meaning this to sound like a snide remark, just annoyed with DJI)

I will just be returning my second unit and hoping that the third time's the charm.

I lowered mine and my problem went away . I'm going to work my way back up to see when the problem reoccurs. I also was think about using a faster SD card. My current card has a wright speed of 57.8mb. I tested the card with h2testw_1.4

There is another post out there with someone having similar issues

I may just be keeping this drone depending on how the next 10 days go (length of exchange window) and if it worsens over time I will replace the ribbon cable myself down the road. I flew for over an hour today with no issues with sport mode and 4K recording. *knock on wood that she'll keep it up*

On a scale of 1-10, how hard would you rate the changing of the ribbon cable? I have taken apart a $40 drone I had and soldered a new motor on, is it much more difficult than that?

Reactions: Former Member
On a scale of 1-10, how hard would you rate the changing of the ribbon cable? I have taken apart a $40 drone I had and soldered a new motor on, is it much more difficult than that?

I would rate it a 9. It's like threading a needle. Just getting the bends right while installing the new cable can take alot of time, and then you have to deal with the DJI black glue sticking to all the ribbons and connectors. Sometimes you end up breaking something else while trying to fix the first problem. And this is from a guy who fixes a bunch of them a week.

I'm in the middle of this right now. I've gotten a replacement drone from DJI with the same issue. I heard that using the PC application to reset the gimble (Not the iphone reset the gimble) works. So far it has now for me. I know there is a trick to install the driver in windows 10.

Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost