DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic Mini gimbal goes wild

Reactions
Hi fellow mavic pilots!

My Mavic Mini got delivered today and I was stoked to fly it!
I got it into the air and well...the problems already started.

I saw that there was condensation in the lens of the camera, and as a photographer I know that water and technology aren't always good friends.
I landed my Mavic mini, brought it inside and waited 10 mins before going out again,
when I placed the Mavic on the ground and powered it up, the gimbal just went wild (check video attachment).

When I tried to calibrate the gimbal it wouldn't let me.
I had to calibrate the IMU first and then I would be able to calibrate the gimbal.

The problem is, this happens over and over again.
After calibration it only takes 10 seconds of flight time before the gimbal starts to freak out again for a full 5 seconds.

I contacted the DJI helpcenter but they couldn't help me,
that's why I want to ask if some of you guys had the same issue and or a solution before sending the 1 day old drone back to the factory.

cheers

(I can't post videos so took a few screenshots, the gimbal basically freaked out and went left-right-down-left-up... everywhere ! it ended like the last photo and it stayed in that position until the new IMU calibration)
(did not do the V01.00.0500 update yet because it has nothing to do with the gimbal)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.52.37.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.52.37.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.52.50.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.52.50.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.54.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.54.51.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.55.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 17.55.08.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi fellow mavic pilots!

My Mavic Mini got delivered today and I was stoked to fly it!
I got it into the air and well...the problems already started.

I saw that there was condensation in the lens of the camera, and as a photographer I know that water and technology aren't always good friends.
I landed my Mavic mini, brought it inside and waited 10 mins before going out again,
when I placed the Mavic on the ground and powered it up, the gimbal just went wild (check video attachment).

When I tried to calibrate the gimbal it wouldn't let me.
I had to calibrate the IMU first and then I would be able to calibrate the gimbal.

The problem is, this happens over and over again.
After calibration it only takes 10 seconds of flight time before the gimbal starts to freak out again for a full 5 seconds.

I contacted the DJI helpcenter but they couldn't help me,
that's why I want to ask if some of you guys had the same issue and or a solution before sending the 1 day old drone back to the factory.

cheers

(I can't post videos so took a few screenshots, the gimbal basically freaked out and went left-right-down-left-up... everywhere ! it ended like the last photo and it stayed in that position until the new IMU calibration)
(did not do the V01.00.0500 update yet because it has nothing to do with the gimbal)
That does not sound normal. When powering up, the gimbal with do a "dance" as it moves the camera around. You have to upload video to Youtube and then post a link back here.

Maybe one of the experts will have some suggestions. Good luck

That does not sound normal. When powering up, the gimbal with do a "dance" as it moves the camera around. You have to upload video to Youtube and then post a link back here.

Maybe one of the experts will have some suggestions. Good luck

The gimbal doesn’t dance when powering up but after 10 seconds it’s freaking out,
video below

Definitely not normal! That's some funky moves yours is doing!! I'd suggest returning it for a replacement given it is brand new.

The normal startup gimbal "dance" is short and is basically gimbal swinging the camera from ends stop to end stop on all 3 axes at once, ending with the camera pointing straight forward.

Moisture in the lens hints at water damage - drying out the mechanism might fix it and may be worth trying before committing to returning it?

Mine did this after dropping it into a river. The next day after drying it out it did this. After drying it out for another day and spraying a tiny bit of silicone lube on it, it worked fine after that. It felt like it was sticking, like some small dirt or sand was in it before so I worked it out manually with pressurized air and lube. Good luck.

Definitely not normal! That's some funky moves yours is doing!! I'd suggest returning it for a replacement given it is brand new.

The normal startup gimbal "dance" is short and is basically gimbal swinging the camera from ends stop to end stop on all 3 axes at once, ending with the camera pointing straight forward.

Moisture in the lens hints at water damage - drying out the mechanism might fix it and may be worth trying before committing to returning it?

The mini was brand new and only flew it once that day in dry weather.
The condensation was because of the difference in temperature inside and outside...I don’t think the funkyness was because of the condensation,
the product is being replaced!
Now I only worry what’s going if to happen to my care refresh...is it going to be transferred?

Reactions: scro

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf