DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new to drones..... Just bought the Mavic 2 Pro!!! Hello from New Jersey! Have a few quick questions.

Reactions
Hello all!

So, my new drone (M2P) will be arriving tomorrow. What should I do first when I receive it? I am afraid of the NFZ / DJI controversy (but obviously not enough to not buy DJI... hope this was a good choice and doesn't turn into a NFZ headache).

I am aware of NLD. I will use them if I NEED to. Hopefully I won't. According to the DJI online map I am not in a NFZ. So that's a good thing. I do have a tiny airport within 5 miles, but it must not have registered on their NFZ map.

So...... my questions are:

1) When I first turn on the drone, controller, and download the app (I'm assuming DJI GO 4??), should I do the firmware upgrades, or cancel them? I did not purchase the Smart Controller.

2) Anything else I should or should not do when I unbox/get this new drone up and running??

Thanks everybody! Loving the forum!!

- Joe

Welcome to the forum! :)

When I first turn on the drone, controller, and download the app (I'm assuming DJI GO 4??), should I do the firmware upgrades, or cancel them? I did not purchase the Smart Controller.
Yes, you need to install DJI GO 4 on your mobile device. Firmware updates are optional, but it's a good idea to install them.

Anything else I should or should not do when I unbox/get this new drone up and running??
Download the manual from the Mavic 2 downloads page and check out the other documentation I have in the "Must-Haves" section linked here.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your M2 Pro.

I recommend that you make sure you have the latest version of DJI GO 4 installed and then update the firmware. Make sure you turn the bird on and connect with each of the batteries because there may be updates for them as well. I would also download the latest manual for the Mavic 2 and read it cover to cover. A ton of questions posted on this forum can be answered by the manual.

When you get ready to fly for the first time make sure there are no warnings in the app or on the controller. Verify that the radar indicator points the same way as the drone and take off and hover for a minute or two to make sure everything is copacetic then just enjoy.

Welcome to the forum my first thing I did b4 I flew my first Phantom was jumped on line for a cpl hrs to learn the drone b4 I took off the only reason why I did that is because I'm not just flying for me I'm flying my drone for the drone community what ever I do reflect the drone community no matter were I live...fly safe

Hello all!

So, my new drone (M2P) will be arriving tomorrow. What should I do first when I receive it? I am afraid of the NFZ / DJI controversy (but obviously not enough to not buy DJI... hope this was a good choice and doesn't turn into a NFZ headache).

I am aware of NLD. I will use them if I NEED to. Hopefully I won't. According to the DJI online map I am not in a NFZ. So that's a good thing. I do have a tiny airport within 5 miles, but it must not have registered on their NFZ map.

So...... my questions are:

1) When I first turn on the drone, controller, and download the app (I'm assuming DJI GO 4??), should I do the firmware upgrades, or cancel them? I did not purchase the Smart Controller.

2) Anything else I should or should not do when I unbox/get this new drone up and running??

Thanks everybody! Loving the forum!!

- Joe
Welcome to the forum! Where are you in NJ and which airport is near you?

You'll find plenty of places to fly. Stick with the DJI restrictions and stay legal.

You are obviously very new at this and that is a very expensive piece of machinery so please download the manual and read it many times over. Watch YouTube videos. At first fly only in beginner mode. Be careful and be safe.

Welcome to the forum! Where are you in NJ and which airport is near you?

You'll find plenty of places to fly. Stick with the DJI restrictions and stay legal.

You are obviously very new at this and that is a very expensive piece of machinery so please download the manual and read it many times over. Watch YouTube videos. At first fly only in beginner mode. Be careful and be safe.

Thanks. Planning on starting off learning in Tripod Mode. Slower flying, plus the side sensors will be activated. I have 4 acres of property, so plenty of space to learn. Near the Flying W airport in Medford NJ. Here's a google link: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Flying+W+airport

Thanks. Planning on starting off learning in Tripod Mode. Slower flying, plus the side sensors will be activated. I have 4 acres of property, so plenty of space to learn. Near the Flying W airport in Medford NJ. Here's a google link: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Flying+W+airport
Beginner Mode also gives you slow flight and side sensors. In addition it automatically limits you to distance and altitude so you're basically flying in a bubble.

I'm very close to Medford and I know the Flying W. I have flown in and out of there in small planes. I hear that it may be closing in the future. Also took my Part 107 exam there.

4 acres of open land is a good place to learn. Best of luck!

Could be fine, but I’d recommend flying in beginner mode until you’re very comfortable with the controls and response or your M2P. I flew this way for a month.

Beginner Mode also gives you slow flight and side sensors. In addition it automatically limits you to distance and altitude so you're basically flying in a bubble.

I'm very close to Medford and I know the Flying W. I have flown in and out of there in small planes. I hear that it may be closing in the future. Also took my Part 107 exam there.

4 acres of open land is a good place to learn. Best of luck!

Thank you!! I did not know about Beginner Mode. I will try that.

Do you have a DJI drone (I'm assuming you do since you're on this forum). Is the Flying W a NFZ according to DJI? It doesn't show as a NFZ on their online map. It just shows as any other area with no restrictions.

Edit: And yes, the Flying W may be closing to put up mandatory low-income houses which Medford does not have. State mandatory. So, withing the next 5 years or so it'll probably close and a housing development go up there :(

... Is the Flying W a NFZ according to DJI? It doesn't show as a NFZ on their online map. It just shows as any other area with no restrictions.
Try AirMap on your phone/tablet to check clearance to fly. It gives almost instant LAANC approval to fly. Once your info is all entered one time it literally takes seconds. Just Google it for a download site.

Here’s the LAANC info from FAA updated last as of 6-6-2019
:UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)

Try AirMap on your phone/tablet to check clearance to fly. It gives almost instant LAANC approval to fly. Once your info is all entered one time it literally takes seconds. Just Google it for a download site.

Here’s the LAANC info from FAA updated last as of 6-6-2019
:UAS Data Exchange (LAANC)
The OP is a new pilot and likely not Part 107 licensed. As such he has no access to LAANC at this time.

The OP is a new pilot and likely not Part 107 licensed. As such he has no access to LAANC at this time.

Correct, I am not yet 107 Certified. I will get there though in time.

Okay, Okay........ here's where I'm confused. AirMap. Can I use AirMap to fly my drone and not have to use the DJI Go 4 app??? Is that true or am I mistaken?

Correct, I am not yet 107 Certified. I will get there though in time.

Okay, Okay........ here's where I'm confused. AirMap. Can I use AirMap to fly my drone and not have to use the DJI Go 4 app??? Is that true or am I mistaken?
AirMap is only a clearance app. Not an app to fly/control your drone.

Do you have a DJI drone (I'm assuming you do since you're on this forum). Is the Flying W a NFZ according to DJI? It doesn't show as a NFZ on their online map. It just shows as any other area with no restrictions.

Edit: And yes, the Flying W may be closing to put up mandatory low-income houses which Medford does not have. State mandatory. So, withing the next 5 years or so it'll probably close and a housing development go up there :(
Hi,

Yes I have many DJI drones. I never have enough LOL (have a look at my signature for current fleet).

AirMap is only a clearance app. Not an app to fly/control your drone.
Actually the current version of AirMap does indeed allow you to fly your drone from within the app. I have never tried it and I would recommend sticking with DJI Go 4.

Hey if you want a professional flying lesson to get you started, please let me know.

Hi,

Yes I have many DJI drones. I never have enough LOL (have a look at my signature for current fleet).

Actually the current version of AirMap does indeed allow you to fly your drone from within the app. I have never tried it and I would recommend sticking with DJI Go 4.

Hey if you want a professional flying lesson to get you started, please let me know.

Thank you Thomas B for the clarification on the AirMap! :)

And PhantomFandom, thank you!.... I might take you up on the flying lesson. I'll see how the first few days go! I'm excited.

- Joe

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ