DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Breaking the rules

TerryToast

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Tuesday was a nice sunny day and while walking to the beach to fly my drone, I saw a woman in her 20s riding her bicycle on the footpath with no helmet, which is against the law in Australia and very slightly dangerous. Lots of people saw her and no-one was upset, it was absolutely fine.

In contrast, this forum (in every category) has so many posts by people who feel the need to lecture other drone pilots for every minor infringement they see. They behave like the sky is falling and claim that these minor infringements will result in stricter laws and penalties for us all, possibly banning recreational flying all together.

I personally do not believe that the young woman riding her bicycle, who I mentioned earlier, is ruining it for all cyclists, nor will she get all bicycles banned in the world. The same applies for drone pilots.

The moral of this story? Ease up on the lecturing, just chill out and enjoy flying your drone.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“Any fool can make a rule. And any fool will mind it.” — Henry David Thorea

you have expressed an opinion yours ,on the subject of rules which you are entitled to do
and the people whom you speak of are expressing their opinion ,which they are entitled to do

Tuesday was a nice sunny day and while walking to the beach to fly my drone, I saw a woman in her 20s riding her bicycle on the footpath with no helmet, which is against the law in Australia and very slightly dangerous. Lots of people saw her and no-one was upset, it was absolutely fine.

In contrast, this forum (in every category) has so many posts by people who feel the need to lecture other drone pilots for every minor infringement they see. They behave like the sky is falling and claim that these minor infringements will result in stricter laws and penalties for us all, possibly banning recreational flying all together.

I personally do not believe that the young woman riding her bicycle, who I mentioned earlier, is ruining it for all cyclists, nor will she get all bicycles banned in the world. The same applies for drone pilots.

The moral of this story? Ease up on the lecturing, just chill out and enjoy flying your drone.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” — Robert A. Heinlein

Well, drones are new, velocipedes have been around for centuries. Might be why some people act all skies are falling, or “could fall from the sky”. Because they enjoy their drones, and wouldn’t want it to be taken from them by legislation. I’m sure that bikes annoyed the crap out of people when they started to be generally available and I’m even more sure that some cyclists were dumb as ... Thus annoyed a lot of people.

I agree to your post, to some extent. Fly safe, chill.

But please folks, don’t fly near/over airports/helipads, don’t fly ultra high, don’t fly in super urban environments close to radio interference (that means wifi), don’t fly with error codes, don’t fly with damaged props, don’t fly with batteries in discharge mode, don’t fly without knowing the limitations of your drone, don’t fly with total confidence in the hardware, don’t fly with total confidence in the software, don’t fly without having read and understood the manual, don’t fly close to people that’s not participating, don’t fly to violate people’s integrity or privacy, don’t fly without your name and number on your craft and perhaps most importantly: don’t fly with your head under your arm and forget your arm at home.

But there's a difference. Bicycles are very common and everybody is used to them. Riding without a helmet? Only the rider is in danger. On a footpath? Hikers only? Yeah, I 'd be a bit upset but not much you can do. You can see where the bike is heading and stay out of the way. It's not all that maneuverable. The bystander has most of the control if the bicyclist is up to no good.

But a drone flying by is scary - on many levels. Who's operating it and for what purpose? Am I being spied on? Is it going to hit me? Is it going to fall out of the sky? It's an intrusion into my privacy - it better not be taking pictures of me or what me and my friends are doing. It's fast and can change directions quickly. You can't get out of it's way. The bystander has no control over the situation and feels helpless. If we ignore the fear and apprehension we are creating in others, rules will be made, our hobby will be restricted.

I do not lecture others, and do not wish to be lectured, but I do appreciate enlightenment and advice. As long as it's given in a friendly manner. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be misconstrued on a forum where others can't see your feelings and attitude.

I think the thing that triggers the policing response from other posters, myself included, is that we all get tarred by the same brush and the media's love of sensationalising things.
Your 20 year old riding her bike without her helmet isn't going to make the news unless she goes under a truck etc. and gets squashed and even then her helmet status will probably be ignored. But if an irresponsible, or not, drone pilot had an accident and injured someone whilst breaking the law, or perhaps not, there's a fair chance it will make the six o'clock news.
Plus I bet your 20 year old didn't stick a video of her journey on youtube.

I agree that in some cases the admonishment goes a bit far or on too long but such is life

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me put it from a totally different perspective....

I started flying R/C aircraft (now called UAS/Drones) in 1974. Up until about 2012 we had few "rules" and we self regulated because we all had a lot of skin in the game. In order to fly R/C you had to learn to fly, build the aircraft (to some degree) and if you didn't take the time to do both you crashed very quickly. This made it a Self Correcting problem.

Now fast forward to 2013~ and add GPS guidance, Gyro Stabilization, Buy & Fly simplicity and all of a sudden you no longer have the self correcting problem. You can "Fly" a drone with nothing more than a credit card and reading the "Quick Start Guide" and you don't have to fly at a flying field and you can fly ANYWHERE (right or wrong).

All of a sudden my wild and free hobby is now regulated strictly because so many people behave with NO REGARD to anyone else. Flying a drone CAN impact other people (aircraft, people on the ground etc) but the chick riding the bike is ONLY affecting herself and her insurance company.

So I don't see myself taking the advice of " Ease up on the lecturing, just chill out and enjoy flying your drone." because the actions of the inconsiderate have had DRASTIC effects on my hobby and my profession.

I hear what everyone is saying about rules but let me throw this in.
We have guidelines/rules here which one of them is this.
..15. The Community Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the community owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited...
Now its one thing to try and guide members that haven’t a clue
or care but to carry on and get argumentative like I see in more
threads than I can even remember Is not necessary .
So guess what I’m trying to say is state your opinion but don't
cross over that . If a member knows better but does it anyway
there is no need in getting into a argumentative debate because
he's going to do it anyway so all you have accomplished is taking staffs time to clean up threads.

Well of course it's a matter of degree and depends on the seriousness of any given breach. If one receives a lecture from one's peers on this forum then one possibly deserves it. If said lecture is over the top others will chime in in support. To that extent it's self moderating. Promoting ill-considered flying is no worse than ill-considered reacting to minutiae. There has to be balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbez1
So you're comparing people's reactions seeing the cyclist against comments on a forum? Have you seen anyone flying a drone illegally and checked the reaction of people around? Have you checked any cycling forums to see if their reaction is as bad as you say the drone forums are? You're comparing chalk with cheese

That’s not true about the bike rider not causing any damage just yesterday I saw a poor old man get decked buy some jerk thinking he can ride around 15 miles an hour without looking where he’s going

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
The people in this forum are a small percentage of drone fliers. There are many who fly way out of line. Look at YouTube. So reiterating the rules and regs and name calling is not going to affect alot of drone fliers but hurt feelings of members who are for the most part law abiding fun loving. I joined this forum to share and learn. Do you think If all persons on this forum flew leagle eagle do you think the FAA would say who look at these guys. Let's give some leeway to the rules let them fly BLOS. I dont think so. So let's enjoy our hobby and enjoy the fellowship of our fellow flyers. Have a great wked. Oh also fly safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbez1
I understand where the OP is coming from and I also understand the probable outcome to our hobby if a drone brings down a plane or seriously injures someone. To the drone legalists I would point out that you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. Make your point but do it in a diplomatic way and it will be better received as per OMM (a terrific role model). To the OP, I would submit that a better comparison would be atv’s and drones. All it takes is one or two abusive or excessively loud riders to ruin it for the other 95% in an area. I’ve seen it happen and I could see the same scenario with drones. As Pistic said, “have a great weekend”.

Well stated???

Reactions: Jet skier
As I mentioned in the similar post, while I don't advocate it by any means....go ahead break the rules have your fun and enjoy. If nothing happens pat yourself on the back, write it in your log, tell your best friends but don't post it on social media.

If someone took a pic of the young lady riding her bike only because of her pretty legs....some authority might see that she is not wearing a helmet and try to track her down for the fine or a warning and the same is true with your illegal flights with the added caveat that we "may" take the risk with you with future restrictions if you get caught or mess up.

It always sucks that the rule breakers take us down with them instead of facing the music on their own.....but those are the rules!!!!

Have a nice flight!!!!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I hear what everyone is saying about rules but let me throw this in.
We have guidelines/rules here which one of them is this.
..15. The Community Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the community owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited...
Now its one thing to try and guide members that haven’t a clue
or care but to carry on and get argumentative like I see in more
threads than I can even remember Is not necessary .
So guess what I’m trying to say is state your opinion but don't
cross over that . If a member knows better but does it anyway
there is no need in getting into a argumentative debate because
he's going to do it anyway so all you have accomplished is taking staffs time to clean up threads.
“Stop the earth, I will come down”

Ditto and I love your Quotes at the end of your post.

Covid 19 is a good example for having rules and our "free spirits" doing what they want, then hey presto, we have a second wave of more severe lock downs. Thanks to all who feel like doing their own thing. There are often legitimate reasons for having rules.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I joined this group to learn and enjoy other people's experience of drone flying not arguments on regulations and behavior. An opinion is just that, when it becomes emotional then that's not good for anyone. There will always be lawbreakers out there but it's the potential risk and severity that matters and will drive regulation not whether someone flies 2 feet above the max limit. Let he/she who has done nothing wrong in their life cast the first stone is what I say.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851