DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brighter Monitor

Kent Lewis

Reactions
I just got my first drone, a Mavic Mini. Can anyone recommend a brighter monitor that my iPhone 8. I full sun it is virtually impossible to see, even at the brightest setting.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
welcome to the forum,unless you want to shell out for a dedicated high brightness monitor you will always have an issue ,i have a 9.7 6th gen ipad and combined with a sun hood it is pretty good on full brightness, plus the screen is easier to see, sometimes you can be lucky and stand in the shadow of a tree or other structure and this will help you to see the screen

I just got my first drone, a Mavic Mini. Can anyone recommend a brighter monitor that my iPhone 8. I full sun it is virtually impossible to see, even at the brightest setting.
Listen to @old man mavic. He knows what he’s talking about. I use an IPad mini 5 with shield.

I use an android phone with a homemade sun shield. I made it from a cheap cardboard folder to see if it would truly help. It truly helps! As OldManMavic says, stand in some shade, too, that helps.

Reactions: old man mavic
I find this the most flexible sun hood

Reactions: old man mavic
My experience with shields is if there is a bright cloudy sky behind you, the shield does little. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E which has an extremely bright AMOLED screen. It works great outside. There are sales on it now with various dealers.

My experience with shields is if there is a bright cloudy sky behind you, the shield does little. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E which has an extremely bright AMOLED screen. It works great outside. There are sales on it now with various dealers.

The Galaxy S5e has a brightness of 450nits which is in the normal range

Not sure where you are but I noticed with my iPhone 11, when I was out on a very sunny day, my phone got VERY hot while flying. It must be a protection on the phone to dim the screen to prevent overheating. I landed immediately and went in my car with the AC on high and waited til it cooled down. It was fine again. I’m just more aware now of the heat and make sure to give the phone a rest in a cool area between flights.

Reactions: 6 String Fan
Yes, ultimately boils down to the NITS output of the device you are using. Period. That is the measure of screen brightness.
Using a sun shield or hood certainly will help.
But if you want to compare one mobile or tablet to another and how they will do in bright conditions, just google up their nits specs.

For comparison, your iPhone8 has a value of 530 max. Which is normal, nothing special. The Tab S5e as stated is 480, again just basic. Neither designed for daylight super duty use.

Here's what to look for when choosing a smartphone display | Digit
"Anything around 600 nits is good enough, but there are smartphones that push the brightness to over 1000 nits. High brightness is particularly useful when you are using the phone outdoors in the open sun, and it also aids in the display of HDR content. You should also keep in mind the minimum brightness."

when I was out on a very sunny day, my phone got VERY hot while flying. It must be a protection on the phone to dim the screen to prevent overheating.
That happened to me, too. Scary. Black screen with the drone still in the air!

my experience is the iPhone will overheat and shut down/become unresponsive when overheated. Androids seem to handle the abuse a little better. Either way, not good.

Reactions: 6 String Fan
Thanks for the replies.
I just ordered a sun shield and we’ll see how that works before I spring for a more elegant solution.
Update: I tried the Monitor Sun Hood from Amazon and it works well enough. I am still looking into something with a larger screen like an iPad Mini.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54