DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing but NOT flying in Thailand?

MikkelQuist

Reactions
Hey guys!
In September/Oktober I’m going on a trip, visiting Thailand but also Laos and Vietnam. I’ve checked the rules for flying in Laos and Vietnam and that doesn’t worry me at all.
But I still need to bring my Mavic Air and I’m worried bringing it with me in Thailand without any permission, even without flying at all. I really need to bring my drone with me, but the thought of the possibilty of ending up in prison scares me enough to leave it home.
Do I need to worry if I bring it without flying it in Thailand?

Hey guys!
In September/Oktober I’m going on a trip, visiting Thailand but also Laos and Vietnam. I’ve checked the rules for flying in Laos and Vietnam and that doesn’t worry me at all.
But I still need to bring my Mavic Air and I’m worried bringing it with me in Thailand without any permission, even without flying at all. I really need to bring my drone with me, but the thought of the possibilty of ending up in prison scares me enough to leave it home.
Do I need to worry if I bring it without flying it in Thailand?
Just got back. You wont have any problem. Just don't fly in stupid places . Had no problems on 7 flights from Beijing to Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok.

Last edited:
Just got back. You wont have any problem. Just don't fly in stupid places . Had no problems on 7 flights from Beijing to Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok.
Hi Sunny,

Glad everything was okay when you visited!

Quick question, did you travel with your drone in your hold or check luggage? Going to Bangkok next week and just want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible!

Cheers

Hi Sunny,

Glad everything was okay when you visited!

Quick question, did you travel with your drone in your hold or check luggage? Going to Bangkok next week and just want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible!

Cheers

The LiPo’s at least must be in your carry-on

No issue with a drone in Thailand. Just dont fly it like an idiot.

The LiPo’s at least must be in your carry-on
I don't think it matters on the drone itself but the battery's need to be carry on or you will have a problem. I took all my stuff in a back pack and just took out the battery's and my electronic stuff when I went though customs. They don't seen to care about the drone itself..

What do Thais consider a stupid place?

The same as normal people. Prisons, hospitals, military bases, big crowded beaches and tourist areas, temples. No different to anywhere else, just employ common sense.
They're banned in national parks with fines ranging from 500 - 1000 baht ($40 or so).

Hi Mikkel, you're going to love it! I had the chance to fly around Vietnam islands and it was simply awesome, especially Con Dao Islands! I made a little video out of it: the first scene is the arrival on the island.

If you have time, I would definitely recommend Cambodia on your way which is simply the best country to fly around in this region. If you have time, try to aim for the village of Kompong Luong and you will end up with a clip like this:

I'm still getting chill bumps from it :)

When it comes to Thailand, I haven't had a chance to fly there myself but read that its pretty strict in terms of regulation but not many apply it - I'm trying to sum up all info for us.

In the meantime, here is a useful map on where/not to fly in Thailand that I'm sure will help most of us: https://magiapp.me/thnfz/

Safe flights!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots