DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing M2P into Thailand but not flying

llonfull

Reactions
Do you know if I am allowed to bring my drone into Thailand?. My purpose is not to fly it there, but taking it to Malasya. I would like to make it simple as I will be going soon, and I do not have time to register it with the CAAT.

I would not like to see my drone confiscated at the Airport!!

Thanks

Hello. I was in Thailand in January and had no problem with the drone at the airport. I flew from London to Beijing and from Beijing to Bangkok. On the way back I flew from Phuket to Bangkok from Bangkok to Beijing and from Beijing to London. I did not have any problems in Thailand, China and the UK

Thanks for your answer.

Did you fly your drone in Thailand? Did you have it registered?

Thanks for your answer.

Did you fly your drone in Thailand? Did you have it registered?

Hi Ilonfull,

The Thai government regulator actually mandates each and every drone operator in Thailand - including recreational and irrespective of size - get registered with them and be issued a certificate (single sheet if paper) which says the drones registered. It's pretty painless and at that time, it took less than 10 minutes. Now it might be longer but I think if you're just in the country for a few days, follow a few simple rules if you do not have time to get registered:
  1. Must not be flown in a way that could cause harm to life and property, or disturb the peace, of others.
  2. Must be flown in line of sight at all times.
  3. Must not be flown over gatherings of people.
  4. Must not be flown near areas where there are piloted aircraft.
  5. Should not be used to violate the privacy of others.
  6. Get permission from the landowner before flying your drone
  7. Only fly in daylight
  8. Drone must be in line of sight at all times
  9. Not fly higher than 90 metres
  10. Must not fly over cities, villages, communities or areas where people are gathered
  11. Must not fly near aircraft that pilots (goes without saying)
  12. Must not violate privacy rights of others
  13. Must not cause a nuisance to others
With this all in mind, you are ready to snap some beautiful photographs and shoot some fantastic videos of your travels in Thailand!

For further information, please contact:
The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission
87 Phaholythin 8 (Soi Sailom),
Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400
Tel: +(66) 2670 8888
NBTC Call Center 1200

Also, if you want to err on the side of extreme caution, you could just walk into any major police station (I went to Lumpini Police Station in Bangkok) and just told them I have a drone and want to fly and they helped me out.

The website most people will direct you to - CAAT - seems to be down at this moment but you could try to google it more. They had a poster out when the registrations were being enforced (see below):

48ceace0a1d8272c6a0d82a19eeb39ba.jpeg

Good luck, be smart and remember you're an ambassador for foreigners and enthusiasts.

Best, BangkokFlyBoy

For further information, please contact:
The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission
87 Phaholythin 8 (Soi Sailom),
Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400
Tel: +(66) 2670 8888
NBTC Call Center 1200

Also, if you want to err on the side of extreme caution, you could just walk into any major police station (I went to Lumpini Police Station in Bangkok) and just told them I have a drone and want to fly and they helped me out.

What do you mean "helped me out?" Did they direct you to CAAT and NBTC?

Can you even fly within Bangkok?

I've been trying to register with CAAT for a couple of months but they ask for all kinds of documents that I can't produce:

1. Visa on arrival stamp
2. Insurance policy showing my drone model and serial number.

NBTC it appears you can't register online, you have to go to office.

Unfortunately, I'm visiting Chiang Mai first and Bangkok last. Plus only for 1-2 week. So if I submit the visa on arrival stamp on my first day, I still may not get the permits or approvals.

I'm just curious how other foreigners have gotten registered if they're visiting for the first time and only for a short duration of time. Sounds like CAAT will take a couple of weeks to process applications.

What do you mean "helped me out?" Did they direct you to CAAT and NBTC?

Can you even fly within Bangkok?

I've been trying to register with CAAT for a couple of months but they ask for all kinds of documents that I can't produce:

1. Visa on arrival stamp
2. Insurance policy showing my drone model and serial number.

NBTC it appears you can't register online, you have to go to office.

Unfortunately, I'm visiting Chiang Mai first and Bangkok last. Plus only for 1-2 week. So if I submit the visa on arrival stamp on my first day, I still may not get the permits or approvals.

I'm just curious how other foreigners have gotten registered if they're visiting for the first time and only for a short duration of time. Sounds like CAAT will take a couple of weeks to process applications.

Honestly I wouldnt bother. As a tourist it'll be near impossible and even getting the completed registration/ license in time in the end is unlikely.

I live in BKK and fly all the time(commercially and personally). The registration process is a b*tch. Ive never been stopped or hassled ever.
That being said i am very sneaky and almost never fly in public areas- but i do fly downtown night and day, which is illegal. Police dont care, security well...just fly safe..i dont think i need to tell you.

**Just stay away from temples, government buildings or anywhere else you have second thoughts about and you'll be fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent