DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing mavic to Sri Lanka

Nonamigo

Reactions
Hi guys. I am trying to get the permission to fly my mavic in Sri Lanka as it is mandatory to have it. I am struggling however. It is so not clear. So I wanted to ask if anybody visited Sri Lanka in recent months? Did you have any problems going through the airport customs? Did you have to declare it? Did you get the permission? Any problems from locals/police/security when trying to fly your drone? I would really appreciate your help guys.

Reactions: bkealey
As you have identified, the SL drone laws are pretty draconian. I was living there for a few years until recently and brought my Mavic in Singapore and carried it back into SL around December 16. At that time there was no regulation other than all of Colombo is a NFZ. Since then, the laws were updated a few times to the point where you basically mean you need personal permission from the Dept Secretary of Aviation (spoiler: that isn't going to happen). I learnt how serious they were when I did a flight around Galle Fort and got some great footage and was then detained and questioned from the local civil defence. Apparently the new laws were enacted only a couple of weeks earlier and the apps and online regulations hadn't been updated. I got let off as they hadn't published the updated laws clearly and in English at the time but my advice would be leave the drone at home. Sorry the news isn't better.

Thanks for your reply. I actually recently returned from my trip. I did try to get the permission and i found the officials very responsive.... Up until the moment i sent my form for review. No answer ever since. So i took the risk and brought my mavic with me. I flew with emirates so had to keep the drone in checked baggage. Couldn't access many places due to strikes and recent flood bud still have some decent footage. Have a look if you wish. Thanks.

Hi,
For all who may concern to fly drones in Srilanka. As per my knowledge there are regulations in order to fly a drone in Srilanka but if you plan to apply and be permitted, trust me you cant fly a drone in here complying all those regulations. My advice is bring your drones do not fly them near towns and archaeological areas specially famous and crowded places. do not near Army bases, Police stations, Navy or Air force bases. visit this link to find prohibited areas https://my-road.de/wp-content/uploa...ted-and-restricted-areas-as-of-2016-10-03.pdf
and you can register and find regulations on this link Welcome to Civil Aviation Authority

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest