DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing your drone to Australia

amankaa

Reactions
Hi everyone .. im new to this forum .. would like to know if any1 brought their drone to australia and their experiences . Also if there are any procedures

Depending on where you start will determine what you need to know. :)

I am flying from Singapore to Brisbane and intend to fly it in gold coast . But how do i bring it into Austalia

In carry on is best, though MOST airlines allow drone (even drone with battery) in check baggage.
Spare batteries must go in carry on, and isolate terminals to prevent shorts.
While there is no need to drain batteries at all, I personally think it’s a good idea.
I like to travel with them around 40% to 50% charge.

In Australia now there is not yet upcoming registration and hobbyist test, that starts sometime in the new year, so depends when you’re travelling.

You need to fly to our air authority (CASA) drone rules, I can post up a link when I get home as it’s easier.

Also we have the Opensky app, free which gives you important NFZs at airports or emergency locations, fires, accidents, that sort of thing.

Gold Coast ?
Use great care.
City of Gold Coast prohibits under bylaw using their parks, verges etc to operate any sort of model aircraft.

I will post you a link to that PDF later too.

But, with care and applying CASA rules and Opensky info, plus a darned good helping of common sense and consideration for others, you will be able to fly your drone in many places.

The really good thing about Queensland, is all National Parks are ok to fly, to the same criteria, CASA rules and Opensky for outside NFZs.

Will post up some links in a hour or two for you.

In carry on is best, though MOST airlines allow drone (even drone with battery) in check baggage.
Spare batteries must go in carry on, and isolate terminals to prevent shorts.
While there is no need to drain batteries at all, I personally think it’s a good idea.
I like to travel with them around 40% to 50% charge.

In Australia now there is not yet upcoming registration and hobbyist test, that starts sometime in the new year, so depends when you’re travelling.

You need to fly to our air authority (CASA) drone rules, I can post up a link when I get home as it’s easier.

Also we have the Opensky app, free which gives you important NFZs at airports or emergency locations, fires, accidents, that sort of thing.

Gold Coast ?
Use great care.
City of Gold Coast prohibits under bylaw using their parks, verges etc to operate any sort of model aircraft.

I will post you a link to that PDF later too.

But, with care and applying CASA rules and Opensky info, plus a darned good helping of common sense and consideration for others, you will be able to fly your drone in many places.

The really good thing about Queensland, is all National Parks are ok to fly, to the same criteria, CASA rules and Opensky for outside NFZs.

Will post up some links in a hour or two for you.
Hi many thanks for ur advice . Yes please send me the link ot will be very helpful for myself
By the way are u australian or have u broight ur drone to australia as a tourist .

Hi many thanks for ur advice . Yes please send me the link ot will be very helpful for myself
By the way are u australian or have u broight ur drone to australia as a tourist .

Maaaate !!
I’m an Aussie :)

Have flown many times on Australian travel with my drones, but not taken them OS yet.

I’m sure you’ll be fine but just double check your airlines policy.
Google [name of airline] drone battery lithium, you should get their relative info come up.

Watch out as I am aware Emirates have a no drones in cabin policy.
Maybe some others do too, or others may follow this in years to come.

@amankaa the links you may find useful . . .

CASA drone rules

OpenSky map (this is web view, free apps for IOS and android in the relative places)

City of Gold Coast Parks & Reserves bylaws, see page 7, item 12 (1) (c)

QLD National Parks drones policy, all ok to fly drones (apart from very few special reserves like Green Island), fly to CASA rules, fly considerately with other visitors in mind, and do not disturb wildlife.

This is their policy, but for the life of me, I can't find it on their website now !!
“For recreational purposes you do not need a permit to use a drone in Queensland’s National Parks as long as it weighs under 2kg, there are less than 10 people involved in the film shoot (i.e. the crew) and no buildings or structures are being filmed”

Most good parks are on the Main Range (part of the Great Diving Range) and a little distant from the Gold Coast (50km / 1 hr to Lamington NP).
Lamington National Park is a favourite of mine, it's in the Border Ranges (straddles QLD / NSW border area), and there are great walks and vistas. Binna Burra end is not too big a drive from the Gold Coast, a day trip with lots to see and short / longer walks.
Tamborine National Park is another very nice spot, but very popular with weekenders visiting.
Nerang State Forest is very close to you, I haven't been there but it looks quite big and a series of trails through there, so could be worth a look if you want to film some bush close by (20km).
Just watch the weather if going on any walks etc in our Summer, and check reports for fires too, we have a bad start with many now in NSW and QLD.

Hope that helps, you should have a great time here.
When are you arriving ?
Staying how long ?
Where else are you going to or is it a Gold Coast holiday only ?

Thk u very much Mavic South for all the information provided . Was very useful . Really appreciate it . Im coming on the 18th jan . Going to Vanuatu after tht with the drone for a short getaway . Thank you

If I may add to M.S.O's excellant info, be aware that Mount Tambourine is beautiful but does have a Hang gliding launch site, so be aware of that!!
The Gold Coast itself has lots of scenic flights happening.
Enjoy Down Under!

Last edited:
Im coming on the 18th jan

Good oh mate, that is pretty well into our summer, but you might be used to it.
Not sure if Singapore gets as hot, but we have a dry heat (the sun burns fast too), and although Brisbane region can get a little humid, I don't think it will be as much as you get . . . and humidity is something that affects a lot of people as much as 35 to 40c or higher temps.

Ha, it's 40c here now in Adelaide, one hot day between yesterday 30c and tomorrow forecast 25c, those northerlies blowing down today :)

Enjoy your trip, I'm up there from this Saturday until Dec 12th or so, a little bit of camping / droning, but mostly working a project up there.

Reactions: Simmo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair