DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Front Left Arm

TullyWhistles

Reactions
Hello all,

I'm new to DJI, having received the Mini 2 as a Christmas present from my kids. I'm having lots of fun with it and finding some business applications, too.

Well, today I was flying and it was behaving strangely, really drifting off course - I eventually realized that the arm (just below the motor) is broken. I've had a few small tumbles and it must have occurred during one of them. So, I'd like to fix it.

Does anyone know what plastic the arm is made from and a suitable glue that I might try? I've also reached out to customer support but am betting that they won't just sell a new arm to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Erik

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    957.3 KB · Views: 15
Yup Amazon has em. Couldn’t get a link to stick but here’s a screen shot.
2C728F33-E1B5-4D8C-875E-75EA568320F4.png
Welcome to the forum both of ya ?

Good chance it’s glass reinforced nylon.

I would be replacing the arm. It is obviously a critical component. Repairing things with glue is great in circumstances where failure has no likely significant consequence.

Reactions: TullyWhistles
Since you just got it, send it to DJI for repair. If you repair it yourself or have someone else do it, you void your 1 year warranty.

Did you get care refresh? If so, that's another reason to send it in as you then have a cap on the repair/replacement cost.

Thank you for the great ideas! I think that I’ll start with Amazon.

(Unfortunately I’m 48 hours past the 48 hours on the refresh. :( )

Reactions: dirkclod
Since you just got it, send it to DJI for repair. If you repair it yourself or have someone else do it, you void your 1 year warranty.

Did you get care refresh? If so, that's another reason to send it in as you then have a cap on the repair/replacement cost.
Fortunately, for anyone who might have believed it, your assumption here is simply and demonstrably wrong with respect to your claim non DJI repair might automatically void warranty.

They (DJI) might try it on however unless they can demonstrate the repair operation or a part used caused additional defects they won't get away with it. Obviously the broken arm isn't covered but if you claim on DJI for an unrelated issue you are covered unless they can demonstrate your repair to the arm contributed to the issue.

You might be surprised what customer protections are included in the consumer law. In your case have a look at the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It is specifically provided that Manufacturers can't void a warranty or deny warrant coverage simply because a consumer gets someone not authorised by them to perform the repair (this includes self repair).

Last edited:
That's good to know. Thank you!
I attempted this exact same repair on my MA2 and did a sloppy job of soldering the new motor onto the board, but was still covered by DJI refresh after the fact.

Fortunately, for anyone who might have believed it, your assumption here is simply and demonstrably wrong with respect to your claim non DJI repair might automatically void warranty.

They (DJI) might try it on however unless they can demonstrate the repair operation or a part used caused additional defects they won't get away with it. Obviously the broken arm isn't covered but if you claim on DJI for an unrelated issue you are covered unless they can demonstrate your repair to the arm contributed to the issue.

You might be surprised what customer protections are included in the consumer law. In your case have a look at the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It is specifically provided that Manufacturers can't void a warranty or deny warrant coverage simply because a consumer gets someone not authorised by them to perform the repair (this includes self repair).
I'll have to check but I believe the Magnuson-Moss act is with use of consumables and routine maintenance.
I hope you don't have to try and fight DJI for a warranty issue after having performed major repairs for prior damage.

I attempted this exact same repair on my MA2 and did a sloppy job of soldering the new motor onto the board, but was still covered by DJI refresh after the fact.
Refresh is OK, as they'll cover any non-deliberate damage with that plan, after you pay a deductible. I'm talking about a warranty issue, such as an IMU failure that causes a crash into a tree through no fault of your own.

I'll have to check but I believe the Magnuson-Moss act is with use of consumables and routine maintenance.
I hope you don't have to try and fight DJI for a warranty issue after having performed major repairs for prior damage.
So I read about the act. You're referring to the prohibition of tie-in sales such as:

In order to keep your new X Brand Lawnmower warranty in effect, you must use genuine X Brand Lawnmower Blades. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Y Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Requiring repairs to be done by an authorized repair center, of which in the USA is only DJI might not qualify as a tie-in sales.

So I read about the act. You're referring to the prohibition of tie-in sales such as:

In order to keep your new X Brand Lawnmower warranty in effect, you must use genuine X Brand Lawnmower Blades. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Y Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Requiring repairs to be done by an authorized repair center, of which in the USA is only DJI might not qualify as a tie-in sales.
No, I was referring to what I wrote.

Most jurisdictions have similar legislation- it is about making sure that manufacturers don't have unfair weasel out clauses in warranty conditions. DJI would not be able to refuse to fix a defect in the camera (seemingly related to defective materials/workmanship in manufacturing) on your Mavic under warranty simply because you replaced the arm for example.

Hello all,

I'm new to DJI, having received the Mini 2 as a Christmas present from my kids. I'm having lots of fun with it and finding some business applications, too.

Well, today I was flying and it was behaving strangely, really drifting off course - I eventually realized that the arm (just below the motor) is broken. I've had a few small tumbles and it must have occurred during one of them. So, I'd like to fix it.

Does anyone know what plastic the arm is made from and a suitable glue that I might try? I've also reached out to customer support but am betting that they won't just sell a new arm to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Erik
You can buy a new arm on eBay but not sure if the motor comes with it

Here's what I'm doing!

I ordered a leg from Amazon and at the same time I heard back from DJI. They wanted to review video of the leg with the tentative suggestion that I send it in. If it's covered under warranty (which I doubt) then I'll send it in. If not, they're prices seem pretty steep so I'll probably just use the leg which is due to arrive on Thursday. We'll see!

Reactions: mugsy1963
Just as a point, before you touch either the drone or the arm it might be wise to verify it is a mini 2 arm and not a mavic mini arm. The former are, I believe, stiffer than the latter so the construction may be different. You may need someone who has experience of both drones to differentiate between the two arms.
Oops belatedly I see it's already repaired. My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a point, before you touch either the drone or the arm it might be wise to verify it is a mini 2 arm and not a mavic mini arm. The former are, I believe, stiffer than the latter so the construction may be different. You may need someone who has experience of both drones to differentiate between the two
Not to worry. It says Mini 2 on it and feels just like the one that I took off. And it works :)

Nicely done Mate- cheaper and faster with the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I reckon that’s probably a 3 stubbie job unless you drop a screw.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3