DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Ice on Lake Erie

Nice shots, So how do you get to it if you have to land on the ice?
It's one thing to fly over water and lose it to the bottom but another if it lands and you just have to sit and look at it till the ice melts and it t would kill.

Reactions: Ramboat
Nice shots, So how do you get to it if you have to land on the ice?
It's one thing to fly over water and lose it to the bottom but another if it lands and you just have to sit and look at it till the ice melts and it t would kill.

This is where we’ll see another thread on a drone rescue with another drone [emoji6].
I flew across our ice breakup on St Clair river and had no issues except my camera settings (my fault).

Reactions: KennyInPa
Actually a drone with a claw might just be a good business venture. That scene from Toy Story comes to mind. "The Claw is our master, ;the claw chooses who will go and who will stay"images-1.jpeg

Reactions: genesimmons
Was that ice, broken up as it was, still fully frozen in place so it would have been safe to walk out onto it just in case?
I remember as a kid living in Montreal back in the 50's and early 60's, we'd routinely walk out on fully frozen ice that looked just like that to do some ice fishing.

No ice, that I know of can be walked across when it starts breaking up like that. In my video, the broken ice had started to flow down the river. When it breaks up, it’s very thin in spots and the ice blocks are seldom connected.

To a desert-loving, southern California guy like me, this is like scenes from another planet. :)

Reactions: KennyInPa
To be quite honest with I never thought about it going down. I haven't had any issues with my Mavic but I realize now that it could have been bad. I'm sure the ice wouldn't have been safe for my 275# body or anyone for that matter. I was only flying about 100 yards from shore but it still would have sucked to have had it go down within my sight and not be able to do much about it. I would have had lots of time to think about rescue operations though. :-(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54