DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Build and released a iOS app for DJI drone flight formation

wingmandami

Reactions
Someday about two years ago, I went out with friend and fly our DJI drones, we found it's difficult to fly two drones together tightly by our controlling, also we tried to take a shoot each other's drone while they were flying. It is not easy to located each other's drone though our FPV even they were flying above clearly sea. After that I found there may have solution to do it.

Almost for one year design and develop, Get through the App Store review and released few days ago.

Intro:

"Wingman for DJI" let you fly multiple DJI Drones together with your mates, it makes your drones keep flight formation automatically. Take photo and video for drones flying never be so easy.

Some picture shoot in test flight:
DJI_0102.jpg
DJI_0317.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg

Download from App Store
‎Wingman For DJI

Hope you enjoy it and give me some feedback.

I just downloaded it and I’ll check it out. I like the concept and the clean layout looks promising. You left out the best detail though... it’s free! You should lead with that ;)Thumbswayup

Ok first thing, you HAVE to add imperial units on here. I know us Americans are weirdos for using imperial but it isn’t our fault, it’s just how we were taught in school. Most of us Americans aren’t going to feel comfortable flying with this without being able to switch to imperial.

Reactions: Smalls
Nice. Now I have a reason to take both my P3S and mavic air out for flights.

Most excellent!

Reactions: QldKing
i just downloaded it cuz it looks really good, very clean and not cluttered with useless junk. I’m also one of the dumb Americans that needs that upgrade, thank you for making the change to help us. I see on one of the clips in App Store it looks like a radar and it shows the other drone. That’s fricken awesome!!!

I used this today and I like it a lot. I didn’t get to use the “auto-follow” mode but I do like the way the screen is set up. Very minimal with everything I need but nothing I don’t.

I like the way the app does “tap to focus” and spot/average/center metering. Much more intuitive than DJI Go 4.

The video feed was very smooth. Much better than some other SDK driven apps I’ve used.

Not having imperial units wasn’t as big of a deal as I thought it would be because the screen on the remote is still in imperial.

@wingmandami i have a question. Do I have to log into my DJI account to use “auto-follow” mode or what’s the purpose of having that as an option on here?

One small recommendation that isn’t that big of a deal but on the mini map if you could add someway to show what direction the home point is realitive to the aircraft. I know it does show that in the radar thing but I like to see the map when flying so I can avoid roads and such. Flying with it today I got myself turned around and didn’t know which way was home and couldn’t see it on the map. If I could suggest you add like a line from the arrrow that represents the aircraft back to the home point on the map, or just combine the “radar” and map into one thing maybe. I prefer not to have to take my hands off the controls to touch the screen whenever possible.

Looking forward to trying out the “auto-follow” mode!

Reactions: wingmandami
I used this today and I like it a lot. I didn’t get to use the “auto-follow” mode but I do like the way the screen is set up. Very minimal with everything I need but nothing I don’t.

I like the way the app does “tap to focus” and spot/average/center metering. Much more intuitive than DJI Go 4.

The video feed was very smooth. Much better than some other SDK driven apps I’ve used.

Not having imperial units wasn’t as big of a deal as I thought it would be because the screen on the remote is still in imperial.

@wingmandami i have a question. Do I have to log into my DJI account to use “auto-follow” mode or what’s the purpose of having that as an option on here?

One small recommendation that isn’t that big of a deal but on the mini map if you could add someway to show what direction the home point is realitive to the aircraft. I know it does show that in the radar thing but I like to see the map when flying so I can avoid roads and such. Flying with it today I got myself turned around and didn’t know which way was home and couldn’t see it on the map. If I could suggest you add like a line from the arrrow that represents the aircraft back to the home point on the map, or just combine the “radar” and map into one thing maybe. I prefer not to have to take my hands off the controls to touch the screen whenever possible.

DJI aircraft firmware requires mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user's DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircrafts, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

So if you did not see any warning form APP about this, and your drone works fine with no 30m height limitation or others, that you could just leave it.

It's a good point for add line to show from the arrow that represents the aircraft back to the home point on the map. User may needs detail map information to avoid somethings. But radar-view that's the purpose is not for helping navigation. It mainly for provides your aircraft and other aircraft relative position precisely more than on map.

Appreciate for your detailed feedback.

Reactions: brett8883
How the heck does the radar know where the other drones are at? It’s my favorite part of the app (duhhh), it just blows my mind that I can see another buddies aircraft ON MY DISPLAY. will it only show DJI aircraft? I don’t have any constructive criticism or things to add, so I’m just going to trip out over all the cool stuff you’re doing!!!

Last edited:
How the heck does the radar know where the other drones are at? It’s my favorite part of the app (duhhh), it just blows my mind that I can see another buddies aircraft ON MY DISPLAY. will it only show DJI aircraft? I don’t have any constructive criticism or things to add, so I’m just going to trip out over all the cool stuff you’re doing!!!

There is no magic things,first you need at least two iOS devices within 10 meters, each of them connecting a DJI drone,you need to connect the mobile devices though the peers-to-peers network which provided in this APP. Then information of drones could shared between mobile devices, and program could works.

Reactions: Smalls

In order to use auto follow, you either have to purchase fuel for 99 cents or lifetime for 7.99, when you read through the features you will understand. I haven't purchased yet, but I will in a heartbeat when I test it today...

Someday about two years ago, I went out with friend and fly our DJI drones, we found it's difficult to fly two drones together tightly by our controlling, also we tried to take a shoot each other's drone while they were flying. It is not easy to located each other's drone though our FPV even they were flying above clearly sea. After that I found there may have solution to do it.

Almost for one year design and develop, Get through the App Store review and released few days ago.

Intro:

"Wingman for DJI" let you fly multiple DJI Drones together with your mates, it makes your drones keep flight formation automatically. Take photo and video for drones flying never be so easy.

Some picture shoot in test flight:
View attachment 65433
View attachment 65435
View attachment 65436

Download from App Store
‎Wingman For DJI

Hope you enjoy it and give me some feedback.
I'm pretty impressed just from the graphics alone, I will purchase the lifetime of fuel for 8 bucks,as it seems well worth it.. I will let you know results when I give it a whirl shortly... I like the options to change color of the HUD... Well done, thankyou

I just sent Ken Heron (Youtube Drone Content Creator) an email message telling him of the existence of this application and its capabilities. I think he could make some great content using this application to fly multiple DJI drones and capture the flight(s) in synchronicity.

I am hoping we will see him develop some content based on the use of this application. It will be interesting to see what zany uses he can come up with.

Thanks for developing this and look forward to the updates that you have planned based on member suggestions and recommendations.

Looks nice / there is a bit of a layout issue on the iPhone XS at least where the screen layout is not accounting for the “notch” and the photo button is partially hidden and some or the menu bar is right up to the edge

Reactions: wingmandami
Looks nice / there is a bit of a layout issue on the iPhone XS at least where the screen layout is not accounting for the “notch” and the photo button is partially hidden and some or the menu bar is right up to the edge

I am still using iphone 6s :oops:

Reactions: QldKing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest