DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bulged battery

Dedal

Reactions
I searched a bit, didn't find what I want to know, so here goes: I know that, when battery start showing the bulge, the end is near... At least, that's what I picked up browsing the net. Still, if the bulging isn't VERY noticeable, is there ANY way to continue to use those batteries any longer? I have three Mavic Air batteries, one is brand new, one is... Well, OK (slightest amount of bulging starting to show) and the third is showing the belly nicely. I wasn't trying to open the casing, puncture the cells te release the gas, nothing like that, although it was "sugested" by few YouTubers, just wandering... The heavily bulged battery still charges normally, capacity seems OK, but when I try to insert it into the Mavic Air, it barely fits, I need to press down on it harder for it to lock. Mavic Air turns on and everything, just, I don't trust that battery anymore, so I'm not fling that one anymore. I'm guessing it's a chemical reaction, resulting in physical appearance, and ther's no software way to go to try to salvage it. So... Recycle? Man, those things are not cheap...

you have already answered your own question in the first line of your post
never use a battery that has swelled to fly your drone
dispose of them at a battery recycling outlet that has the facilities to make them safe

Reactions: Jeff A and Thomas B
You are, of course, right. I knew that, just wanted some additional opinions, perhaps some other perspective... But, yeah, as I thought. Recycle, buy new one... Thanks.

Reactions: old man mavic
You are, of course, right. I knew that, just wanted some additional opinions, perhaps some other perspective... But, yeah, as I thought. Recycle, buy new one... Thanks.
sorry if i appeared to be blunt but there was no other way to say it really battery replacement costs are part of drone ownership,batteries even the ones in expensive electric vehicles,only have a finite life span

You can keep the bulging battery and just use it for non-flight purposes such as firmware updates or if you want to play with the drone while its on the ground (e.g. camera settings). Few things I found with the Air batteries:,

* They get way too hot after a flight - Remove after you land and let them cool
* Don't keep them fully charged more than a few days

And follow the usual LiPo best practises for your remaining batteries.

You can keep the bulging battery and just use it for non-flight purposes such as firmware updates or if you want to play with the drone while its on the ground (e.g. camera settings). Few things I found with the Air batteries:,

* They get way too hot after a flight - Remove after you land and let them cool
* Don't keep them fully charged more than a few days

And follow the usual LiPo best practises for your remaining batteries.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I will try to keep remaining ones (and new ones) in good shape.

Bulging is from the release of GAS within the sealed battery indicating the battery is breaking down. Often the battery will charge and "Function" seemingly normal but you lose PUNCH and capacity and ultimately will have a total failure (likely).

Since the battery is a Single Failure Point (in flight would mean falling to the ground like a brick) it's not something you want to "tempt" with your aircraft. We have a couple of "slightly" puffed batteries we use for updating, testing settings, and charging USB devices but once we notice visible swelling it doesn't go IN THE AIR any more.

Reactions: Bobvt
Bulging is from the release of GAS within the sealed battery indicating the battery is breaking down. Often the battery will charge and "Function" seemingly normal but you lose PUNCH and capacity and ultimately will have a total failure (likely).

Since the battery is a Single Failure Point (in flight would mean falling to the ground like a brick) it's not something you want to "tempt" with your aircraft. We have a couple of "slightly" puffed batteries we use for updating, testing settings, and charging USB devices but once we notice visible swelling it doesn't go IN THE AIR any more.

Understood. I thought so, and just like it was said above, I'm gonna keep it for now just for convenience sake (firmware, calibration...), I don't fly that battery anymore anyway. Thanks, and given that (thankfully) my reasons to question the bulged battery's ability to fly were confirmed, this thread can also be closed.

Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Understood. I thought so, and just like it was said above, I'm gonna keep it for now just for convenience sake (firmware, calibration...), I don't fly that battery anymore anyway. Thanks, and given that (thankfully) my reasons to question the bulged battery's ability to fly were confirmed, this thread can also be closed.

Thank you.

We like to leave threads open so others can interact and learn from our conversations. If you don't want to get notifications of any new posts to this thread just click the IGNORE THREAD button up above your first post :)

Safe Flights,
Allen

We like to leave threads open so others can interact and learn from our conversations. If you don't want to get notifications of any new posts to this thread just click the IGNORE THREAD button up above your first post :)

Safe Flights,
Allen

No problem, didn't know that, it's OK. And no, I'm not gonna "ignore" anything, I like to red what the others have to say, right now browsing the forum and there's (almost) always something good to read. Thumbswayup

Reactions: BigAl07
Here is more information about batterys.
1. Keep dry and protected from rain & moisture.
2.Let it cool down after flying.
3.Never charge battery warm.
4.Store battery's at 50% or less.
5.Never store battery's fully charged.
6.Know safe temperatures.
7.Don"t store in hot places.
8.Any cracking or swallowing of battery don't use.
9.Never insert a battery or remove battery that is on.
10.Never charge battery unattended.
11.Protect terminals and battery's during transit.
12.Blow out terminals - use compressed air.
You can check this out your self, to make sure I am correct.

1. Keep dry and protected from rain & moisture.
2.Let it cool down after flying.
3.Never charge battery warm.
6.Know safe temperatures.
7.Don"t store in hot places.
8.Any cracking or swallowing of battery don't use.
9.Never insert a battery or remove battery that is on.
10.Never charge battery unattended.
11.Protect terminals and battery's during transit.
12.Blow out terminals - use compressed air.
You can check this out your self, to make sure I am correct.
Well, at least I'm gonna try... 1, 2 and 3 - Not doing that. Nr. 4 - I read abut it here in the forum, didn't think about it, so I didn't care. Nr. 5 - I've done it. Often. 6 and 7 - Kinda knew about it...? Nr. 8 inspired this thread... Nr. 9 and 10 - Never done that. 11 and 12 - Didn't do it. Until now. Thank you.

Lately, my batteries show some bulging at the end of flight and are very warm. After they cool, the bulging goes down and I charge them. One battery shows no bulging and two show some. I will monitor them as I use them and at some point I will replace them. I am starting to monitor cell balance, usage and temp to see if I can judge their health and set limits.

Lately, my batteries show some bulging at the end of flight and are very warm. After they cool, the bulging goes down and I charge them. One battery shows no bulging and two show some. I will monitor them as I use them and at some point I will replace them. I am starting to monitor cell balance, usage and temp to see if I can judge their health and set limits.
Recommend not using bulged batteries, especially for flight. I had one that I checked preflight and found no bulge... 10-20 seconds into flight suddenly only had a couple of minutes flight time.. fortunately I was close and landed. Battery was only minimally bulged on post flight inspection.
Don’t risk it!

How many charges? How old are they? I'm afraid they are going to the end, showing signs of doom...

Recommend not using bulged batteries, especially for flight. I had one that I checked preflight and found no bulge... 10-20 seconds into flight suddenly only had a couple of minutes flight time.. fortunately I was close and landed. Battery was only minimally bulged on post flight inspection.
Don’t risk it!
You are right, of course...

Can you expound on this? What do you consider "storing?" Are you saying if I charge my batteries up the day before going out to use them, it's bad for the battery? Or do you mean long-term storage?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98