DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Burnt gimbal ribbon

Brian45

Reactions
My ac started to smoke around the gimbal area. I noticed that ribbon cable was burnt and after disassembly of gimbal i noticed that the board of gimbal motor had melted plastic around it so did the ribbon cause the burn or gimbal motor melt the ribbon. The burn on ribbon is not near the burnt plastic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200228-162732_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-162732_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20200228-162707_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-162707_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Most likely there was a high current demand from the gimbal motor, probably caused by a short of some kind. That current was too high for the ribbon cable, being as the conductor is flat and has minimal area, the resistance there was higher. The over current generated the heat to burn the ribbon cable. All just an educated guess without taking stuff apart.

Reactions: jimlips
My old MPP did this, too. How old is your Mavic? Mine was a couple of years old, and I had many hours of time on it. I wrote it off to the gimbal being worn out. There are sensor potentiometers on each gimbal motor to report their position to the gimbal controller. If they get worn out, they will report back to the controller that the position is not what it really is, so the gimbal will keep trying to power that gimbal motor to a specific position, and eventually burn it up. One gimbal motor on mine got so hot, I couldn't touch it. I ended up sending it back to DJI and used my refresh to get a replacement MPP.

Update I replaced gimbal and ribbon and its fixed. I was going to just put new ribbon cable but didnt want take a chance on burning a brand new ribbon cable.

Update I replaced gimbal and ribbon and its fixed. I was going to just put new ribbon cable but didnt want take a chance on burning a brand new ribbon cable.
Hey where did you buy the gimbal?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore