DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Business pictures in No Fly Zone

Skeeter1850

Reactions
I’m a newbie, bought a Mavic Pro to do some video photography or get some pictures for advertising of my business. I’m a mile and a half from the airport, my controller comes up no fly zone and I can’t take off. I know of others that are getting it done , 1 in particular that is doing a project right at the airport filming progress construction of the new hanger. I was hoping someone could shed a little light on how it can be done. I only need to go up maybe 50 to 75’. I would never do anything illegal or that would endanger people!!!! I tried contacting the other person to hire him but he is not returning calls and from one person that did speak with him and he has stopped taking on work as he has more than he can handle. I welcome any advice.

OK lets start with the basics
If you have not registered your drone as a commercial drone, AND taken and passed the FAA Part 107 Airmans test, you can not LEGALLY use your Drone tor commercial purposes, and what you described is commercial use and prohibited as a hobbyist

Now if you were Licensed Part 107, and you were in controlled airspace, you could apply for a waiver to fly where a hobbyist is not allowed to fly, and that would allow you to fly NEAR an airport if granted. If you were Part 107 and in uncontrolled airspace you could legally fly 1.5 miles from an airport

Without knowing the airport, or the class of airspace, I can't help you.

But again, if you are not licensed commercially, and you fly where you are not supposed to, and something goes wrong or someone drops a dime, it is not going to go well for you

I’m a newbie, bought a Mavic Pro to do some video photography or get some pictures for advertising of my business. I’m a mile and a half from the airport, my controller comes up no fly zone and I can’t take off. I know of others that are getting it done , 1 in particular that is doing a project right at the airport filming progress construction of the new hanger. I was hoping someone could shed a little light on how it can be done. I only need to go up maybe 50 to 75’. I would never do anything illegal or that would endanger people!!!! I tried contacting the other person to hire him but he is not returning calls and from one person that did speak with him and he has stopped taking on work as he has more than he can handle. I welcome any advice.

If you have your Part 107 certificate you would know the answers to these questions. If you don't have your Part 107 then you need to hire someone else to take the photos anyway.

I appreciate the information and my intentions are to get my 107 just to understand the laws, not to become a commercial pilot for hire as from my understanding the insurance is expensive and I already own 2 other business and don’t need more to do. So to be clear on one of the replies it is illegal to take pictures of your own property and use them for advertising on my own website? I really appreciate the help as I don’t ever do anything half way or illegal..

It is my opinion that if he takes pictures or video with the intent of using them for anything but personal use then it is commercial use promoting your business

Take a picture and hang it on your living room wall .... personal use

Take a picture, use it on a website promoting your business, take a picture and use it in a commercial brochure to promote the business... commercial use.

Use the drone to look at your roof to see the condition... personal use

use the drone to perform an inspection in the course of writing an estimate or damage appraisal for your business... commercial use

Now that being said, the chances of you getting caught, charged, or fined is less than the chances of hitting Powerball, but if something does go wrong while you are doing this, including flying in controlled airspace and getting picked up by one of the detection units DJI has handed to law enforcement, it has the potential to be costly.

Reactions: Kilrah
I appreciate the information and my intentions are to get my 107 just to understand the laws, not to become a commercial pilot for hire as from my understanding the insurance is expensive and I already own 2 other business and don’t need more to do. So to be clear on one of the replies it is illegal to take pictures of your own property and use them for advertising on my own website? I really appreciate the help as I don’t ever do anything half way or illegal..
If you are making reference to taking pictures (with your drone) and posting on the website, then YES!!!, you do require a part 107 (in the furtherance of a venture). If you are referring to the taking of pictures (with your trusty phone or camera), then you do NOT need a 107. When you start using your drone in conjunction with ANY aspect of your business, YES, 107 required. These are areas of study that are readily available on the FAA web.

If it makes you feel any better, as a Private Pilot I can't take pictures for commercial use or take anyone up to take pictures for commercial use.

Before Drones, doing Real Estate flights was a nice sideline for people who had the hours and passed the tests ( and FAA Medical exams) to make some side money, and if you were trying to get hours in your log book to get to ATP hours, they were hours you could log and get paid for ( not much but you were not paying someone in order to get hours )

The reason I have a 107 is because it was an easy work around to what was Part 336 ( now repealed bending new rules) restrictions, plus I can apply to fly in controlled air space that would otherwise be off limits. I have not made dollar one from my drone, but I can give my pictures away to friends who can use them in their business endeavors such as roofing brochures and real estate.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
If it makes you feel any better, as a Private Pilot I can't take pictures for commercial use or take anyone up to take pictures for commercial use.

Before Drones, doing Real Estate flights was a nice sideline for people who had the hours and passed the tests ( and FAA Medical exams) to make some side money, and if you were trying to get hours in your log book to get to ATP hours, they were hours you could log and get paid for ( not much but you were not paying someone in order to get hours )

The reason I have a 107 is because it was an easy work around to what was Part 336 ( now repealed bending new rules) restrictions, plus I can apply to fly in controlled air space that would otherwise be off limits. I have not made dollar one from my drone, but I can give my pictures away to friends who can use them in their business endeavors such as roofing brochures and real estate.
Absolutely correct! Nothing in the rule book says I must charge for taking pix, only that I have the Part 107 license. I can take pix all day long if I want, but I also do NOT have to accept payment for them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ