DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BUY a mavic mini or not? (fcc and ce are a problem)

chasperr

Reactions
Hey, im new
im thinking about getting the mavic mini fly more combo but now i just found out about FCC and EC. and because i live in Europe i get EC wich is not the good one. can anyone advice me about i should buy it or not? and how far can it actually go here? i have seen ads that say 4km but thats obviously FCC, but can it go 2km or only 500m? i saw both numbers in a few online stores and am a bit worried that ill buy a drone that can only fly 500m far...

Wait two more days and get the Mini 2 with OcuSync 2.0 (no Problems with the range with that (around 6km in EC))!

I have had slightly over 2000m over open sea, at a height of 60ft or so, from a UK spec mini which should be the same as an EU spec. Bearing in mind that your visual range is likely to be a lot less than this, it is all you need for legal flights.
The range may be reduced by buildings, trees and intervening ground and perhaps this is where the FCC or maybe the OcuSync 2.0 mini 2 wins BUT those vision/signal blockers would also likely take the mini out of your sight i.e. you would NOT be flying VLOS.
The question then becomes what would be the price difference?
To my mind the mini is perfectly satisfactory and I would certainly not buy a new Mini 2 if I already owned a functioning Mini '1'.
Would I buy a mini 2 if I did not already own a Mini 1, that would depends on the price, the hands on reviews and the price difference between a new mini being cleared out by a retailer and a new Mini chased by those who must have the latest thing.

The Mini 2 will be € 50,- more.
Here is a good overview of all the improvements: MAVIC MINI 2 - UPDATE | Latest Leaked Photos and Spec Info
(4k-Video, OcuSync 2.0, better wind resistance, photo-raw, panorama-mode, new controller, and still under 250g...)
As a serious question, is the new controller much of an upgrade? If so why?
I must admit I think I prefer the idea of the flight mode switch on the controller rather than in the app but with regards to anything else I am not certain.

I have had slightly over 2000m over open sea, at a height of 60ft or so, from a UK spec mini which should be the same as an EU spec. Bearing in mind that your visual range is likely to be a lot less than this, it is all you need for legal flights.
The range may be reduced by buildings, trees and intervening ground and perhaps this is where the FCC or maybe the OcuSync 2.0 mini 2 wins BUT those vision/signal blockers would also likely take the mini out of your sight i.e. you would NOT be flying VLOS.
The question then becomes what would be the price difference?
To my mind the mini is perfectly satisfactory and I would certainly not buy a new Mini 2 if I already owned a functioning Mini '1'.
Would I buy a mini 2 if I did not already own a Mini 1, that would depends on the price, the hands on reviews and the price difference between a new mini being cleared out by a retailer and a new Mini chased by those who must have the latest thing.
same here, it will depend on the price of the mini 2

Assuming the price difference is under 100 Euros (and it will be), Mini 2 is a no-brainer compared to Mini 1.
As a serious question, is the new controller much of an upgrade? If so why?
I must admit I think I prefer the idea of the flight mode switch on the controller rather than in the app but with regards to anything else I am not certain.

I've never used the old controller cos my first and only drone is the Air 2. But for me, the new controller looks intuitively much better. It feels more natural to have the screen on top and the grip is more ergonomic. Also, you don't need to take phones out of their cases to fit it on the controller. Finally the biggest advantage for me is the bigger battery. It's so handy to not have to worry about my phone battery much on a drone day trip, because my controller has enough power for a day of flights (4 or 5 batteries) AND charging my phone as I fly.

Thanks, though I disagree with your first sentence, however and meaning no offense, "to each his own".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123