DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy iPad Min 4 or Keep 7 Plus

Superdaddy

Reactions
I have a iPhone 7 Plus and I am generally satisfied with it for flying the MP. It's not perfect but it's ok.

These days the iPad mini 4 is regularly on sale and I'd buy one if it would be better flying experience.

I know the 7 Plus screen is brighter, but maybe the size and anti-glare of the iPad makes it a much better experience.

For those of you who have (or had) both the 7 Plus and the iPad Mini 4, which one do you use to fly with? I'm interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hi supadad !
Started with the iPhone 7 Plus and now with the iPad mini 4 wifi and cellular. No doubt with the iPad you will have a better flying experience !

You won't regret it for sure ! You can see so well !! It's a greater pleasure to fly ! I won't fly again with my iPhone... too small... not enough confortable...

I encourage you to have a mount ! Check Thor's drone V3.

Some pics

aaf59b664f001b15dbbda3848008d015.jpg

c63a818a11c2b949acc2b1dc9a5c9860.jpg
3c9e2c245a6d346a4eb0fd988002db4d.jpg
420f46562cd3a6651f229b2f8cb9b8f4.jpg

Don't hesitate if you have question [emoji6]

Go watch a 55" TV for a while. Then try watching a 40" TV for a while and tell us which one you prefer.

I tried using my phone (7) ONE time since having my iPad Mini 4. I didn't even make it through a whole battery and haven't tried it again since.

So since I just went through this same dilemma I will comment.

One thing I noticed on the mini 4 is the reflection it seems to have. I could see myself so well I could probably put in my contacts while flying hahaha.

What I did to eliminate that is install a matte type anti glare screen protector and a pgytech sunhood and it is awesome now.

So I'd say the mini 4 needs at the very least a sunhood and antiglare screen protector.

I originally purchased the mini 4 over the k1 because it would fit into the rc without a mount. Now that I have it,it's not bad but.
The cons of it in the Rc mount.
1. The right arm of the Rc mount comes into contact with the p-mode/ sport mode switch on the side.
a. The fix I found was I cut about 3/8 of an inch off the lower corner of the arm problem solved!

2. It does seem to kick your hands out causing you to push your sticks up and in a little.

a. The fix just be aware of the issue and adjust.

3.The sunhood Kinda exaggerates the way your hands kick out imho. And it also pushed in a little on the top corners towards your screen.

a. The fix deal with it hahah.

4.The lightning cable is right where your palm rest on ipad putting stress right on the Port of the ipad. If you have small hands you'd probably be fine.

a. The fix get a right angle lightning cable from phantomhelp or drone valley.

Other than that I don't really have any other problems with it. One thing I'd say if you don't think your gonna need a mount with the mini 4 I think you will change your mind eventually like I have I am waiting for the right mount to fit my fancy. When it does show up I will be buying it.

All in all if you want to see a good sized screen and have a near flawless OS for the app IOS seems to be the one everyone and his brother are using.

On thing to note I got the 128gb none cellular iPad. Nothing wrong with it other than losing a few functions. But those are easy to get back with a standalone gps. Also if you go with the non cellular iPad you will have to update maps while connected to some sort of data. And one flaw I have found is that sometimes something goes wonkey in the app and it won't load any map so you have to sync you flight records uninstall and reinstall the app.

Don't get me wrong here the mini 4 is great you can go buy one and fly with it stock right out of the box.
The things I mentioned are minor and wouldn't have changed my mind at all on the purchase of my mini 4.
Just my 2 cents!![emoji12]

5.5 ?? Too small dude !!!

Have flown many hours with the Mavic and 5.5" CS with no issue. Yes, it's the same size as an iPhone 6 or 7 Plus but with 1000-nit brightness it makes seeing a smaller screen much better compared to an iPhone. Love the 5.5" on Mavic, 7.85" has been too bulky for a run and gun portable which is what the Mavic is best for.

Reactions: Wingo
I started with my iPhone 7+ but that was too small. I then went to the iPad mini 4 (GSM but no SIM for the mapping) and it was much better. Glare - Yes, but the MavMount and a Hoodman hood greatly reduced that problem.

I am now waiting for DJI to release the 7.85" CrystalSky Ultra (and have pre-ordered it through Advexure) to be able to fly without the hood and in the brightest sunlight. Only downside to any of the (3) DJI monitors is the inability to load 3rd party software. DJI has the stand of, "If It Ain't DJI, It Ain't Going. On A CrystalSky" which is limiting. But at 2,000 nits, it's a remarkably bright monitor.

Good Flying

Reactions: Wingo
I use a iPhone 7+ without issue. It's the perfect size for compact traveling,and flying! I'm 68 years old,so if my eyes can see it,anyone's eyes can! LOL! and my go to sunshade is a this! Works perfectly! Flying Chair.jpg

Agree with above, the 7+ is great, the Mini 4 makes travel (backpacking etc.) a hassle, I have used both, but far prefer the ergonomics and size of the iPhone 7 or 7+, much easier to hold and transport IMO. You can still see details perfectly well.

I have an iPhone 7 plus 256gb as well as an iPad mini 4. I have tried all kinds of different phones and tablets Android and iOS. I prefer iOS and the iPad mini 4 over everything I've tried.

Buy the iPad mini as it allows you to see more and have one more "ability" (I.e. how the wind is affecting your drone + the map). That is just personal opinion as I used to use the iPhone 7 and went to the mini. Have a great day and great flights!

I started with my iPhone 7+ but that was too small. I then went to the iPad mini 4 (GSM but no SIM for the mapping) and it was much better. Glare - Yes, but the MavMount and a Hoodman hood greatly reduced that problem.

Did you not tether the iPad to your phone to get the maps?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica