DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying advice greatly appreciated

Stevieve

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I am currently considering buying a Mavic Pro. I had a lesson on Sunday with a P4 Pro and have well and truly been bitten by the bug.

Due to budget, etc. I currently have the choice between a Mavic and a P4. My main reason for purchase would be photography and video. I am a keen amateur photographer and would see the drone more or less as another camera, albeit one that can fly.

The Mavic has several advantages to me - portability (more likely to use it more), less noise (I will be doing some horse videoing), and performance/cost.

The controller is the main sticking point. Firstly, I would like to use an Ipad Pro 9.7" with it for an increase in screen brightness. I understand that I can do this using a third party Mavmount. Any advice on these would be appreciated.

Secondly, some reviews have said that the controller isn't good for those with big hands. Being 6'4", I have big hands. Has anyone here had any issues similar to this.

Any other advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a good day,

Steve

Well, if budget and portability are main issues, then you have pretty much sold yourself on the Mavic as opposed to the P4 - Although, the camera is supposed to be better on the P4

I am an amateur photographer too, but went with the Mavic purely on the portability factor. Have also seen some great photos/videos from the Mavic, so the difference in quality for me was negligible compared to the P4, being only an amateur.

I purchased an iPad 4 mini yesterday (yet to fly with it due to weather), but did fit it to the controller (no mount required) and have a sun hood coming for it.

My main problem was the screen size when I was previously using my iPhone 7 plus and the sun.

Everyone gets sun glare, only the crystal sky would be able to compete with that, hence getting a sun hood.

I went for the ipad mini 4 as opposed to a larger ipad with mount as I have read a lot of favourable reviews regarding the ipad 4 mini. Another thing that put me off a larger ipad was the added weight factor of the larger tablet w/ mount and its portability.

I am fairly new to drone flying, but this forum and youtube are fantastic resources and have helped me spend loads more money than I originally planned to lol.

Well the price is pretty close for either one. I would say it boils down to camera vs portability. The P4 camera is better than the Mavic's but the mavic travels well. I don't think hand size is an issue, I have big hands and I don't have a problem.

Honestly, for a first quadcopter, I don't think you'll notice or miss the difference in camera quality on the mavic compared to the P4. There is a huge difference but I was like you and bought the P4 for the camera to take on hikes with me and it sucked carrying that beast around. I couldn't really go on any hikes that were longer than a day trip because I had no room in my pack for sleeping bag, tent, food etc...
Also, the remote on the P4 is cumbersome in my opinion, I like its simplicity and sturdiness but its not practical for what you want to do. Its a finger width smaller than the hobby transmitters out there but its in no way portable. If you can use a game console controller then the mavic controller should be no problem. Its like a playstation or Xbox1/360 controller.

About the ipad on the mavmount that is a great idea and many people use that and have a great time. Its a worthy investment.

I was under impression that standard P4 and mavic cameras are essentially the same, just with slightly wider FOV on P4 (not talking about P4P with its lovely large sensor!)
So I would go with Mavic, just for portability,as you're not really loosing anything vs the standard P4.

As other have stated...portability = Mavic

I would like to use an Ipad Pro 9.7" with it for an increase in screen brightness. I understand that I can do this using a third party Mavmount. Any advice on these would be appreciated.
There are a lot of 3rd tablet mounts available. Here are some of the commonly used mounts:

Isome reviews have said that the controller isn't good for those with big hands. Being 6'4", I have big hands.
With the Mavic remote controller arms folded out, it's nearly the same size (height & width) as a Phantom remote controller. I find it just as comfortable to hold with a phone (or tablet mount) wedged between the remote controller arms. I'm only 6'1" though ;)

Last edited:
Just want to share my viewpoint. I currently own Mavic Pro, bought it several months ago from www.aeromotus.com The main reason for me was portability and camera because I travel a lot and I had no opportunity to carry Phantom with me (though I really appreciate the camera of this drone). It is very easy to use Mavic with a remote controller, no issues (even for big hands)))) Besides, this drone makes really amazing footage. The battery life allows to fly around 25 minutes. I have an additional battery with me but I don't use it frequently.

The best camera to have is the one you have with you. Mavic camera is OK, so I opted for portability. Didn't even consider the Phantom. In your case, If you plan your shoots, and are never far from motorized transportation, Phantom. Portability, go Mavic. Camera, go Phantom

The iPad 9.7" won't fit between the arms on a mavic controller. The iPad Mini fits fine, but just barely. For the 9.7, you'd need a mount as listed by msinger, above. I use the Pgytech. It fits a 9.7, it's well made, it's aluminum, and only 21 USD.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian