DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying an Air next week!! Tips?!

Rustedfrog8

Reactions
I am buying a Mavic Air on the 22nd when I get the last $100 I need for it. I have been watching tons of video about recommended setting changes. I am going to buy a landing pad and MAS propellers when I purchase it. I will have three medium sized cards instead of just one large one. I would like to know more tips or recommended videos to help before I really get to flying. Thanks in advance!!!

I am buying a Mavic Air on the 22nd when I get the last $100 I need for it. I have been watching tons of video about recommended setting changes. I am going to buy a landing pad and MAS propellers when I purchase it. I will have three medium sized cards instead of just one large one. I would like to know more tips or recommended videos to help before I really get to flying. Thanks in advance!!!
I just purchased a Mavic Air 6 days ago. I spent 5 days trying to pair my iPhone 6, phone 7, and iPad mini4 to get the drone flying. The app would just close on me at different stages of looking and adjusting it. Sometime closed immediately after opening it. Chatted with DJI people and they asked me if I had enough memory....I have plenty....took my old iPhone 6 and emptied it of everything except djigo4 and still no go. They then told me to take a video of the steps that I took...I took 2 videos and sent them to them. Finally after my 3rd chat when I spoke with Chard, he told me that they were having a problem with apple and the dji software. They indicated to me that they would have it fixed by the middle of the month....I doubt it.....They also told me to use a different device other than an apple. (this is why I don't think they will have it fixed in the next 3-4 days)....I don't think that I should buy an android because of their problem.....I loved the videos of the unboxing and set up and flying.....Looks like a GREAT drone; but it also looks like I won't be flying mine soon. Tried to return it, but there are problems that I have incurred with that.
Don't buy if you are using an apple product until you know they have had their "engineers" fix the problem.
"

Practice in beginner mode in an open area until controls are instinctive. Then practice in P mode until same occurs as the response will be more dramatic.
And read this... the full 60 page DJI manual as it will not come with the drone:

Thank you. Will do. Between watching videos I have been reading drone rules. I want to make sure I fly responsibly and don’t become part of the problem that is making it harder to fly.

I just purchased a Mavic Air 6 days ago. I spent 5 days trying to pair my iPhone 6, phone 7, and iPad mini4 to get the drone flying. The app would just close on me at different stages of looking and adjusting it. Sometime closed immediately after opening it. Chatted with DJI people and they asked me if I had enough memory....I have plenty....took my old iPhone 6 and emptied it of everything except djigo4 and still no go. They then told me to take a video of the steps that I took...I took 2 videos and sent them to them. Finally after my 3rd chat when I spoke with Chard, he told me that they were having a problem with apple and the dji software. They indicated to me that they would have it fixed by the middle of the month....I doubt it.....They also told me to use a different device other than an apple. (this is why I don't think they will have it fixed in the next 3-4 days)....I don't think that I should buy an android because of their problem.....I loved the videos of the unboxing and set up and flying.....Looks like a GREAT drone; but it also looks like I won't be flying mine soon. Tried to return it, but there are problems that I have incurred with that.
Don't buy if you are using an apple product until you know they have had their "engineers" fix the problem.
"
Wow. This is the first time I’ve heard of this.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I am buying a fly more combo. And when I get the money I think I am also going to buy a set of filters. Haven’t decided. Some things say it’s a must and some say if you have the right settings it’s a waste of money.
@Florida Drone Supply still has stock
Maybe you can save the tax

Good advice on reading the forums here (especially the crash / fly away threads), saving and referring to the manual (often), learn it's way inside out . . . YouTube - Air first flight tutorials - use that string to search YT, the big open oval / sports ground with no trees etc for your first flights and testing features like flight modes, RTH, etc.

Also, just fly for a while, get that right before getting into photos and video, that and editing is another new thing to learn after flying well.
Do try and get that one photo on your first flight, have it set to camera and auto before take off so you don't need to much about with it in the air.
It's always good to get that shot to remember your first air time in the new hobby. (Assuming it's your first.)

Enjoy.
My BIL loves his Air, but has written one off into a cliff.

Good advice on reading the forums here (especially the crash / fly away threads), saving and referring to the manual (often), learn it's way inside out . . . YouTube - Air first flight tutorials - use that string to search YT, the big open oval / sports ground with no trees etc for your first flights and testing features like flight modes, RTH, etc.

Also, just fly for a while, get that right before getting into photos and video, that and editing is another new thing to learn after flying well.
Do try and get that one photo on your first flight, have it set to camera and auto before take off so you don't need to much about with it in the air.
It's always good to get that shot to remember your first air time in the new hobby. (Assuming it's your first.)

Enjoy.
My BIL loves his Air, but has written one off into a cliff.

I have a Yuneec Q5004K. But it’s to big for most of the things that I want to do with it. I travel a lot and bought it used on a whim. An awesome drone. But not for what I want to do with it. So I’ve got it for sale right now. I’ve read enough to know that the Air is a whole new animal.

I am buying a fly more combo. And when I get the money I think I am also going to buy a set of filters. Haven’t decided. Some things say it’s a must and some say if you have the right settings it’s a waste of money.

The fly more combo is definitely a good idea as the additional batteries are more than welcome.

If you plan to shoot videos ND filters are a must in my view as you just have a fixed aperture and the only thing you can do is shorten the exposure time if you have too much light. As a side effect of that you will get an unnatural and mechanic look, so ND filters are necessary.

I have a Yuneec Q5004K. But it’s to big for most of the things that I want to do with it. I travel a lot and bought it used on a whim. An awesome drone. But not for what I want to do with it. So I’ve got it for sale right now. I’ve read enough to know that the Air is a whole new animal.

You should be able to fly this thing standing on your head pretty quickly :)
Just check all the functions and features, and get the best / safest flights from your new machine :)

The fly more combo is definitely a good idea as the additional batteries are more than welcome.

If you plan to shoot videos ND filters are a must in my view as you just have a fixed aperture and the only thing you can do is shorten the exposure time if you have too much light. As a side effect of that you will get an unnatural and mechanic look, so ND filters are necessary.

Thank you for that tip. A lot of the videos I have watched talk about shooting flat and then fixing in editing. But I don’t even know how to edit at all. Or what software to use. So knowing that a ND filter will fix some of that really helps.

Reactions: Butterfly Copper
Thank you for that tip. A lot of the videos I have watched talk about shooting flat and then fixing in editing. But I don’t even know how to edit at all. Or what software to use. So knowing that a ND filter will fix some of that really helps.
Look for a program called DaVinci Resolve 16. It is a video editor that has color grading capabilities. If you search on YouTube for "DaVinci Resolve 16 color grading tutorial", you should find plenty of tutorials.

Reactions: Butterfly Copper
Look for a program called DaVinci Resolve 16. It is a video editor that has color grading capabilities. If you search on YouTube for "DaVinci Resolve 16 color grading tutorial", you should find plenty of tutorials.
I will check that out once I’m more comfortable flying. I hope to one day be able to do some commercial work. I know at least one realtor in the area that hires their drone needs out from time to time.

I use Resolve too and can recommend it (I started with Blender with is nightmare regarding user experience for beginners).

But you should also mention that color grading is one of the more complex tasks you can do with Resolve. I would start shooting footage with the default color configuration of the drone and would learn Resolve using a tutorial about the basics of project /media management, cutting and rendering.

If you are confident enough in these areas use the "cinematic" color schemes of the drone and do the color grading later. By doing this in two steps you would avoid to be overwhelmed by all of the thousand parameters that Resolve gives you to tweek your footage.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherlab
Download the manual and read. Then read again. The Air will do so much. Forget photos to begin with. Learn to fly and check out all the Air can do. Taking good photos wont stop it crashing if you get it wrong.

Reactions: crosswired
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61