DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying an osmo pocket

RonanCork

Reactions
Hi Guys

Newbie question here. I'm doing a job next week videoing a friend's house and property - ariel shots using my mavic air 2 drone.

I want to also get some ground based shots in 4k.

I looks like the osmo pocket maybe it's what I want to use for the ground based stuff. Does it have any internal storage or just a micro sd card.

Any thoughts or suggestions any of you guys have. Never used a ground based 3 axis gimbal before

Thanks Ronan

Reactions: TCMini
Only a micro SD card

I just bought a osmo pocket and like it a lot. But it works better with the DJI acessories. Control wheel, extension rod, holder, etc.. Also grip that has a phone mount. (much better to connect and secure phone.

I'm getting familiar with mine. Watched a few videos and have most recommended accy. It's a fairly steep learning curve with a separate subset of tasks for each of several configurations. Standalone it's small and gets great shots but the screen is tiny and you need a lot of familiarity to use it with any efficiency. Add the control wheel and it's better. Used in a mount with your phone it's an almost entirely different set of controls. Remote it to your phone from a mounted location and you have another set of possibilities. Plan on many hours of practice if you need pro quality footage in a short time window without multiple re-dos. Cache the video on your phone or you have to take the SD out and play on a desktop to see much of what you got.

had mine 5 months now it is very good no complaint, get the charger case for it aswell

Hi Guys

Newbie question here. I'm doing a job next week videoing a friend's house and property - ariel shots using my mavic air 2 drone.

I looks like the osmo pocket maybe it's what I want to use for the ground based stuff. Does it have any internal storage or just a micro sd card.

Any thoughts or suggestions any of you guys have. Never used a ground based 3 axis gimbal before

Thanks Ronan
I love my Osmo Pocket. It only has an SD card. No internal storage as far I can tell. I also have the Osmo Action which I. LOOOVE. I actually use both of them and like them equally. The pocket would be adequate for your needs.

Last edited:
I have an Osmo Pocket. And learning to use it. I also have the control wheel, but do not use it. I find moving the camera slowly moves good smooth panning. You will also want a good way to solidly attached a phone to it so you have a larger screen to shoot with. I would recommend this one from PGYTECH as it is well made, is compact for storage, and gets good reviews. I got a cheaper one and wish not I went for this one.

Another thing to consider is a Z-Axis Stabilizer. Search for this on YouTube and you will see people discuss why it is desired. You could try to learn the 'ninja walk' to avoid the bouncing up and down, but your success rate may vary (I am not a good Ninja Walker!). This is the one from TOMAT that I bought and I am happy with it. If you go this route, you will likely also want the DJI WiFi Adapter so you can also use your phone with the Z-Axis stabilizer. I have the WiFi Adapter as well, and it works well with this Z-Axis stabilizer, but it is a close fit.

Another option entirely is to consider the Fimi Palm instead of the Osmo Pocket. It gets good reviews and has some distinct advantages - its cheaper (a lot cheaper if you are also considering the control wheel and WiFi adapter for the Osmo) and it includes a 5-function button eliminating the need for a separate control wheel, has built in WiFi adapter so eliminate the need for that as a separate purchase, and has the benefit of a wider field of view, which could definitely be handy for real estate videography. One negative that comes to mind for the Fimi Palm (there may be others, so check YouTube comparison videos) is that the built-in audio mic is not as good as the two mics on the Osmo Pocket, but that is not likely a concern for you in real estate video.

Reactions: Shrug and 1buddyc
Have you thought about just using your drone and holding it? No need to fly it, just walk around with it to get nice stable videos and pictures. :)
Yes- you can video with a hand held drone but if you want to really dive into video, I don't think that would be the most pragmatic way to go. Video cameras today come in a wide price range, and even lower resolution cameras like 1080p produce nice and acceptable results. I would think that a hand held drone would be the most impractical way. I do not think that a hand held drone has image stabilization either, like the Osmo Pocket or Osmo Mobile 2 or Osmo Mobile 3 (using an iPhone) a=or the Osmo Action (like GoPro), all three of which have great stanbilization. I know because I use them all.

Hi Guys

Thanks Ronan
I just got a gently used osmo zenmuse x3. I would think if there was sufficient natural light it would be fine. Best of luck.

I just got a gently used osmo zenmuse x3. I would think if there was sufficient natural light it would be fine. Best of luck.
Another thought- iPhone 11 Pro Max has great 4 K and image stabilization.

Osmo Pocket is really nice. I used a GoPro with FeiyuTech 4-axis Gimbal before that, so it's a nice change in comparison. I highly advice to buy the ND filter set with though, as the captor sometimes fail to make the best transitions by sunny weather. As for the micro-sd card, as mentionned above, SanDisk Extreme Pro all the way. I didn't see the need for the other accessories for now, but screen scrolling can be sometimes difficult, so i use to set up the cam with DJI mimo on my smartphone before filming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143