DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying Mavic, need advice on what to get

max2me

Reactions
Hello,

I'm getting ready to buy Mavic Pro, this would be my first full-size quad. I have a few questions in regards to it:
  • What accessories would you recommend getting?
    Both official and 3rd party.
  • Is it worth getting Deluxe Bundle?
    I dont really care about their shoulder bag as I'd like to get hard case padded with foam for mavic and then use my own backpack to carry it in.
  • Is it worth getting Refresh Care insurance?
    I want to take it with me to Maui in June and I live in PNW with plenty of lakes, so having insurance against accidental water damage seems pretty attractive. Yet I've always been skeptical of "extended warranties".
  • Anything else I should consider before making a purchase?
This would be just for hobby, I still don't know exactly why I need it, but I know that I really want one :)

Thank you!

Reactions: hychewright
Hello max2me and welcome to the forum. This is what I suggest IMHO....

1 landing gear extension, see Drone Valley they have them for $13 I believe and a nice small hard shell carrying case.

2 Yes, I think you are talking about the FlyMor package. I bought it and well worth the money for me. You'll love the extra batteries as they come in handy and the charger that can charge up to 4 batteries (not all at the same time).

3 I did purchase the Refresh Care insurance. Good insurance to know if something goes wrong or breaks it's covered. Would not fly without it also being a new Mavic pilot.

4 As you fly more and read this forum you will probably see the accessories you think you'll won't.

Have fun with your new Mavic, I've had mine for 2 months and love it. I would suggest that you read all the tip's about the Mavic if you haven't already. Have fun and safe flying.

Reactions: dewster
Skip the flymore and just buy extra batteries and extra ac chargers. The bag is not your thing and the car charger simply does not work and is grossly overpriced. Buy a charging hub and the USB charging adapter.

Buy a car charger from amazon for 20 dollars. Those actually work with the engine off while the $50 DJi car charger only works with engine running.

You may also qualify for a discount. Check their website or pm me.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
My opinion

Essential:
1. Additional batteries
2. Phone with large screen and powerful processor
3. Travel bag

For me these are the most important. Batteries are self-explanatory. The phone is because some of the more impressive third party apps (litchi, pix4d, etc) don't seem to be as well optimized as Go4. I've had litchi crash multiple times, and every time it does its a pretty serious butt-puckering moment. Anyhow, enjoy you new goodie! It's an amazing piece of hardware.

Mavic.

Screen - the quality and size of the Sony Z3, anything else is ridiculous.

Patience.

A good carry bag.

Two extra batteries.

In that order.

What accessories would you recommend getting?
Here are some must-have items:
  • A few extra set of props (each set contains 2 props)
  • Case/Backpack (I like the Go Professional hard case)
  • Extra battery for every additional 20 minutes you want to fly each time you head out
  • Memory card reader to transfer your photos/videos to a computer for viewing/storage/editing
  • Extra memory cards (if you're not going to be able to copy the files off your memory card for days on end)
Is it worth getting Deluxe Bundle?
It's worth it if you are going to use everything in the bundle.

I want to take it with me to Maui in June and I live in PNW with plenty of lakes, so having insurance against accidental water damage seems pretty attractive
It's very attractive if you're able to recover your Mavic. Most insurance policies don't cover situations where the Mavic is lost.

Last edited:
The fly-more-combo is definitely the package you need to buy. You can keep flying while the extra batteries are charging.

Extra propellors you need anyway and the car charger is handy as well.

The bag is to tight to my opinion; it will damage your propellers so I use it for the extra batteries, chargers, propellors and cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: dewster
I like the Flymore bundle. The extra batteries, and chargers make it worthwhile. The extras will keep you from buying more accessories.

I think having a hard case or shell is a must if you travel. While you may be careful those around you may not. I don't know how many times my soft case had things tossed onto it while sitting in a car. Now imagine public transportation like a plane, bus etc. The hard part is finding a hard case small enough to be practical. MC-Cases makes a compact Mavic Pro case that's backpackable. There are also soft/hard shell cases that offer reasonable protection minus the heft and bulk of a hard case. Think portability.

Memory cards are a must.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54