DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying my first drone - Which one to get?

cowsgonemadd3

Reactions
I am in the market for my first real drone. I was given a cheap sky viper toy drone 2 years ago and really fell in love with air toys. As a kid I always wanted a remote controlled helicopter but I read they were hard to control so I never bought one.

I have been saving for the last 6 months for a drone. I am looking at a few options.

I really think I should get one that shoots 4k. I liked the small size of the spark but its limited air time and 1080p video does not cut it. It is outdated out of the box. I have a 4k tv so why not make 4k content?

My budget is not enough for a new Mavic 2. Simply too expensive for a toy.

So this leaves me with the Mavic Air and a Used Mavic Pro/Platinum. I have around 700 to spend. Even that stings a bit, not because I dont have it but I do not usually spend so much on toys.

I like the mavic pro but feel it might be a bit dated compared to the pro 2. The mavic air is newer with more features but stays in the air less time. I read the gimbal on the pro has issues and the air has it updated and is better. The 4k video on the air and the pro are similar and look good enough for me to start out with.

If you were buying used what would you look for? I am looking on ebay at either a lightly used mavic air or a pro with extra batteries and such. I have seen many with low flight time and no crashes for good deals. I would rather someone else take the hit on buying the extra batteries and carry cases. It seems they hold their value pretty well though.

Thanks for any input!

I am in the market for my first real drone. I was given a cheap sky viper toy drone 2 years ago and really fell in love with air toys. As a kid I always wanted a remote controlled helicopter but I read they were hard to control so I never bought one.

I have been saving for the last 6 months for a drone. I am looking at a few options.

I really think I should get one that shoots 4k. I liked the small size of the spark but its limited air time and 1080p video does not cut it. It is outdated out of the box. I have a 4k tv so why not make 4k content?

So this leaves me with the Mavic Air and a Used Mavic Pro/Platinum. I have around 700 to spend. Even that stings a bit, not because I dont have it but I do not usually spend so much on toys.

I like the mavic pro but feel it might be a bit dated compared to the pro 2. The mavic air is newer with more features but stays in the air less time. I read the gimbal on the pro has issues and the air has it updated and is better. The 4k video on the air and the pro are similar and look good enough for me to start out with.

If you were buying used what would you look for? I am looking on ebay at either a lightly used mavic air or a pro with extra batteries and such. I have seen many with low flight time and no crashes for good deals. I would rather someone else take the hit on buying the extra batteries and carry cases. It seems they hold their value pretty well though.

Thanks for any input!

I would try to find a slightly used good condition Mavic Pro Platinum. The price of the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum are the same but there are some differences. The Pro Platinum has more efficient higher rpm motors, quieter props, and a cool finish. Also check Mavic Pilots for drones as members sell used ones for good deals! Good luck and please let me know which drone you decide to get!

I would try to find a slightly used good condition Mavic Pro Platinum. The price of the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum are the same but there are some differences. The Pro Platinum has more efficient higher rpm motors, quieter props, and a cool finish. Also check Mavic Pilots for drones as members sell used ones for good deals! Good luck and please let me know which drone you decide to get!

Good advice. You cant go wrong with any of the Mavic lineup, but the Mavic Pro and Platinum are my favorites..

I agree with not going wrong with anything Mavic. However, the Spark is a really great drone. It doesn’t shoot 4K like you mentioned, but unless you have a computer and software to edit that 4K on, it’s pretty useless. You also have to keep in mind the price of batteries and other accessories. I owned the Spark before I got my M2 and loved that thing to death. Still regret selling it.

You have to decide what you're willing to pay for, and what you can live without based on cost.

I could have afforded the M2P, but decided I preferred the zoom option and didn't need the 1" camera with its extra camera functions considering the extra cost for them.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Where will you be flying it ? City or remote .
If it’s city with lots of wifi I would go the pro/platinum, if it’s more remote the air is a good unit for 4k. I have mates with spark ,pro and air. The footage off the spark unedited is very very good surprisingly the air is next in terms of straight out of the drone then the pro IMO .
It all comes down to what you want to achieve and if you want to do any editing.

Reactions: WAXMAN

Thanks for any input!
I just saw this if you decide on a Air

Unopened Flame Red Mavic Air Fly More Combo

I have a 2 year old Core I5 Cpu desktop computer i bought for basic video editing. I have made a few extra bucks with youtube videos for many years. I have never messed with 4k content but know the file sizes are large. I believe the software I have will edit 4k, if not the upgrade is like 50 bucks.

I am guessing the 1080p looks better when coming from the mavic pro vs the spark? All of the other drones stay in the air way longer than the spark. Batteries change out quickly?

I live out in the country. I would only fly it in parks that allow it (appears many do not now) and out in rural areas. My family owns a farm so lots of open land to fly it in.

Do any of the drones have reliability issues? If I can fly a sky viper well then these will be even easier.

I liked the mavic air because of the new safety features. Is the pro still a better choice?

You have to decide what you're willing to pay for, and what you can live without based on cost.

I could have afforded the M2P, but decided I preferred the zoom option and didn't need the 1" camera with its extra camera functions considering the extra cost for them.
you can buy the pro camera as a stand alone part and swap cameras with the one MP body. It appears to be easy according to the YT videos. I think Rob with Thunderdrones cautions people doing this to be sure to line the pins up correctly. Being appropriately careful, it appears to be easy.

Hi Rob...I would have to assume you have the MP Zoom, and the MP2 (M2P?). When you state the MP and MPP are your favorites, which MP, are you referring to?

I think the OP was trying to decide between the Mavic Pro and Platinum. Currently, the finest horses in my stable are the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom. I own a few of both, but some are missing arms, legs etc that were stripped for parts. Truly magnificent machines. I try to fly one at least a few times a week just to be awed and humbled. Not joking! Sometimes I feel Im not worthy of them. The future in the palm of my hands. The insides of them are also works of art and engineering. Ok, I'll stop fawning now.

I have a 2 year old Core I5 Cpu desktop computer i bought for basic video editing. I have made a few extra bucks with youtube videos for many years. I have never messed with 4k content but know the file sizes are large. I believe the software I have will edit 4k, if not the upgrade is like 50 bucks.

I am guessing the 1080p looks better when coming from the mavic pro vs the spark? All of the other drones stay in the air way longer than the spark. Batteries change out quickly?

I live out in the country. I would only fly it in parks that allow it (appears many do not now) and out in rural areas. My family owns a farm so lots of open land to fly it in.

Do any of the drones have reliability issues? If I can fly a sky viper well then these will be even easier.

I liked the mavic air because of the new safety features. Is the pro still a better choice?

It depends on what you want. When I got my drone it was between the Mavic Air and the Mavic Pro Platinum. I got the Pro Platinum and I am glad I got it. There is more flexibility with the Mavic Pro Platinum. I would recommend it over the Mavic Air.

Reactions: Former Member
I think the OP was trying to decide between the Mavic Pro and Platinum. Currently, the finest horses in my stable are the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom. I own a few of both, but some are missing arms, legs etc that were stripped for parts. Truly magnificent machines. I try to fly one at least a few times a week just to be awed and humbled. Not joking! Sometimes I feel Im not worthy of them. The future in the palm of my hands. The insides of them are also works of art and engineering. Ok, I'll stop fawning now.

I feel the same way! LOL!

Reactions: Former Member
I have around 700 to spend. Even that stings a bit, not because I dont have it but I do not usually spend so much on toys.
Drones aren't toys brah, they're a lifestyle:cool:

Seriously though, to most people here, drones are a creative tool. Imagine a serious musician looking to get a new guitar. Would he call it a 'toy'? Yes, it would be fun to play (and drones can be fun to fly), but its primary purpose is art.

CPU is important to video editing, but it's your graphics card that'll determine how your machine handles 4k footage. I have a Core i5 with GTX 1050 Ti. 4k editing isn't really an option, so I record everything in 4k, edit it on a 1080p timeline, then copy the project onto a 4k timeline when I'm ready to export. Works like a dream. I suggest you get Davinci Resolve (it's free) and do the same. If your footage is still lagging on a 1080p timeline (which it probably will), then use Resolve's stellar Optimized Media function (proxies, basically). Your edit will be smooth as butter.

I tried Davinci Resolve and did not like how it worked. I have Power Director and like how it works better. Its got a lot of features for under 100 bucks. I have no graphics card in this computer at the moment. I had plans to buy one almost 2 years ago but never did. I know I would need one to edit 4k. Maybe that is the excuse I needed haha.

I am honestly comparing the Mavic Air, Pro and even the spark. The spark is great except for the 10 minutes of flight time and short range. I guess a bit over a mile is far enough though in most situations.

I like the Pro Platinum, just wish it had the newer tech the mavic air or spark has as far as sensors.

All these guys can give you Pros and Cons for every drone out there. I too had the same dilemma just a short time ago. Joined the forum to to get as much information as possible. Me, I purchased the Mavic Pro 2. WAY more drone than I needed. But, when it all comes down to it, your the one that has to live with your purchase. I kinda feel like old "Sfusiondj" does, the possibilities of these flying machines are endless.
I say, go with your "dream machine". Live by the old saying, "You only live once" and either way you go, your wife will be jealous of the dam thing taking so much of your time.

Drones aren't toys brah, they're a lifestyle:cool:

Seriously though, to most people here, drones are a creative tool. Imagine a serious musician looking to get a new guitar. Would he call it a 'toy'? Yes, it would be fun to play (and drones can be fun to fly), but its primary purpose is art.

Huum, I call my 800hp Camaro and my $1.5million crane a toy. If I have fun with it, it's a toy. I like hearing somebody describe something as a toy, lets you know they don't take life too seriously ;-)

As far as the drone goes. I've had two DJI's. My first was Phantom 3 Pro that I got refurbished from Newegg. I absolutely enjoyed the heck out of it, it was just way too big to bring out to the jobsites. The bag with everything was as big as something you'd expect to see on a cross country hiker. So I got the MPP and loved it too, but I have it in a hard case that looks like a Pelican case and I can take it anywhere and set it up in seconds. As far as imaging, there isn't a ton of difference in the quality you can get out of the two, but as far as night shots and video goes the Phantom killed it.

I know you weren't asking about the Phantom, but I figured I'd throw it in there anyway. I'd say get a refurbished MPP. It's certified to be like new so you don't have to worry about somebody selling you something they wrecked already.

Last edited:
Look at DJI for refurbished Mavic Pro or Platinum. DJI list them for as low as $500 on ebay. Also you can get "CARE REFRESH" on a refurbished drone if purchased from DJI. There refurbished drones are virtually new with no signs of wear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60